Gransnet forums

AIBU

Little Minx

(215 Posts)
Thistledoo Tue 17-Jun-14 14:03:35

I was wondering if any other GNs have had a similar experience to the one I had on Sunday. My DS came to visit with grandchildren, little girl aged 23 months and boy aged four. As it was such a beautiful day we were all out in the garden, myself and DH chasing children around the lawn and generally having fun. DS was sitting watching, and playing on his mobile phone as usual. I was pretending to race DGD up the lawn say to her, I am gong to catch you...... I then caught her picked her up and swung her round saying as I did so, gottya you little minx. With that my DS rounded on me with some anger saying he didn't like me using that word. I questioned him as to why , and what did he think I meant. I was told this was very disrespectful and derogatory to his daughter. I was gobsmacked and upset to say the least, I was only playing and having fun with the toddler. I was so upset in fact that I left the garden and went into the kitchen to prepare the evening meal. They then left without saying goodbye. I can remember reading a comic strip way back in my youth with a character by that name. But DH looked up the true definition in the oxford dictionary and it really is a derogatory term so why is it used so widely. I was really upset and didn't sleep on Sunday night. I would really appreciate some comments about this difficult subject.

annodomini Fri 20-Jun-14 12:07:20

Thistle, I suggest you give him a subscription to the Beano for his birthday or Christmas whichever is first! wink

shemag Fri 20-Jun-14 13:57:44

What a shame your son is so ill mannered. Minx is a harmless fun word. I suggest your son apologizes for his appalling behavior.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 20-Jun-14 14:19:45

Knock it off now! shock Ill mannered indeed! hmm

rosequartz Fri 20-Jun-14 14:53:43

www.beano.com/

Here we are, Thistledoo.

We had a free copy with a Sunday paper a few weeks ago when DGS was staying and it is apparently still available. Complete with Minnie The Minx - 'It's the girl who's tougher than all the boys ...'

I was relieved to note that Dennis the Menace is still in there, with his dark spiky hair, although DD1 tells me that there is an American film about Dennis the Menace and he is blond!!

This has all reminded me of the time I was choosing a birthday present for DGD last year; I chose a soft 'Snow White' doll and the lovely girl who served me in the Disney Store told me earnestly that 'Snow White is our oldest princess you know, she dates from 1937'. I did mention that I thought Snow White was in fact a lot older than that. She had obviously never heard of the Brothers Grimm, and the even older legends!

TriciaF Fri 20-Jun-14 15:05:53

I've had a re-think about this, and I think it's a generation thing.
Similar things have happened to me with our grandchildren, where I've been very lighthearted and jokey about something, then their parents have implied (politely) that this is taken seriously now.
Both our sons went through a sort of wild phase in their teens and early 20s, and perhaps they are stricter with their own children because they don't want them to get involved in the much more dangerous temptations around now.
The girls are similar, but not so outspoken about it.

rosequartz Fri 20-Jun-14 20:24:41

DD1 used a term on a social networking site today which I would never dream of using (about THOSE footballers). To her it meant they were useless, to me it meant something which would be politically incorrect these days.

Times change, but do we have to change our opinions/thoughts/speech as well?

rosequartz Fri 20-Jun-14 20:25:36

When I say politically incorrect these days, I meant 'in my day' of course!!

Can't keep up with it all.

Nonu Fri 20-Jun-14 20:40:27

Having read through these posts , it seems to me quite ridiculous, what on earth is wrong with this expression , It seems such a shame your DS behaved the way he did!!

bye the bye Frankie Howard made me cringe, still what ever floats your boat, takes all sorts !

papaoscar Fri 20-Jun-14 20:53:12

As a youngster, Nonu, I wasn't aware of the other side of Frankie Howard but I liked the way he could command an audience, in a similar way to Larry Grayson, Lilly Savage and Danny La Rue. They could all entertain without causing offence, at least not to me.

Nonu Fri 20-Jun-14 21:40:24

Well there you go PAPA each to his own, He made me "cringe" always seemed like a chap who was not keen on women !!!!

In a rather spiteful , be-littling way !!!

