Gransnet forums

AIBU

Little Minx

(215 Posts)
Thistledoo Tue 17-Jun-14 14:03:35

I was wondering if any other GNs have had a similar experience to the one I had on Sunday. My DS came to visit with grandchildren, little girl aged 23 months and boy aged four. As it was such a beautiful day we were all out in the garden, myself and DH chasing children around the lawn and generally having fun. DS was sitting watching, and playing on his mobile phone as usual. I was pretending to race DGD up the lawn say to her, I am gong to catch you...... I then caught her picked her up and swung her round saying as I did so, gottya you little minx. With that my DS rounded on me with some anger saying he didn't like me using that word. I questioned him as to why , and what did he think I meant. I was told this was very disrespectful and derogatory to his daughter. I was gobsmacked and upset to say the least, I was only playing and having fun with the toddler. I was so upset in fact that I left the garden and went into the kitchen to prepare the evening meal. They then left without saying goodbye. I can remember reading a comic strip way back in my youth with a character by that name. But DH looked up the true definition in the oxford dictionary and it really is a derogatory term so why is it used so widely. I was really upset and didn't sleep on Sunday night. I would really appreciate some comments about this difficult subject.

Nelliemoser Tue 17-Jun-14 16:58:53

Thisledoo There does appear to have been a big shift in the way that word is now used, as happens with language but your son should have explained this or discussed it with you. I would have just as easily used that term without knowing how the common usage has changed.

I used some term or other some time ago I cant remember what it was now but DD put me right by explaining it, she did not fly off the handle. That was out of order of your son.

I would e mail him, say how upset you where about his reaction, apologise and explain that in "our day" Minnie the minx was a just a cartoon character and point him to the history of the character.

If you email him he can then think about it at his leisure and not start trying to justify himself to you on the phone.

HildaW Tue 17-Jun-14 17:10:00

Ana, I too used that word in the very same context to my then 16 year old....boy she was furious and I found myself apologising for using it!

Its awkward when words change their meanings within social groups and at some time we will all fall foul of it. I too think of a 'Minx' as being a feisty little madam who could win hearts anywhere. My DGD is nearly 3, a red head and definitely a bit of a pickle/minx.

However, all that is bye the bye, the real issue is more about someone not having the good manners to see something in context, almost to wilfully misunderstand something that was never intended. To create a scene like that, to continue with it when its obviously caused you great upset and confusion is a shame. I think I'd go down the 'least said soonest mended' route if possible. On the other hand, I too think I'd smile sweetly and say 'sorry' just to get the matter out of the way. We all know he's wrong, but for peace and quiet we've all learned to let the other person feel superior just to keep things on the straight and narrow.

shysal Tue 17-Jun-14 17:29:16

Maybe Simon Cowell should stop using the word then! He uses it in a teasing affectionate way when judging Britain's Got Talent, always raising a smile from the contestant to whom he says it.

DebnCreme Tue 17-Jun-14 17:33:22

I have always called my grandchildren 'little monkeys' far worse than 'little minxes' I would say. Your son obviously plays too many Scrabble games on his iPhone and thinks too deeply about the word meanings. It is such a shame that this happy time was spoilt for you flowers

Mishap Tue 17-Jun-14 17:49:20

Goodness - what a fusspot he was being!

sparkygran Tue 17-Jun-14 18:45:11

I agree with what everyone has said the word minx to me describes a little rascal and nothing more Thistledoo try not to let this get out of control ask your son to explain what was so wrong with an innocuous and playful word flowers flowers

granjura Tue 17-Jun-14 19:00:22

Just wondering if there was something else brewing underneath- and the outburst and departure was just an excuse?

Ana Tue 17-Jun-14 19:02:30

Oh dear - now you'll have Thistledoo wondering all sorts...!

rosequartz Tue 17-Jun-14 19:04:11

I would just think this is lost in translation!

I always thought little minx meant a mischievious little girl - in fact DD1 was always known affectionately by my SIL as 'Minnie the Minx' because she was always into mischief. I am flabbergasted by some of the meanings being thrown up nowadays. Likewise 'slut' which I always thought was defined as someone who didn't wash their front step every day! DD1 was horrified when I said I was being a bit of a slut, meaning not doing much housework.

DH can't stand children being called 'little monkeys' whereas it doesn't bother me (DIL uses it when DGDs are being mischievious).

Cheeky to me means a child being just a little bit rude (in a funny way), but in Australia it means they are behaving in a very naughty fashion.

So many words have been appropriated and have lost their original meanings and given new or extra ones.

