Gransnet forums

AIBU

Tester Paint Pots

(32 Posts)
BeeWitch Tue 01-Jul-14 18:08:34

I like these tester pots - I use them to shabby chic mirror/picture frames.

rosesarered Tue 01-Jul-14 16:45:58

anneey we wanted the same effect and used Dulux Apricot Crush, it's lovely!

Anne58 Tue 01-Jul-14 16:11:07

I agree Hilda at one point I wanted to paint our south facing sitting room in a pale greeny grey. We were staying with friends and much admired the colour of the bedroom we were given. Asked the name etc, (Swansdown, Dulux I think) bought a matchpot and were amazed when it came out a bright icy blue!

If you can get hold of a proper trade colour chart, the ones with the numbers as well as the sometimes daft names, one of the numbers used gives you an indication of how much grey there is in the base colour. It is sometimes quite surprising how much grey there is in a pink shade, for example.

How big is the room anneey and what is in there that will have to stay, furniture, carpets etc?

HildaW Tue 01-Jul-14 15:44:21

anneey...do bear in mind that lighting can make a huge difference. I'd always go paler than you think.
In B&Q they do a mix it yourself range with a clever gizmo that lets you see the sample in three different lights.

kittylester Tue 01-Jul-14 15:15:07

We once tried 14 pots before we chose one! Luckily DD1 uses them in her school or to paint murals.

Tegan Tue 01-Jul-14 14:45:31

They look so different when you paint them onto the wall, don't they [and Dulux no longer seem to do the online room thingys that they used to do; that was a good way to see the overall colour]. Mind you, if you google Dulux and the colour you can quite often see lots of rooms painted in that colour with recommendations from people [I tried that when I painted my bedroom, realising that the colour I'd chosen was a much darker grey than it looked on the chart]. Also, when you've chosen the colour google again and you can find the best deal; Wilco's were doing Dulux two for one at that time.

anneey Tue 01-Jul-14 14:23:23

I waste so much money, buying Tester Paint Pots.

I am planning on decorating my Sitting room (north facing) So would like

a light warm colour. I quite fancy an earthy coral, if you can imagine that.
Dulux Jungle Ginger, looked just about right. NO it is more like a pinky
lilac, (ghastly) The next one to try is Sumatran Melody.
I will keep you informed on the outcome.