Gransnet forums

AIBU

To tattoo or not to tattoo !

(79 Posts)
NanKate Tue 10-Jun-14 20:06:43

Just read in the paper of a young girl who had applied to British Airways for a job and at the interview she admitted she had four tattoos 'they are discreet and girlie'. Her interview was terminated at that point.

I wonder what Gransnetters think.

To get the ball rolling I think BA were right - tattoos in my opinion are cheap and tacky. I am waiting to be bombarded by tattoo lovers ! wink

boheminan Fri 13-Jun-14 19:55:24

suzied just about any reputable Tattooist can take a tattoo from your own design. You should discuss it first, taking the proposed design in. I can't see why a Cath Kidston should be a problem

NanKate Fri 13-Jun-14 19:21:24

You need to be asking yourself Suzie will you still be pleased with your proposed tattoo when you are 80 ? If the answer is yes go ahead, if not why don't you treat yourself with the money you would have spent at the Tattoo Parlour.

I wanted fluorescent socks when I was 14, I'm pleased now that I never got them grin

suzied Fri 13-Jun-14 18:39:45

I am seriously thinking of having one for my 65th birthday. Maybe something floral...is there a Cath Kidston tattoo ?

TriciaF Fri 13-Jun-14 14:58:55

Good point about no longer being "edgy" rockgran.
How much do they cost? the amount of time some people must sit around in tattoo parlours, I couldn't afford it or be bothered.

rockgran Fri 13-Jun-14 09:22:39

We had a lovely hot day at the seaside yesterday so there was a lot of bared flesh around. I was amazed at the number of tattoos on people of all ages. I felt as if I was the odd one out. It seems that tattoos are now so prevalent they are no longer "edgy". What next, I wonder?

boheminan Fri 13-Jun-14 01:14:13

50's? before my time grin. Oh well, I don't think I'd ever make an air hostess - I'd have been too 'curvy' and short - that's apart from the fact I'm terrified of being any more than 3ft off the ground.
I don't fly, but wonder if all BA hostesses are the 'perfect people' BA demand they should be. I'd rather have someone attending to me on a flight (which would mostly involve shovelling me up from the aisle after I've fainted with fear) who was genuinely caring, even if they had a little hidden tattoo up their sleeve, than a hostess who didn't have a tattoo (because they were told they mustn't) but treated me like a nuisance

Ana Thu 12-Jun-14 23:29:34

Well, I believe that in the olden days (50s, say, grin) potential air hostesses had to meet specific height and vital statistics measurements criteria, so some things have changed for the better!

boheminan Thu 12-Jun-14 23:22:31

True Anasad. I bet it wasn't mentioned in the job spec - probably no mention of hair colour either (aren't all BA staff blondegrin (only joking!). So, what will be barred by BA next? regional accents? hair with split ends? vegetarians? The list could go on...

Tegan Thu 12-Jun-14 23:13:47

One of the loves of my life was Desert Orchid [along with Syd Barrett]. I haven't got any tattoos but if I did I would like a tattoo saying Syd and Dessie. I don't quite understand why I'd like them; just feel as if it would be my own way of making my feelings for them more tangible [not sure if that's the right word, even]. I don't think I'll ever get it done, though. I'd like to think that I don't judge anyone on their appearance [which is a good job with Download Festival being on just up the road]. Just as I hope people don't look at me and immediately think 'little old lady'.

janerowena Thu 12-Jun-14 23:12:08

What they need is some of this stuff. It's incredible, my daughter just posted it on facebook.

thefw.com/would-you-believe-this-is-the-worlds-most-tattooed-man/?trackback=fbshare_mobile

Penstemmon Thu 12-Jun-14 23:10:10

BA should have made it clear in the advert/person spec before it got to the interview stage. That would have been fair and transparent for potential applicants.

Ana Thu 12-Jun-14 23:07:01

But then she'd have been sacked if and when the tattoos were revealed (or someone 'told on her' hmm). If it's a condition of the job, it's best to be honest from the start IMO.

boheminan Thu 12-Jun-14 23:01:56

This has (I believe) turned into a thought provoking thread, illuminating how we are judged more by our appearance than our actions. I wonder if the young lass that went for the BA job would have got it if she had kept quiet about the tattooshmm. She may not be quite so honest next time, a harsh lesson to learn

Penstemmon Thu 12-Jun-14 22:55:44

I have not had a tattoo but only because I am a bit scared! That's the reason I only have one set of piercing in my ears. I would have liked a nose stud but I was /am too scared!
My SiL had his nipple pierced as a student (ouch!) and he is a lovely, responsible person.

No automatic link between being a poor citizen and tattoos/piercings!

The only person I know with a tattoo that I have worried about was a parent of a little girl at the school where I worked. He had a large colourful tattoo on his neck/throat which said CRAZY. He was a very odd guy and I worried when he chose to 'home educate' his little girl. On the other hand the school keeper at the same school had his torso and arms covered in tats. He was a very sweet and gentle guy!

