Gransnet forums


Nuisance neighbour

(22 Posts)
rubylady Sat 05-Jul-14 01:52:34

I have a neighbour that has used threatening behaviour and watches me and my son at every given opportunity. It feels intimidating and is making me worse in my health. Has anyone had this? What have you done to make it better or protect yourself? Has anyone put CCTV up to help with this problem? Thank you Grans and Grandads. X

KatyK Sat 05-Jul-14 09:09:04

We had a problem here a few years ago. Not threatening or watching but general nuisance. They were next door but one to me and next door to an elderly lady. She had lived in the house since the 1950s with no trouble and then someone sold the house next door and the buyers rented it out. These people had a dog which would do it's business in the garden and they wouldn't clean it up so the elderly lady next door was plagued with flies. The children would throw stones on her conservatory roof, the adults would have parties in the garden late into the night. They would be using foul language outside in the daytime when I had my granddaughter here. I contacted our local councillor who found out who the landlord was and sent him a warning letter. Next thing we knew they had gone. There are now new, very quiet, tenants in there. Unfortunately it is not so easy if the person owns their property. Good luck.

Mishap Sat 05-Jul-14 10:03:41

I am sorry to hear you have such a problem - there is nothing worse than nuisance neighbours. A friend of mine is going through this at the
moment and she looks so down. It is a fine line to read, as complaining can just make things worse. I do hope that you find some way through this.

FlicketyB Sat 05-Jul-14 10:20:57

rubylady, start with the Citizens's Advice Bureau (CAB), then speak to your Councillor and speak to the police.

harrigran Sat 05-Jul-14 12:21:47

I have CCTV on my house and it seems to help. There are a lot of flats that are rented out and we have had our share of bad boys living there. One night we had a police raid and they found a cannabis farm. Camera logs unusual activity in the area.

Soutra Sat 05-Jul-14 18:36:36

Rubylady I think you said on another thread that you rent Local Authority housing? Is this also the case with your neighburs? If so surely a call to the housing office would be somewhere to start. If the behaviour is physically threatening you have a right to go to the police, also if verbal. You say they "watch" you at every opportunity. In what way? A pervy peeping Tom way or just a net curtain twitching nosey neighbour way?

numberplease Sat 05-Jul-14 23:03:04

Around here it`s mostly older terraced houses, and every time one comes up for sale, it`s bought by someone intending to rent it out, usually to E.European immigrants, mostly 10 to 12 to a house. At the moment, opposite us at the back, across a narrow street, more of an alleyway really, there`s a couple, not sure if they are married or not, neither goes out to work, he spends most of every day getting drunk, which results in the most awful, noisy rows, sometimes out on the street, the police have been called out several times, they`ve called here and asked about them, said he`d been knocking her about. Surely the police inform landlords when they are habitually called out to an address, I can`t understand why these people are still living there, but wish wholeheartedly that they weren`t!

Aka Sat 05-Jul-14 23:20:59

Yes, if the nuisance neighbours are council tenants then contact the Local Authority Housing Officer. If they rent from a private landlord you can contact him or her.

numberplease Sun 06-Jul-14 17:50:00

Aka, problem is we don`t know who the landlord is. The police were there again today, although it`s been pretty quiet today, they were kicking off yesterday though.

Aka Sun 06-Jul-14 18:43:32

You can find out who owns a property by following this link it costs just a few pounds number

numberplease Sun 06-Jul-14 23:35:35

I`ve just found out that my daughter used to live near to the landlords family, but she`s lost their phone number, is going to try and get it for me.

Soutra Mon 07-Jul-14 10:07:32

Has this been of any help rubylady?

rubylady Tue 08-Jul-14 06:15:20

Hi there ladies. Thank you so much for your replies.

Soutra Yes, thank you, these replies have been helpful. You are right that I live in a council house and so do the neighbours. The watching is in a curtain twitching, coming out of the house to "put something in the bin" sort of a way. Although, as they are only young, late twenties, and it's mainly him, then I am wondering if it's more that his own love life is bad and he's wanting some more attention, lol. I might start chatting him up, see if that scares him off! It isn't nice though and last week he tried to run into a taxi I was in with his truck when I was coming back into the street from shopping. This got reported to the police, as other incidents have been. I have contacted the council officers and they have spoke to him but he then comes across to them all smarmy and as if butter wouldn't melt and they buy it! So no luck there. We have been told to keep away from each other which I have done but they continue to harass.

Anyway, I am being charged for bedroom tax at present along with my son having to travel to college on two buses. I have just had a night away from home and have decided to move house since I got total peace of mind while away and like the feeling that I was away from the stress of this couple.

While paying the bedroom tax is a pain, I am classified as priority because of downsizing so that goes in my favour at the moment. It's just melting my head where to go, I've lived in this area now for over 35 years. So a lot of research is going into this move.

I don't feel as though I am being chased out of my home by these people. I love my home but I do agree with the theory of bedroom tax, trying to get people to move into smaller homes and letting up the bigger houses for the families who need them. But to charge is wrong IMO. Incentives would have been better.

