Gransnet forums

AIBU

To be cross that I didn't get a free Sun today?

(98 Posts)
GrannyTwice Thu 12-Jun-14 16:51:39

Oh dear - time to thrive again on being outraged at not having the chance to send it back.....

mcem Sat 14-Jun-14 18:24:09

Can't help feeling that recently there's been an increased number of comments that I regard as small-minded, banal and trivial. Encroaching of the 'whatever' culture?

rosesarered Sat 14-Jun-14 20:43:27

I stand by what I said grannyTwice. Actually I was feeling a bit sorry for you, you seemed so very angry about everything, but now I think you just enjoy ranting, you seem very keen on dishing it out to others. I do not like the Sun newspaper , but lots of people do, and this free 'pull out' [not a whole newspaper anyway] can just be put in the bin if we don't want it.The whole world doesn't agree with you, a lot of people hate the Sun and a lot of people like it. As I have said, I don't like it and don't buy it, but we all have different views on things.

GrannyTwice Sat 14-Jun-14 20:48:52

Rose - you know what you can do with your sympathy don't you ? How incredibly patronising! confused

Ana Sat 14-Jun-14 20:51:57

How incredibly rude, *GrannyTwice! hmm

rosesarered Sat 14-Jun-14 20:57:00

Some people just are like that Ana. It doesn't bother me.Being so angry wastes your life though.

Ana Sat 14-Jun-14 21:12:20

I'd have thought so, although it does seem to be some people's raison d'etre.

Ana Sat 14-Jun-14 21:13:56

(Can't do accents on my keyboard, before someone complains! grin)

mcem Sat 14-Jun-14 21:50:38

Someone feels strongly about an issue and pursues her point. She then has to put up with patronising and sarcastic comments from narrow-minded posters who are happy to hand out insults but get on their high horses as soon as there's a sharp ( but justified retort).

HollyDaze Sat 14-Jun-14 22:04:07

To be fair, the section is entitled 'Am I being unreasonable?' and then the thread is headed 'To be cross that I didn't get a free Sun today?' - I don't understand why people think there would be only one type of response (as in 'no, you're not being unreasonable') and that others shouldn't give an opposing view when you have two questions on the go here.

Personally, I cannot fathom why anyone would raise their blood pressure over a newspaper (yes, even The Sun). If you're not happy, write to the paper and tell them - even tell them where you've put the newspaper (not that they will care very much). Ranting about it on here and getting into arguments with fellow GNs isn't going to change anything one iota (other than to raise blood pressure even further).

Ana Sat 14-Jun-14 22:13:03

I'm not sure to whom you're referring, mcem (although I can guess), but the only sarcastic comments on this thread were made by GrannyTwice.

mcem Sat 14-Jun-14 22:18:27

One (wo)man's rant is another (wo)man's discussion. Long live those who still feel passionate about an issue and are willing to defend their arguments with passion instead of sarcastic and patronising remarks!
If all you're looking for is cosy chats where everyone agrees I'm sure you'll find that but on a thread which is clearly dealing with a controversial subject then you'll find controversy!
Don't you find it frustrating that GNs often discuss topics over which we have no control?
Does that render all discussions useless if we can't ultimately 'change one iota'?

Ana Sat 14-Jun-14 22:51:02

Who exactly are you talking to, mcem? confused

durhamjen Sat 14-Jun-14 23:04:08

See what you mean, GrannyTwice, about EM. You'd think he could work it out himself that it was not a good thing to do. At least he has apologised, although that could be seen as wrong too.

GrannyTwice Sat 14-Jun-14 23:13:43

Sarcasm is very very naughty but being patronising is ok? What exactly is ranting? Is feeling strongly not allowed? If some of you weren't so po-faced you would have noticed that this thread started as a tongue in cheek riposte to my first thread about the Sun ( thatbags got the joke on the first page). Clearly I did express views I believe in thereafter but to talk about ranting, raised blood pressure, getting into arguments ( that one sided activity!), being angry, being sorry for me is just ridiculous , petty minded and just beggars belief about you on earth you think GN and AIBU threads are all about. It's perfectly possible for anyone with a grain of intellect to disagree with a poster without resorting to the sort of comments made to and about me this evening. Thanks mcem for the points you raised

rosesarered Sun 15-Jun-14 10:51:24

I rest my case! Such anger.hmm

whenim64 Sun 15-Jun-14 11:10:46

I do think we have to take a stand about this rubbish bring posted through our doors. We get junk mail we don't want, political leaflets we don't want, Avon and Bettabuy catalogues we're instructed not to throw away but put back on the doorstep on Wednesday (oh yeah?), and now an attempt to influence us with this uninvited publication being foisted on us. There will be interested parties watching to see how this goes down, thinking that they also might use this tactic. Even if you like the sun, you don't have to accept this flood of postings - before we know it, they'll all be jumping on the bandwagon.

durhamjen Sun 15-Jun-14 11:31:22

If I get any political stuff through the door that I do not want, I always send it back without a stamp. I've done it for years. Not just political stuff either. So sending the sun back was nothing new.

HollyDaze Sun 15-Jun-14 14:04:39

mcem

One (wo)man's rant is another (wo)man's discussion

Doesn't it cease to be a discussion once the anger can be felt in the posts that people make?

sarcastic and patronising remarks!

I can't recall any so I am unable to respond to that.

on a thread which is clearly dealing with a controversial subject then you'll find controversy!

There's nothing wrong with a bit of controversy, it livens things up - what puzzles me is why people can get as angry as they have over a newspaper that can be easily disposed of.

If all you're looking for is cosy chats where everyone agrees

Is that a touch of sarcasm and a bit patronising wink

Don't you find it frustrating that GNs often discuss topics over which we have no control? Does that render all discussions useless if we can't ultimately 'change one iota'?

No, I don't find it frustrating because I don't expect to be able to change most things - that's what politicians are for (now I will happily go and rant at them to get things done); it's a case of choose your battles wisely. Does all discussion have to end in actual action or can it be used to merely test your own theories? Gain the insight of others? I tend to use forums for those reasons but if I felt seriously aggrieved, I would be unlikely to post on a forum and more likely to and see what, if anything, I could do. I do know I wouldn't send my blood pressure soaring over a newspaper (as some clearly did - others were just irritated by it) and I'm at a loss as to why anyone would.

petallus Sun 15-Jun-14 15:47:31

That is a good post 'Hollydaze'.

Well you know, I think refusing to put a capital s for the Sun, sending the newspaper back (preferably with it having been peed or pooped on first) talking about feeling defiled because it comes through the letter box, is perhaps not the best example of grown-up behaviour.

There are so many other things more worthy of all that energy surely.

And I still think there is an element of snobbishness about it on this and other similar threads. Certainly intellectual snobbery. Come on, be honest, what sort of people do you think are likely to read the Sun?

You probably have an image of someone who is not very well educated, whose grammar is deplorable and who wears a lot of cheap gold jewellery and owns a staffie.

Just the opposite to us GNetters!

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 15-Jun-14 15:56:51

Ooh, this is an exciting thread that I've been missing!

I quite like the Sun. You can get all the bare bones of the news really quickly.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 15-Jun-14 15:58:08

I did n't get a free one though.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 15-Jun-14 16:00:54

Oh, do tell us what rose can do with her sympathy grannytwice! grin

petallus Sun 15-Jun-14 16:06:58

jingle grin

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 15-Jun-14 16:07:02

Am I still likely to get one? Have they all been sent out now? confused

If there's anything going free, I want it!

HollyDaze Sun 15-Jun-14 21:16:24

jinglbellsfrocks

grin