NannaAnna Thu 12-Jun-14 22:23:00

But in all seriousness - think about the language you use - (slag tag/tramp stamp ) if, as women, we cast aspersions on other women's sexual behaviour because of a tattoo - what hope have we ever got of challenging the casual and disgusting everyday sexism that we see all around us.

Well said SunRa!

SunRa Thu 12-Jun-14 21:26:56

I have 3 tattoos and my 4th will be in honour of my first grandchild born last July. As a director of a start up in the renewable energy sector I'm more likely to be biased against straight dressers in suits than someone with edge and personality. I choose to view my ink as works of art - which they are - that I wear on my skin and which compliment the works of art that I have in my house. Oh I also have 3 earrings per ear and dress in classic 50s rockabilly style - and get regularly stopped by strangers and told how stylish and glamorous I look (and I'm no oil painting for sure)

With a background of over 25 years in the charity sector before escaping I'm constantly staggered by people who proclaim themselves to be against all forms of prejudice and then actively exhibit prejudice against people who look different. I used to go to seriously high powered meetings (government level) - often the token female - and gradually roll up my sleeve - the look on the (usually) men's faces was the equivalent that I'd have if I saw a tarantula

But in all seriousness - think about the language you use - (slag tag/tramp stamp ) if, as women, we cast aspersions on other women's sexual behaviour because of a tattoo - what hope have we ever got of challenging the casual and disgusting everyday sexism that we see all around us.

Eloethan Thu 12-Jun-14 20:43:10

Margaret You didn't just say you don't like tatooes - which would be fair enough - I said it myself. What you said is:

"It is a mark of respect to appear in such a way as not to upset others who have to look at you...

"Others feel they have to be different but lacking anything else they .... find some other way of drawing attention to themselves

" .... Being tattooed says something about that person .... I have always always thought it common."

In my opinion, it is both irrational and extremely bad form to look down on other people simply because they have different taste from your own.

snowberryZ Thu 12-Jun-14 20:42:31

A very small tattoo, such as a butterfly in that hollow at the bottom of the back, looks okay.
I'm not struck on big tatoos on women, especially on a bride.
There's nothing more horrendous and unfeminine looking than seeing a bride in a white wedding dress and her arms or shoulders have big tatoos on them.
I think it spoils the whole bridal look.

Aka Thu 12-Jun-14 20:41:42

You are allowed to say you do not like tattoos or coloured hair Margaret but it a not acceptable for you to make judgements about people who have one or the other.

You are being judgemental.

Ana Thu 12-Jun-14 20:21:34

I dislike tattoos and hair in primary colours and have always thought it common.

I think that phrase from your original post triggered the 'intolerant' accusation, MargaretX. I do hope the women at the Refuge didn't pick up on your distaste of their tattoos...

MargaretX Thu 12-Jun-14 20:00:46

Why should I be classed as intolerant? Am I not allowed to say what I like and what I don't like?

The thread was whether BA was right in not wanting to employ people with tattooes. Of course they can be intelligent caring people and I woulld not treat them any different in a situation where I had to deal with them. I worked in a Women's refuge and you saw plenty of tattooed women there. I was as caring as was expected in this situation.

Live and let live has nothing to do with it. Nothing has been forbidden. We are talking about liking tattooes and BA don't like them and i don't either.

papaoscar Thu 12-Jun-14 19:44:14

In a previous life I was a mod with a Lambretta scooter covered in chrome lights, and a I had a nice shiny mohair suit. I also sported fluorescent socks that turned my feet yellow. My mate was a rocker with leathers and an old BSA. My other friend was a teddy boy with an enormous DA and big BC's. We'd all been mates at school but we daren't go out in our respective tribal kit - we had to hide behind jeans, sweaters and Buddy Holly glasses for that. Those were the days! The point is we didn't cover our body in metal or ink, and I still don't understand why people do it these days. But, if they choose to, good luck to them, I just don't get it.

NannaAnna Thu 12-Jun-14 19:17:08

I'm with you boheminan (and others here in the minority wink )
I had my first tattoo in January, to celebrate retiring. It's not terribly small, and it is visible. I don't see the point of having ones in places I can't see easily smile
I'm also growing my hair for the first time in years, and planned to have purple, pink and turquoise chunks in it, but then I went and got another part-time job, so I've postponed that!
Although it's company policy to keep tattoos covered, my manager's response to that was "Why??" … so I don't.
Many of our clients - young and old - have visible tattoos, and no one gives a damn. Maybe that's because I work in Brighton, where anything goes. People down here don't bat an eyelid at individuality, which is why I love the place!
Who amongst the tattooed Gransnetters wants to cock a snook at the intolerant, and post pics of their tattoo? I'm going to head over to the photo-adding section and put mine up. Do join me grin

rosesarered Thu 12-Jun-14 19:16:20

Takes all sorts though, doesn't it?

rosesarered Thu 12-Jun-14 19:14:21

My thoughts exactly bo everything comes round again and then you will all be fighting to get hold of a bit of beige crimplene!Not to mention my special beige Nora Batty tights.
You had better not stand [happily or otherwise] in the bus queue next to MargaretX though.neither had my red haired daughter.