Gransnet forums

AIBU

To object to the Sun being delivered with my post?

(116 Posts)
GrannyTwice Mon 09-Jun-14 08:56:48

I know I'm not - I'm furious. I shall put it in a large envelope and send it back to the Sun ( unstamped of course) . The thought of that example of all that is wrong with the moral values of certain sectors of modern Britain dropping onto my doormat makes me so angry angry

Iam64 Fri 13-Jun-14 08:21:38

Ours is in a large brown envelope, no stamp, on its way back to the Sun Editor - I wonder how Royal Mail will get its money from the Sun…..

janthea Fri 13-Jun-14 09:46:25

Mine is in a envelope addressed to the Sun's freepost address.

harrigran Fri 13-Jun-14 09:53:50

The only people to suffer from this appears to be the postmen, nice to add to their loadhmm

Elegran Fri 13-Jun-14 09:54:16

Iam64 and others from wikipedia - you ned a permit number as well as the word Freepost.

"Freepost is a postal service provided by various postal administrations, whereby a person sends mail without affixing postage, and the recipient pays the postage when collecting the mail. Freepost differs from self-addressed stamped envelopes, courtesy reply mail, and metered reply mail in that the recipient of the freepost pays only for those items that are actually received, rather than for all that are distributed.

In the UK, freepost envelopes can be hand addressed by the sender; this simply requires including the word ‘FREEPOST’ and the recipient’s permit number as part of the address. (This technique can not be used to send mail to merely anyone, who would then have to pay for it; the permit number and the recipient address must match for the recipient to be billed .) "

Elegran Fri 13-Jun-14 10:16:31

Well, I have Googled and Googled and cannot find any Freepost permit number for the Sun.
But here is the Twitter account of David Dinsmore, the editor - https://twitter.com/davedins

and his Linkedin page - uk.linkedin.com/pub/david-dinsmore/a/66b/425

Their ordinary address is "The Sun, 3 Thomas More Square, London, E98 1XY "
Or
"Customer Services, News Corp UK and Ireland Limited, 3 Thomas More Square, London E98 1RL"

Elegran Fri 13-Jun-14 10:25:52

And here is their Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/thesun/timeline
They say "We actively encourage fans to comment and engage in discussions related to Sun content" so take them at their word!

Ana Fri 13-Jun-14 10:29:00

"fans"? hmm

Elegran Fri 13-Jun-14 10:37:56

They are a bit oldfashioned on the Sun. Fans are what Facebook viewers used to be called, when it was mostly populated by showbiz personalities with fan-clubs.

sunseeker Fri 13-Jun-14 11:25:36

I thought you could use Freepost if you quoted the post code.

annodomini Fri 13-Jun-14 11:57:47

Any company (or charity or political party, for that matter) using Freepost has to have its own Freepost code, not an ordinary postcode.

Elegran Fri 13-Jun-14 12:02:09

The individual code is needed so that the unpaid stamp can be charged to them. Otherwise anyone could send anything to anyone else with "Freepost" on it and not the recipient would have to pay. Not good when you think of all the junk mail that comes through our letterboxes. Imagine having to pay on each of them? And then some bright spark would think of sending out "free" samples by Freepost that we would have to pay the postage on.

All post is supposed to have the postcode on, stamped or not.

Elegran Fri 13-Jun-14 12:02:43

A surplus "not" in there, sorry.

Lona Fri 13-Jun-14 15:12:08

Well, I'm very angry annoyed as I've received a second b****y Sun in the post today!
Stuffed it in the postbox again.

annodomini Fri 13-Jun-14 16:01:17

Perhaps Wilmslow got the Poynton copies, Lona. grin

Lona Fri 13-Jun-14 16:31:10

Maybe grin