Gransnet forums

AIBU

To tattoo or not to tattoo !

(78 Posts)
NanKate Tue 10-Jun-14 20:06:43

Just read in the paper of a young girl who had applied to British Airways for a job and at the interview she admitted she had four tattoos 'they are discreet and girlie'. Her interview was terminated at that point.

I wonder what Gransnetters think.

To get the ball rolling I think BA were right - tattoos in my opinion are cheap and tacky. I am waiting to be bombarded by tattoo lovers ! wink

granjura Tue 10-Jun-14 20:48:24

Could they be seen when wearing uniform or not? If they could be seen, I think BA were well within their right to stop the interview-as they have an 'image' to protect. If it can't, then it is daft.

grannyactivist Tue 10-Jun-14 21:09:35

BA regards it's staff as being 'Brand Ambassadors' at all times when on duty; this includes stopovers in other countries where tattoos are not so easily accommodated as they are in the UK. In Japan for instance people believe that tattoos have a direct association with a criminal lifestyle
If applicants have visible tattoos they will not be hired by BA.

NanKate Tue 10-Jun-14 21:17:50

Granj one was on the top of her foot and could be seen.

goldengirl Tue 10-Jun-14 22:27:21

A small tattoo I don't think is bad but these large 'paintings' I think are awful. What will they look like in years to come on wrinkly skin? That said I wouldn't mind a little discreet one on a shoulder perhaps but I'm scared of the pain and the fact it might go septic or something horrid. My GD gave me a sticker tattoo and that was quite nice smile

henetha Wed 11-Jun-14 12:29:59

Totally agree with above goldengirl comments. Little ones are o.k.
I too am a bit scared but would quite like one. And my GD gives me sticker ones now and then..

Charleygirl Wed 11-Jun-14 12:46:24

I totally agree with NanKate and think that they are cheap and tacky. My father used to say that seeing anybody sporting a tatoo on eg arms was "common".

Many years ago my sister in law who was in her teens then had a small butterfly on the top of her thigh. There was uproar in her family but it could not be seen unless she was on the beach or swimming.

Riverwalk Wed 11-Jun-14 12:46:45

BA are being a bit precious ...... good job Samantha Cameron doesn't want to be an air hostess! grin

Aka Wed 11-Jun-14 13:23:04

Little ones don't hurt.

NanKate Wed 11-Jun-14 15:00:08

Thanks [Charleygirl]

I wasn't allowed to chew bubble gum and blow it up in my face, as that was deemed common by my parents.

suebailey1 Wed 11-Jun-14 16:18:15

Tattoos are not called 'tramp stamps' for nothing - that should start a storm of protest.

TriciaF Wed 11-Jun-14 16:45:12

Aka - "little ones don't hurt" I can accept that.
But to have these overall tattoos, I think it's part of the current obsession with body image. The body we've got isn't good enough for some people.
When you're young you don't think ahead to what that tattoo is going to look like when you're old and wrinkled .
I'm quite upset with a beautiful young woman who has a brilliant sewing blog, (Gertie) she's really gifted in what she does, but she gets all these tattoos and dyes her lovely black hair pink! Why?

annodomini Wed 11-Jun-14 16:52:14

The only tattoo I'd consider is DNR tattooed on my chest!

harrigran Wed 11-Jun-14 17:04:14

I agree with you suebailey1, I have called them tramp stamps before and I am still standing grin
NanKate, I think BA were quite right to reject the applicant at interview, that is not the image BA want to portray.

HollyDaze Wed 11-Jun-14 17:43:16

Wasn't it men who started the whole 'tramp stamp' labelling over the tattooes that women have on the small of their backs? Not quite the effect they wanted I would imagine.

I really dislike tattooes, whatever shape or size. As others have said, I was raised to see them as being very 'common' and I still do.

ninathenana Wed 11-Jun-14 18:59:37

Small ones that can only be seen on the beach or in the bedroom for the ladies and some tats are ok on men. As for 'sleeves' and multiples YUCK!

Kiora Wed 11-Jun-14 19:24:19

My mother used to say.. Only sailors and tarts had tattoo's ( she felt the same about peicered ears) I think that's a bit over the top but her attitude obviously rubbed off. Neither myself, my siblings or my children has a tattoo. I think it can be taken too far. I really noticed it on my children's wedding photographs. All their bridesmaids were dressed in beautiful dresses, their make up and hair was perfect all spoilt by tattoo's on necks, chests arms yuk

rosesarered Wed 11-Jun-14 20:06:22

I think BA were right, they have a certain image for their staff, it's their firm and they can do what they choose.I think tattoos are a bizarre thing for anyone to want.Some older people [both men and women] are now having them done, it's just weird. Anyone old or young has to think of their employment before having one done as well.I don't know anybody who has a tatoo, so I can't say why people have them.

goldengirl Wed 11-Jun-14 20:59:00

We had a young lady at work once who had a lacey tattoo on her lower back so if she bent over and her t shirt rode up which it often did you could see this white tattoo just above her jeans. It was certainly unusual. I think I'll stick to stickers though!

Deedaa Wed 11-Jun-14 21:27:02

Sailors originally had tattoos so that their bodies could be identified if they drowned. (Might be useful for a flight attendant if the plane crashed) I've always heard them referred to as slag tags - perhaps it's the circles I move in?
I noticed a typical pair today, two women in baggy t shirts and even baggier tracksuit bottoms, lank, greasy hair and arms and shoulders smothered in tattoos. It just made them look rather unwashed.

My daughter has a sweet little green dragon tattoo in a place where it is rarely seen, but she likes knowing it's there.

feetlebaum Wed 11-Jun-14 22:06:56

Tattoos? No... just - no...

Charleygirl Wed 11-Jun-14 22:13:19

Well NanKate, not quite the reaction that you were expecting!

Eloethan Thu 12-Jun-14 01:00:59

Personally, I don't like tattoos, particularly when they get older and look "smudgy". However, I don't think that it's really a rational way of judging someone's character or ability, though I wonder if people who go "over the top" with tattoos, piercings, etc., have an unhealthy need to be noticed or to be provocative.

My mum was always very disapproving of tattoos, and pierced ears (etc., etc.) Times have changed and lots of people have tattoos and pierced ears now. I think it's a bit stuffy to prevent someone from getting a job for this reason.

tiggypiro Thu 12-Jun-14 08:25:30

Tattoos are at the moment a fashion fad for many people IMO. Why would you want to wear a permanent fashion symbol ? I don't see people wearing other fashions (hair, clothes etc) permanently and thank goodness for that otherwise we might all be still walking around in shell suits !
And the thought of them when the skin gets wrinkly ...................! YUK !

tiggypiro Thu 12-Jun-14 08:26:56

And why are they sometimes in places where the wearer can't see them without being a contortionist in front of a mirror?