Gransnet forums

AIBU

Tester Paint Pots

(33 Posts)
anneey Tue 01-Jul-14 14:23:23

I waste so much money, buying Tester Paint Pots.

I am planning on decorating my Sitting room (north facing) So would like

a light warm colour. I quite fancy an earthy coral, if you can imagine that.
Dulux Jungle Ginger, looked just about right. NO it is more like a pinky
lilac, (ghastly) The next one to try is Sumatran Melody.
I will keep you informed on the outcome.

LullyDully Wed 16-Dec-15 08:35:43

How do you access the profiles? (Just to change the subject a wee bit...Sorry.)

tiggypiro Wed 16-Dec-15 08:58:14

Great minds think alike Alea and jingl - I also thought it odd and have reported.
To access the profiles LullyDully just click on the name (but only the blue show a profile).

tiggypiro Wed 16-Dec-15 08:59:20

The names in blue rather than black I meant !

Pam13 Wed 16-Dec-15 09:58:27

I bought a cheap water-colour pad, paint a tester on a page and label it. Then I have a permanent record of a colour, can move it around the room to see the effect of different light on it and don't end up with squares of colour on the walls that then need to be covered up.

Elegran Wed 16-Dec-15 10:27:35

Hmmm jings You are right about the profile.

LullyDully Wed 16-Dec-15 11:42:55

Thanks Tiggy

Pamish Wed 16-Dec-15 13:07:02

Beware of looking online for colours eg Pinterest. Unless your screen has been set up with profiling equipment and is recalibrated every week, what you see is not what you will get. And the original image is probably not accurate, as digi cameras can make wild guesses at what they think they are being pointed at.

And light is not white. 'Neutral' is daylight around midday. All artificial light sources are way off daylight - tungsten is yellow/orange, fluorescents are greenish. The new bulbs are closer to daylight. So all colours will seem to change when you look at them in different situations. Shop lights are not daylight, you need to take stuff outside to check the colour (NB for clothes).

If you're taking pics to put on eg e*ay it is best to work in daylight - outside or close to a window with room lights off. I've bought white shirts that were green and vice versa, you have to allow for this or take a chance on liking what arrives.