That is this woman"s point of view

Iam64 Sun 22-Jun-14 21:29:48

The news last week reported the case of a teacher aged 37 who had a sexual relationship with a 16 yr old pupil. The news report said he'd called her a minx in a text message, the inference was sexual. Fancy that, who knew, not this bunch of gransnetters anyway.

thatbags Mon 23-Jun-14 08:59:47

In that context, of course we knew what it meant. In the little girl's context it meant something different. It's the context that matters rather than the word. Context is what gives the connotations and therefore the meaning.

thatbags Mon 23-Jun-14 09:02:20

Which is me saying that I think the young man in the OP was being over-sensitive and really a bit silly. Maybe he uses the word in a sexual context and that's the root of the problem in that he isn't aware of innocent meanings of the same word.

rosesarered Mon 23-Jun-14 09:20:22

HollyDaze your reference to unles playing the piano brought back childhood memories for me [played lots of musical instruments as you say and all self taught] and us all singing Quartermasters Stores and laughing,
['cheese, cheese, walking on it's knees,' and something similar and just as daft.Also a song called Ivan Stravinsnky Skavoe [again not sure of name or spelling.]Happy days.

Elegran Mon 23-Jun-14 09:33:21

Rats, rats, big as bloomin' cats, in the store, in the store . . .

HollyDaze Mon 23-Jun-14 09:44:01

rosesarered and Elegran - nice to see that others remember those songs. The only bit I can remember is 'my eyes are dim I cannot see, I have not brought my specs with me, I have - not - brought - my - specs - with - me'. Yes, happy memories of happy days smile

papaoscar Mon 23-Jun-14 12:58:26

Rosesarered - you have reminded me that Ivan Stravinsky Skavar was a character in a long comic song called Addul the Bul-Bul Amir which we used to sing after rugby with great ribaldry and no political correctness at all. According to t'internet it was written in 1877 by Percy French and turned into a Disney cartoon in 1941. You can hear renditions of it on YouTube and it has brought back many, many happy memories of sharing a large steaming bath with the chaps after the match, together with lumps of mud, blood, grass, plasters, and liniment before, glowing and pink, repairing to the club-house for enormous pasties, many foaming tankards and a good old knees-up. Those were the days, indeed. Many thanks for bringing memories of them back!

papaoscar Mon 23-Jun-14 13:12:19

There were Grans, Grans, drinking out of cans
In the stores, in the stores
There were flies, flies, as big as custard pies
In the regimental stores

My eyes are dim, I cannot see
I have not brought my specs with me
I've flushed 'em down the lavertree
Flushed 'em down the lav-er-tree...

See what you've done now, HollyDaze, bringing back all these memories. Well done!

papaoscar Mon 23-Jun-14 13:20:24

Oh, Sir Jasper, do not touch me
Oh, Sir Jasper, do not touch me
Oh, sir Jasper, do not touch me
As they lay between the lily-white sheets
With nothing on at all

Oh, Sir Jasper, do not touch...

Oh, Sir Jasper, do not...

Oh, Sir Jasper, do...

Oh, Sir Jasper...

Oh, Sir...

Oh...

Reading this thread may not have been a good thing after all!

HollyDaze Tue 24-Jun-14 11:45:11

papaoscar grin

Anything that makes you smile at old memories with fondness, has to be a good thing smile

papaoscar Tue 24-Jun-14 12:24:45

Memory is a very strange thing indeed,HD, and makes me wonder what else is waiting to be triggered by GN. Hope its pleasant!

HollyDaze Tue 24-Jun-14 12:39:27

It is strange isn't it papaoscar - all it takes is a word, phrase, sound or image and kickstart a long-forgotten memory; one of the lovely things about forums and their varied members.

Lilygran Tue 24-Jun-14 13:07:38

There was jam, jam, mixed up with the ham in the quartermaster's stores. Can't remember any more. Perhaps as well.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 24-Jun-14 14:00:03

There were peas, peas, with very dirty knees in the quartermaster's store

My eyes are dim I cannot see
I have not got my specs with me (OR I left my specs in the WC/lavatory)
I haaaaave not got my specs with me

Still a favourite in our house!!

papaoscar Tue 24-Jun-14 15:16:54

Another odd thing about memory, HD, is that often the memory of a visual image is stronger than a written one - hence the common difficulty of associating names with faces. I understand that is because the visual memory apparatus is a much older and refined part of the the brain. However, in this thread just a few snatched words from old songs were enough to trigger a whole host of associated memories from various people. It's a very interesting subject, indeed.