Personally I think it is rude to sit and play on the mobile phone whilst you are running around playing with the children and getting a meal for everyone. I think your DS could have just said 'MUM! do you know what that means?' and explained his interpretation of it, not just leaving.

Thistledoo, I should not take sides, but I do think your DS was out of order; I would have been very upset myself if that had happened to me.

Did you not buy him the Beano when he was growing up?

ps DGS is known as Dennis the Menace by his Mum (and us). Presumably that may change in meaning to something dreadful before too long. Menace sounds worse than Minx to me.

Ana Tue 17-Jun-14 19:09:39

DH often calls our two GDs 'cheeky little monkeys' - it's his default term of endearment. He'd be horrified to think that term could be taken the wrong way if he said it to black children. It's sad that so many rather old-fashioned sayings are now non-PC.

GillT57 Tue 17-Jun-14 19:34:06

My grandmother who never ever offended anyone and was a very kind and generous soul called a neighbour a 'silly old sod' she thought it meant sod as in clod of earth, not as in sodomite blush

Ana Tue 17-Jun-14 19:42:48

I thought it meant a clod of earth, too! shock blush

GrannyTwice Tue 17-Jun-14 20:16:00

To say little monkeys to black or mixed race children is simply not acceptable today and we have to move on and accept that, not bemoan the fact that the world and the use of language moves on. It's not 'sad' it's progress. You have only to see racist football fans throwing bananas onto football pitches at black players or making monkey noises when a black player has the ball or comes onto the pitch to realise why.

GrannyTwice Tue 17-Jun-14 20:18:58

Also back to OP if you look at the etymology of the word minx you'll see that its negative connotations existed in the 16th century, lessened over time and now appears to have resurfaced. That's what happens with language and we should move with it.

rosequartz Tue 17-Jun-14 20:25:13

GrannyTwice shock

Can't keep up with it and I'm not 70 yet!

Perhaps we should have a dictionary published on GN of what was acceptable and is not any more?

rosequartz Tue 17-Jun-14 20:27:45

Minnie the Minx is 61 now so is she a bit old to be mischievious?

Eloethan Tue 17-Jun-14 20:28:37

Seems a bit of an over-reaction to me but perhaps you could explain to your son that, whatever the accepted meaning of the word is now, in the past it was often used to mean "cheeky" - and that, of course, you would never intentionally use an insulting term to or about a child.

As for the word "monkey", I have called my own children (who are mixed race) and grandchildren "little monkeys", meaning playful and mischievous, but I can see that it is a word that could be misinterpreted and so better not used.

Ana Tue 17-Jun-14 20:33:11

Thank you, GrannyTwice, but I do know why it would be unacceptable to call black children 'little monkeys', I didn't need it spelled out for me, nor was I 'bemoaning' anything! hmm

The fact that ignorant football 'fans' do and say such things hardly points to 'progress'. Rather the opposite, in fact.

Crafting Tue 17-Jun-14 20:33:53

I'm with everyone else. You should explain to your son that words had different meanings years ago and the term was only meant in an affectionate way. I frequently refer to my grandchildren as lovely little sausages. Doesn't mean that I think they are made of offal and stuffed into pigs skins. We love our grandchildren and would never mean them any harm and he should realise this.

rosequartz Tue 17-Jun-14 20:34:50

Granny, the shock was at the ignorant football fans, not your post.

GrannyTwice Tue 17-Jun-14 20:35:32

Eleothan- that's the point isn't it - not what we mean by it but how it is interpreted today. There are so many neutral words send terms of endearment we can use - I often make words up in fact- that we don't need to court problems. As for keeping up to date, I think reading a quality newspaper, listening to various radio 4 programmes, engaging with debates around equality and diversity, the world of work ( either paid or voluntary), listening to our children and discussing with them all help with this

rosesarered Tue 17-Jun-14 20:36:38

GillT57 and Ana grin
Thistledoo Don't apologise again, just let it go.Sometimes it's like walking on eggshells with some sons and daughters. flowers

rosequartz Tue 17-Jun-14 20:36:53

Crafting grin

I suppose we would have to be careful not to call certain children 'lovely little sausages'. [sigh] it all gets so difficult.

Ana Tue 17-Jun-14 20:37:56

What's a 'quality newspaper' in your opinion, GrannyTwice? grin

rosequartz Tue 17-Jun-14 20:43:33

Not the crap one I read which DD2 calls the Daily Moan. She keeps nagging persuading me to read the worthy leftie one which I do sometimes online.

Sorry, but why do we have to keep up? Why can the younger generation not be expected to make allowances for our quirks? Are we right or are they; things do evolve but do we have to lose the past? Give and take I think.