Gransnet forums

AIBU

Fed up with celebs.

(50 Posts)
NanKate Sun 27-Jul-14 20:49:24

I have just seen yet another article about some celeb I have never heard of called Demi Lovato who has been battling her addictions and eating disorders. Many of these people are in privileged positions with money and connections and the ability to check themselves into rehab.

I have every sympathy for those who have had dreadful lives and have followed the wrong route and just do not have the money or connections to help themselves.

But If I hear of another success story of A, B or C list celeb I will scream. shock

Lona Mon 28-Jul-14 18:07:40

And you'd know that how Ana? hmm

Ana Mon 28-Jul-14 18:34:06

Trial and error, Lona. The worst ones are those in shopping centres - the curtains are far too short and passers-by can see your legs!!! shock

Day6 Mon 28-Jul-14 18:38:09

Many many undeserving people seem to find a route to riches and fame via those dubious 'reality' television programmes. They have no talent to speak of, but are fame-hungry, and sadly many (younger?) people seem to lap it up. I haven't a clue about most of the so-called 'celebs' featured on the covers of magazines...and I have no desire to know anything about them. There is a slogan doing the rounds on social media sites (daughter posted it to me, knowing my dislike of 'talentless slebs') which reads "STOP MAKING STUPID PEOPLE FAMOUS".

A teacher friend told me many young people about to leave school list "being famous"....as a career choice.

Lona Mon 28-Jul-14 18:56:41

Ana shock grin

Lona Mon 28-Jul-14 18:57:22

As long as it was only your legs!

Kiora Mon 28-Jul-14 19:41:41

grin I enjoyed that thanks still chuckling.

rubylady Tue 29-Jul-14 07:57:48

We never had celebrities years ago, they were film stars or TV personalities and most of the "programmes" that are on now in the evening are reality based. What has happened to proper programmes? We go mad when a real drama comes on like Last Tango in Halifax or whatever. I've just got Broadchurch because I missed it and want to catch up before second series. Proper actors making real programmes, not pointless people having rumpy pumpy for getting famous. I'd be horrified if this was any of my children.

HollyDaze Tue 29-Jul-14 17:29:41

Lona - I was agreeing with his sentiment - not endorsing him as celebrity.

HollyDaze Tue 29-Jul-14 17:31:38

Very good post Day6 and sadly, very true.

HollyDaze Tue 29-Jul-14 17:33:56

rubylady - I was thinking much the same last night. I was watching the film 'Becket' with Richard Burton and Peter O'Toole (very good film) - now they were stars and how often do you get films now with a myriad of stars in them? Not many.

rubylady Tue 29-Jul-14 21:56:19

Richard Burton and Peter O'Toole wouldn't be on Twitter though now, would they if they were still alive? It takes the stardom away for me, being able to access "celebs" at the touch of a button. smile

NanKate Wed 30-Jul-14 06:49:56

Slightly diverging onto film stars I recently saw the film 1995 film Dolores Claiborne by Stephen King. The leading US actress was Kathy Bates, well she acted her socks off and was excellent, also another cracking performance in Misery.

She reminded me that IMO there were many great actresses in the past such as Katharine Hepburn, and back here in the UK Thora Hird, Margaret Rutherford.

At least we still have Judy Dench and Maggie Smith.

rubylady Wed 30-Jul-14 15:03:37

And not a botox injection between them, NanKate smile

HollyDaze Wed 30-Jul-14 16:02:45

Richard Burton and Peter O'Toole wouldn't be on Twitter though now, would they if they were still alive?

I would be sorely disappointed in them if they had! A bit of mystery is all part and parcel of stardom; I'm sure we wouldn't admire most of them if we knew all their failings.

HollyDaze Wed 30-Jul-14 16:09:28

I think what separates actors of yesterday is that they could actually act; a lot of them seem to play themselves but in a fantasy role. Take all the different parts that actresses such as Bette Davis and Joan Crawford, Yul Brynner, James Stewart, Gregory Peck - they could play comedy, villains, angelic roles and play them all perfectly. When I see today's actors, they don't really differ in their ways (if you know what I mean) than the characters that they then become famous for (I can't imagine Tom Cruise or Bruce Willis straying too far from their usual roles).

Although, to give praise to one current actor, I do think that Christopher Walken can turn his hand to most roles whatever they call for so there are some that still deserve the title.

Deedaa Thu 31-Jul-14 23:21:19

Do you remember when film posters had the stars' names in BIG letters, sometimes bigger than the title. Nowadays you have to search through tiny type at the bottom to find any names at all.

I think Christopher Walken is very good! On television I think Michael Kitchen is brilliant.

Heliotrope Wed 13-Aug-14 19:19:22

While waiting at the hairdressers I picked up a "celebrity" magazine and did not recognise one name in the articles about them, I worried that I had wandered into a parallel universe somehow and was quite relieved when I saw an advert for Persil which was the only name I recognised

merlotgran Wed 13-Aug-14 19:23:43

RIP Lauren Bacall sad

Iam64 Wed 13-Aug-14 19:29:44

Wasn't Lauren Bacall a wonderful actor, and what a good looking woman. I loved her smokey voice. RIP

TerriBull Wed 13-Aug-14 19:55:08

There was a beautiful picture of Lauren Bacall in the Evening Standard tonight, it was taken in 1945, but looked very contemporary. Her hair looked wonderful given that period wasn't great for women's hairstyles, sometimes resembling bunches of grapes stuck round their heads. Lauren Bacall's hair never looked like that. She looked incredible when she first became well known, amazingly mature, sort of 19 going on 35!

Tegan Wed 13-Aug-14 20:24:29

Who was the other actress that had a similar hairdo?

TerriBull Wed 13-Aug-14 20:38:37

Veronica Lake?

Elegran Wed 13-Aug-14 21:14:34

Probably her. www.moviemaidens.com/photos/full/3-1068-bw-lake23.jpg That hairstyle was so popular with fans that it had to be banned in factories, where it was a danger (Elf and Safety would have a fit)

Tegan Wed 13-Aug-14 21:48:32

That's the one!