Gransnet forums

AIBU

throw away society

(56 Posts)
Mishap Sat 31-May-14 17:01:03

And the bikes, skates, scooters etc that all get left in the garden to rust in the rain - even the newly-bought ones! I bite my tongue! But boy does it bug me!

We wiped down our bikes if we had been out in the rain and stored them in the shed.

rosesarered Sat 31-May-14 16:50:17

I hate it as well.I don't like to see anything go to waste, which is why recycling is good. You can give things away on Freecycle rather than throw them away, and give unwanted things to charity shops.I too keep books and toys for the DGC to play with [that used to belong to our DC.]
I suppose plastic garden toys are ok left out if it rains, but not other things which will spoil or rust.It's a sign of the times, all is disposable, because there is so much more money around.There must be, because the coffee shops ,all hundred of them in my nearest town [ok slight exaggeration there] seem to be bursting with people at all hours downing a coffee priced at £2.50.

Soutra Sat 31-May-14 16:45:50

sad sad I am afraid you are only too right. I just wish I had kept more of the DDs "hard" toys such as lego, duplo, brio train sets , Fisher Price and the "big yellow teapot" as I could have had a stash for the DGSs when they visit. Lack of storage space meant they went to the charity shop eventually but only after many years of happy use by 3 little girls.

ninathenana Sat 31-May-14 16:37:46

No it's not just you. I started a thread not long ago about my disappointment that DD had allowed DGS to spoil the train set we had carefully stored in the loft from when she and her brother were small.
To often it's a case of 'oh well we'll get a new one' SiL is majorly guilty of this. Lawnmower out in all weathers, push bike rusting in garden, yes they do have a shed. It makes DH cringe.

granjura Sat 31-May-14 16:37:44

It is not just you- it really upsets me.

Silverfish Sat 31-May-14 16:25:28

Is it just me but I seem to see such a lot of waste by the younger generation, older ones too but not so much. For example, I was visiting DD the other day and on each side of the fence were lots of kids plastic toys just left in the rain, when my DD was young I brought the toys in and kept them clean, either putting big toys in the shed and smaller ones in the house.
This also seems to happen with clothes, I see neighbours with clothes on the line for days on end often trailing in the mud, I often see kids trainers in gardens. Do these people not realise that much expense can be saved by looking after things. After all you can sell good condition stuff on e bay or a car boot sale. I kept toys from my DD for 25 years and have given them to DGD when she stays, does no-one do that anymore.
I was also asked by a charity for clothes that DGD has grown out of, while I did donate some, I kept most just in case we have another little one. I know of at least 2 mothers, who, every Xmas, take a binbag and dump every toy in the house and the kids get new ones but surely they get attached to some toys and I think this is terrible. Any comments or is this just me being me