I do think at certain times of our lives it is time for change and at the moment I feel a change in my life would be beneficial for me, explore a new area, set up a new home, find new friends etc. The friends I have here can always meet up for catch ups wherever I go. I stayed in this area for schools etc but nothing is keeping me here now so time for change. It's good for the soul.

Thank you again, what would we do without our online friends? I do appreciate you all. Sending love and hugs. X

glammanana Tue 08-Jul-14 10:11:18

rubylady I'm so pleased you have something to look forward to in the near future,what an encouraging

Sugarpufffairy Tue 08-Jul-14 13:50:17

Rubylady - So glad that you have come to that conclusion. It is so wrong that you should leave the area you have lived in for so long. My family have had this house for 45+ years but I get the same cr@p and it is mostly the males!! (Not my idea of a real he man!!). I am looking into moving too. I can only hope that I dont land in a place with any worse neighbours than this place. There surely cant be another crowd of ignorant, unco-operative nosey muppets somewhere else!
Wishing you all the very best.
Sugarpufffairy X

sunseeker Tue 08-Jul-14 15:10:14

rubylady great positive post - change doesn't have to mean worse - as you say you will still be able to meet up with your friends (and find out if the people who move into your old house are a match for the nuisance neighbours!)

I live in a small village and when we first moved the immediate neighbours were a nightmare, making life very difficult for us - but we then moved into the lane where I now live and have the best neighbours anyone could wish for, helpful without being intrusive, we hold each others keys, give lifts to the airport etc.

rubylady Thu 10-Jul-14 20:21:43

Thank you again ladies, you're all very kind.

I've put two bids in with the council this week, keep everything crossed for me please. smile

Both houses are smaller, two bed, so the bedroom tax would float off into the ether somewhere and they are nearer to my son's college so less bus fare, (more partying, lol).

No nuisance neighbour, hopefully, to contend with and the best bit, it's my 50th birthday soon, so I would get to scour d-i-y shops for paint and wallpaper! Total bliss!

Hopefully my birthday meal will be in B & Q cafe, full breakfast and then off down the paint aisle. Please, please, please...

rubylady Sat 30-Aug-14 23:15:42

Refreshing this post. He got violent with another neighbour (a single disabled mother) and continues to stalk us. He tried to run me off the road in his truck when I was in a taxi. All reported to the police but they don't seem to be doing anything. No luck as yet with moving, keep coming 6th or so on the list. I'm at my wits end now. I am feeling like I'm being forced to move now. And as soon as I can. I want to just get away from this violent man.

Any comments appreciated.

tcherry Sun 31-Aug-14 08:11:21

ruby you can add harassment to your housing application..It will make all the difference to how high up you go.

When I was a volunteer at my local CAB we had this quite often, and you have lots of proof through your police reports etc, On Monday speak to your housing officer and let her know you want to officially report the harassment and have it added to your application and your points will go up!! rightly so too as you are in this situation.

Maybe the disabled Mother that he is also harassing might be willing to write a statement about her dealings with him, that will also straighten your application

This man is obviously a Bully! look who he is going after, you and a disabled Mum!(have you got a big brother that can have a "chat" with him

It will all work out for the best ruby, just keep positive..a bit of sunshine to help keep you positive

littleflo Sun 31-Aug-14 12:50:37

Can you get your doctor involved. I am sure that this situation is very stressful and he may be able to help by writing a letter for you. I too live on a Council Estate and fortunately have only had a few bad incidents, which our council dealt with quite well.

We did have to involve our local MP at one stage and this really produced results. Why not contact him or her too. Good luck, I hope you find a lovely home for you and your son.

glammanana Sun 31-Aug-14 15:15:19

rubylady certainly get your housing officer on board asap and do as instructed by tcherry you will be moved further up the bidding list pretty quickly,make sure you keep a copy of the report you give her and take it to your GP and ask for him/her to give you a letter stating your anxiety and get that into the housing officer,we did this with the problems I am having with the stairs to our apartment as mr.g. suffers from copd and we have been moved up to the next band which gives us the choice of the next bungalow available in our immediate area.

rubylady Tue 02-Sep-14 00:16:35

Hi ladies and thanks for your comments. They do help me. I have been phoning people left, right and centre today. The community support officer called too and said that she is getting in touch with the police over him. I phoned the ASBO team and they have re-opened the case and are willing to write him a letter saying that his behaviour is unacceptable (to put a fine point on it when he is trying to run me off the road!).

Should I have them write him a letter and/or have the police call on him or does anyone think that this will only antagonise him further?

I am thinking of getting a personal attack alarm in case he is stalking me again. Is this a good idea too? I just want to give him a short sharp shock that I have seen him and short of flashing my bussoms, this is the only think I can think of.

I've not slept over this and my stomach has kicked in with my IBS.

I do appreciate your help over this, thank you. X