Gransnet forums

AIBU

To be cross that I didn't get a free Sun today?

(98 Posts)
GrannyTwice Thu 12-Jun-14 16:51:39

Oh dear - time to thrive again on being outraged at not having the chance to send it back.....

annodomini Fri 13-Jun-14 14:16:48

It must have been a very patchy delivery, judging by the number of grans who never received it. Shame! I was looking forward to sending it back, though perhaps not quite where it belongs! hmm

Riverwalk Fri 13-Jun-14 14:29:18

Mine came today - will just post it back into the post box ..... returning the favour to the Post Office.

GillT57 Fri 13-Jun-14 15:09:06

Mine has been posted back.

janreb Fri 13-Jun-14 17:47:13

Ours came today so it will be on it's way back on Monday.

GrannyTwice Fri 13-Jun-14 17:57:29

Mine has now arrived. So that's what no page 3 looks like? Well at least it's good to get ones prejudices well thought out position reinforced at no cost! Will see how many recycled envelopes I have available and will then distribute the rag amongst them.

Deedaa Fri 13-Jun-14 22:00:18

Oh GrannyTwice I never thought of splitting it up! I thought I was making a point by rolling it up in an old loo roll tube, but sending them several would have been so much better grin

joannapiano Fri 13-Jun-14 22:07:17

Ours arrived this morning via Miserable Postie.
Only a few pages. I needed something to line our rabbit's hutch, so Rosie now has her fat little bottom on it.
Should have sent it back but at least it has some uses.

JessM Fri 13-Jun-14 22:24:08

Did not have one here either, but then not living in England so we are watching the World Cup with a degree of detachment. But I understand it was a page 3 model free zone and there has been a twitter campaign to ask them to #keepitup and not go back to their puerile ways

JessM Fri 13-Jun-14 22:25:33

Or even not watching the World Cup with total detachment. Wales playing in S Africa tomorrow.

GrannyTwice Fri 13-Jun-14 23:07:31

JessM - there was a page 3 - she had (some) clothes on and there was a sleazy, disgusting commentary about her body- words like pneumatic referring to her breasts etc. Why on earth should we have to have muck like that put through our letterbox - I've had much junk mail overt he years and NOTHING has come close to that. All the sponsors of this edition and those who wrote for it - James Corden how could you- are off my Christmas card list and I am confirmed in my beliefs about Murdoch. As for the 3 party leaders being photographed with it- EM - you actually PAY people to advise you?

durhamjen Sat 14-Jun-14 00:16:57

They all pay people to advise them, GrannyTwice, not just EM.

JessM Sat 14-Jun-14 06:53:24

Send them back! Addressed to The Sun with no stamps so they will be charged for postage at the other end.

GrannyTwice Sat 14-Jun-14 07:21:07

Yes I know durham but I can't believe EM was given the advice to do it - can well believe the other two were. What on earth is going on? How could anyone think it was a good idea for him? Do you remember when he spoke out so well against Murdoch? I just despair

mollie65 Sat 14-Jun-14 07:24:55

a tad 'overreaction' springs to mind
I recycled my copy - did not find it sullied my post box or house at all.
it was not and never was an unsolicited 'newspaper'
with the tragedies and mayhem in the world - Irag, Sudan and the rest I find it hard to be concerned about the free delivery of a 'load of rubbish' mainly aimed at the world cup footie fans (male)

NfkDumpling Sat 14-Jun-14 08:00:14

We got ours yesterday. What a waste of print and paper. Recycled.

tiggypiro Sat 14-Jun-14 08:09:15

I wonder if I can sue them for hurt feelings ? I didn't get one and now feel VERY left out. I shall have to take to my bed for the rest of the day and then the house will not be ready for the Chinese party coming on Monday and that is going to add to my depression.
Anyone know a good lawyer ?

GrannyTwice Sat 14-Jun-14 09:58:33

Mollie- I find it so odd that people can't accept that you can care about a range of things ALL AT THE SAME time. The really frustrating thing is that there is so little we can do about them. This morning for example I have already had a discussion with DH about this awful ' courier ' fraud which is going on and is targeting better off vulnerable older women apparently. Care about it but can't do anything. We then had a despairing discussion about Iraq and the real threats this poses. Again, what can we do? It's awful to feel so helpless. I'm now going to send round a note to all the people in my road about the new residents parking scheme that is coming in. The council are providing very poor information and relying on people having access to the internet and a printer so we're helping out people without those facilities. In the great scheme of things, a small matter, but something helpful I can do. And finally I'm stuffing my copy of the Sun into several unstamped envelopes and will enjoy posting them. It won't change anything but what's wrong with feeling better about a gesture. I used to feel that way about not buying S.African goods. It's not 10 o'clock yet. I will also fit in a visit to some very elderly neighbours who we all keep an eye on in the Road. Oh and last night we had a relatively recently widowed neighbour round for a BBQ and later this morning I'm checking his tax affairs are in order.
So enough of the belittling comments about my concern about the Sun. I'm fully engaged with and concerned about a whole range of issues and tragedies and mayhem and hate that I can't do more. I do what I can and in the midst of all this I am still angry about the Sun ( which I agree could never be described as a newspaper - free or not) and EM posing with it.
And before I get any 'oooo get you' comments, I'm fully aware that there are many people on GN who will be doing plenty today ( and everyday) to help others practically and be upset about Iraq and the Sun because we don't have to make choices to just care about one thing at once

Elegran Sat 14-Jun-14 10:49:29

Without the sun's Freepost registration number they can refuse to accept it and it will be returned to sender, if they have added a return address.

I can't find any list of Freepost numbers to see what number the Sun has, so if anyone has ever used it, perhaps they could post it on her for people to use?

Elegran Sat 14-Jun-14 10:53:25

But here is the Twitter account of David Dinsmore, the editor - https://twitter.com/davedins

and his Linkedin page - uk.linkedin.com/pub/david-dinsmore/a/66b/425

and the Facebook page for the Sun https://facebook.com/timeline

Their ordinary address is "The Sun, 3 Thomas More Square, London, E98 1XY "
Or
"Customer Services, News Corp UK and Ireland Limited, 3 Thomas More Square, London E98 1RL"

rosesarered Sat 14-Jun-14 17:09:24

mollie65 I agree with your post.

GrannyTwice Sat 14-Jun-14 17:11:49

How enlightening Rose - you mean you agree with only being able to be concerned with one issue at once? confused

Ana Sat 14-Jun-14 17:16:13

That was only your interpretation of Mollie65's post, GrannyTwice.

rosesarered Sat 14-Jun-14 17:23:34

Gosh grannytwice you do sound to be very angry with everything.You say you are ' engaged with, and concerned about a whole range of issues,and tragedies and mayhem and hate'. It sounds like you have the whole world on your shoulders and it's getting you down.

GrannyTwice Sat 14-Jun-14 18:16:25

Oh dear Rose - you can't even read a post properly - I said I hate that I can't do more not that I hate. It's not worth discussing it further with you if all you do us make sweeping unsubstantiated generalisations.

GrannyTwice Sat 14-Jun-14 18:18:05

Ana - and your point is? Of course it was my interpretation, I wrote the post . If Mollie has more to say, I'm sure she's well able to cone back and do so