Gransnet forums

AIBU

What do you think?

(44 Posts)
grannyactivist Sun 13-Jul-14 20:46:17

Last week, in the middle of a very busy time, I took the trouble to clean the outside, downstairs windows of the house. It took me a long time and a lot of effort, but I was pleased to have saved my extremely hardworking husband a job. I will confess the windows were not perfect when I'd finished, but they were clean. This evening I found my husband with the window cleaner re- doing all the windows. I was cross - he explained he thought he was 'helping'. What do you say, am I being unreasonable?

Lona Mon 14-Jul-14 09:42:42

Yes, Coolgran a sponge with hot clean water and dry off with an Eco cloth and the windows sparkle!
My arms aren't long enough to do upstairs though hmm

Mamie Mon 14-Jul-14 10:08:57

You can always clean your own windows in France, because they open inwards. Whether this is the cause or the effect of the fact that there are no window cleaners in rural France I have never discovered. Perhaps there is not enough demand for the five year training course that would be required?

ffinnochio Mon 14-Jul-14 10:27:53

grin Mamie.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 14-Jul-14 10:43:56

Mine sort of go sideways which is supposed to make both sides accessible. I don't like to do it though in case it upset the works, so the outside upstairs and, increasingly, downstairs too, get left to the rain to do it.

E-cloths are old hat now! They don't have the fun element of the Karcher. And are less likely to appeal to little boys.

rosequarz you just do a sideways swipe near the bottom, two thirds across, then another from the other side, just past the end of the previous swipe. smile

granny-a the wood moving was different. hmm Poor WM. sad

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 14-Jul-14 10:51:39

My own WM has just popped out to buy more paint as I have changed my mind about the colour he used last week. I do not believe it will take a lot of rubbing down and at least two coats, to cover that shade of very deep pink with a nice light salmon. hmm

thatbags Mon 14-Jul-14 11:58:43

A lot of Scottish windows turn inwards too. The old tenement sash windows did and the tradition has been carried on with modern windows. All our big upstairs windows open inwards. The downstairs ones don't but I can get at the kitchen ones from the inside with a bit of contortion from the inside sill. The front room windows don't open inwards and are a pain to wash. I fell of the ladder and twisted my ankle (not badly) the last time I cleaned them a few weeks ago so they'll probably not get done again till next summer unless I buy a new extendable thingummyjig. I had one but it broke.

Atqui Mon 14-Jul-14 12:04:21

No you aren't being unreasonable. I'd have been really cross, but some men are on another planet, and in the same situation mine would not be able to understand why I would be cross. As to the logs , surely they'd get wet left outside garage!!!

vegasmags Mon 14-Jul-14 13:41:20

Am I the only person who pays a window cleaner to do all the outside windows once a month? Or are they becoming extinct?

grannyactivist Mon 14-Jul-14 13:52:28

In my defense jingl I was actually working off my frustration (does anybody else clean/tidy like a fury when they're cross or is that just me?) and thinking that I was doing him a favour by clearing up the logs. I honestly didn't know they'd been left for a purpose. But it did seem like a little bit of poetic justice. grin
I can't afford a window cleaner vegas - much too expensive. I do miss my German windows that I could literally turn inside out to clean, but they're hard to get hold of in the UK and even if I could afford them they wouldn't suit this style of house. Shame.

vegasmags Mon 14-Jul-14 13:57:13

My window cleaner only charges a tenner - I could manage the downstairs ones myself but not the upstairs one.

Nonnie Mon 14-Jul-14 14:51:57

Have I got the only DH who doesn't notice if something is clean or dirty? Maybe Mr GA just thought it was time they were done so got on with it. Mr N would just decide something needed doing without looking first and it would have taken him a couple of weeks to get round to it!

I think you are all crediting him with powers of observation he just doesn't have grin

grannyactivist Mon 14-Jul-14 14:55:01

Nonnie he knew I'd done the windows because I told him and I was rather pleased to have saved him a job at the time. (Won't be doing that again she mutters!) hmm

thatbags Mon 14-Jul-14 15:01:15

No, nonnie, I have one like that too. It does have the advantage that one can be fairly relaxed about the whole housework caboodle wink

rosequartz Mon 14-Jul-14 15:03:44

Jingls, I still seem to end up with a line of water somewhere on the window no matter what I do!

Reading this has given me inspiration (not to rush off and clean the windows you understand), I have remembered I have some enjo cloths; just found one which looks as if it will be perfect for finishing off the windows after the karcher next time I do them. Some time soon, or next month or .....

ga, hope you offered to move all the logs back again grin

Mamie Mon 14-Jul-14 15:11:25

Bags, I read that as Scottish widows
All that swooping about in black cloaks....

TriciaF Mon 14-Jul-14 15:50:09

Reminds me of a young girl, about 15, who kept getting excluded from school for "difficult behaviour".
Trying to set up some contract for her, asked what she aimed to do after leaving school.
"Oh I'm going to be a window cleaner" she said. "Plenty of work and you don't pay tax."
Good for her!

numberplease Mon 14-Jul-14 16:49:44

Vegasmags, we have a window cleaner once a month as well. He does 6 windows and a quick wipe of 2 doors, for £7.

Coolgran65 Mon 14-Jul-14 17:07:59

Window cleaner comes to our street each month.
He knows to do mine only every 3 months - for £8 - 11 windows.
I can do the downstairs windows in between with my ecloths.
I've never heard of a Karcher...... Only discovered the ecloths a couple of months ago.
Once a year at start of summer DH goes up the ladder and washes down the white plastic window, guttering, and doors.