Gransnet forums

AIBU

To object to the Sun being delivered with my post?

(116 Posts)
GrannyTwice Mon 09-Jun-14 08:56:48

I know I'm not - I'm furious. I shall put it in a large envelope and send it back to the Sun ( unstamped of course) . The thought of that example of all that is wrong with the moral values of certain sectors of modern Britain dropping onto my doormat makes me so angry angry

durhamjen Mon 09-Jun-14 15:23:01

No idea, Ana. Depends what's in the paper, I would think, and it's still controlled by Murdoch, I think. Doubtless you would put me right if it isn't.

janerowena Mon 09-Jun-14 15:37:24

I felt slightly invaded when the UKIP propaganda entered my house via the letterbox. I don't like any of it much, but definitely felt sullied by that leaflet. The Sun would make me feel the same.

durhamjen Mon 09-Jun-14 15:38:49

Have just been reading my Guardian. It had a very strange wrap today, a greaseproof paper four page ad for Sky channel 123 launching tonight.
Murdoch is on the offensive.

GrannyTwice Mon 09-Jun-14 15:58:48

'Only a newspaper' - wow, just wow!! And it's because I've got a life that I care very much about this sort of issue- cogito ergo sum

durhamjen Mon 09-Jun-14 16:03:22

Well said, GrannyTwice. I will put my Sky ad in with the Sun when I get it, and hope they have to pay even more!

papaoscar Mon 09-Jun-14 16:42:21

I shall take example from HRH the POW and his old clothing by setting fire to the Sun, in my garden, without even opening it!

annodomini Mon 09-Jun-14 17:06:09

Mine will be in the post straight away too. Abhorrent rag!

mcem Mon 09-Jun-14 17:25:58

Don't think it applies in Scotland but if it did I'd gladly join you. Until recently my broadband/ landline was with O2. O2 was then bought over by Murdoch group so I cancelled and moved to Virgin. In the process of cancellation I was asked my reason for leaving them and simply replied 'Rupert Murdoch'. I had the impression that I was not alone in saying this! Unpleasant to the last, they told me that as I'd paid a month in advance, that sum would be refunded. A month later I was told that, after adjustments, I was entitled to £18! Can't budge them on it!

granjura Mon 09-Jun-14 17:28:04

ninny, I really think it is rude to tell people to 'get a life' because someone objects to the tactics of Mudoch and his cronnies. You are of course entilted to your opinion and disagree with those who are incensed about this (and I would be)- but please do not insult them for being upset about this.

BeeWitch Mon 09-Jun-14 17:47:58

The Sun is very absorbent and ideal for placing under cat litter trays, and then you can empty the contents into it. It's a load of c**p anyway, so completely fit for purpose.

Ana Mon 09-Jun-14 18:02:02

granjura, perhaps ninny meant to be rude. It isn't against Gransnet rules after all, although you could be forgiven for thinking so these days!

ninny Mon 09-Jun-14 18:03:39

granjura I am sure GrannyTwice can speak for herself!
GrannyTwice I think therefore I am, are you trying to show how intelligent you are!

FarNorth Mon 09-Jun-14 18:25:29

When you send your unstamped envelope containing the S*n, why not also write something on the outside of the envelope in protest / explanation / whatever you like.

Ana Mon 09-Jun-14 18:38:36

They don't have to accept unstamped mail. By making your feelings clear on the envelope they'll probably choose not to do so.

GrannyTwice Mon 09-Jun-14 19:01:19

Ninny - it rather loses something in the translation. As for your comment about my wanting to show my intelligence.....confused . I don't need to - its self-evident grin

papaoscar Mon 09-Jun-14 19:07:25

Destination for the free Sun - consigned to the blackest, darkest corner of the universe, there to languish for ever and ever more.

annodomini Mon 09-Jun-14 19:57:01

papaoscar - did you have in mind somewhere 'where the Sun don't shine'? grin

papaoscar Mon 09-Jun-14 20:28:21

AnnoD - that thought hadn't even entered my simple mind, but now that you mention it..

Bun123 Mon 09-Jun-14 23:36:42

To have this rag in my house would defile it.
Uggggg!!

ninathenana Tue 10-Jun-14 14:57:51

I don't like it or Murdoch and everyone is 100% entitled to their opinions. I am however surprised at the depth of feeling shown by some.

mollie65 Tue 10-Jun-14 19:26:38

just recycle it - it has already cost them to send it out
I do that with unwanted Labour party diatribes having first ripped them to pieces.
It is annoying but so is a lot of the stuff sent through the post.
ninny I admire your forthrightness

goldengirl Tue 10-Jun-14 22:30:35

I like the idea of posting it back stamp-less. I think I'll do that if I get one, which seems that I might!

Ana Tue 10-Jun-14 22:42:06

But as I've pointed out before, no one has to accept unstamped mail.

Surely the Sun staff will have been alerted to this sort of backlash and certainly won't be authorised to pay not only the postage, but the £1 'admin fee' charged by the Royal Mail...?

But if you really feel your protest gesture will make a difference, do go ahead grin

Elegran Tue 10-Jun-14 22:46:04

If they get a lot of unstamped returned papers to refuse, it might bring it home to them that it was not a popular move.

durhamjen Tue 10-Jun-14 22:51:02

I agree, Elegran. If we just recycle it, they will not know the extent of our annoyance. The Post Office will still have to take the bags to the Sun offices in order for them to refuse them.