Gransnet forums

AIBU

What irritates you?

(90 Posts)
NanKate Sun 27-Jul-14 21:06:21

For me it is when females on the tv sit hugging a cushion.

Oh and when they drink from a cup without holding the handle.

Gosh I must be getting old so many things annoy me. grin

Agus Mon 28-Jul-14 09:57:19

People who say here, in the South East/North West assume everyone else in Britain is expected to know they are referring to England.

People who eat with their mouth open.

People who hold loud conversations on their mobiles in public.

Magazines like Hello full of utter rubbish.

henetha Mon 28-Jul-14 10:06:56

Honestly, not much annoys me except slow drivers. They DRIVE me mad!!
But, there is just one other.... I agree with Petra, - thick people on quiz shows. They make me shout at the t.v. quite loudly! angry

Lona Mon 28-Jul-14 10:45:39

People who jump on the end of a (Gn)thread, and state the bl**din' obvious, because they haven't bothered to read any of the previous posts!

HollyDaze Mon 28-Jul-14 11:56:20

My own clumsiness if often what irritates me on a daily basis blush

With other people, the biggest irritation is not saying thank you, or even acknowledging my existence, if I have held open a door for them or, if they have dropped something and I pick it up for them and hand it back and they just take it and walk off! (With me shouting after them 'you're welcome, don't mention it' - oh, you didn't did you.)

Postmen who left post hanging half in and half out of the letterbox; so I put up a postbox at the bottom of the drive and now they leave the post hanging half in and half out of that meaning that the rain runs down the exposed post and soaks the rest of it in the box to a mush angry

Anyone who answers their mobile phone during dinner or conversation with anyone else and continues to have a conversation with that caller (unless they are waiting for an urgent call which is then understandable)

Ana Mon 28-Jul-14 11:59:43

Lona! grin

Ana Mon 28-Jul-14 12:00:35

(I agree, BTW)

Charleygirl Mon 28-Jul-14 12:25:14

People going around a supermarket with a mobile glued to their ear- what do you want dahling, skimmed or semi and so on. It must cost a fortune.

Nonnie Mon 28-Jul-14 13:02:01

Drivers outside this county who seem to be so rude, never wave a thanks when I let them in, cut me up, or cheat in queues.

Any kind of rudeness and most kinds on intolerance.

London because I always feel so dirty when I have been there.

Cruelty of any kind.

People who eat lots and don't get fat!

Anniebach Mon 28-Jul-14 13:29:47

Ana, I didn't mean I was against regional accents, just oooop irritates me , Received Pronunciation from presenters would cause me to throw the telly out

Ana Mon 28-Jul-14 13:32:45

grin

grumppa Mon 28-Jul-14 14:01:43

Which county, Nonnie? I seem to encounter rude drivers everywhere.

People who are unkind about London!

KatyK Mon 28-Jul-14 14:07:08

Snobbery
People who, when you meet them and say 'hello, how are you' say 'I'm OK' or whatever and don't ask how you are.
When I meet new people and within five minutes they have told me their life story and are not remotely interested in anything I have to say.
I think I am developing some sort of complex blush

newist Mon 28-Jul-14 14:11:32

Cyclists that cycle 3 abreast on single track roads with no mirrors, who have ear phones in, listening to music so they are not aware of the queue of cars behind them waiting to get passed.

Aka Mon 28-Jul-14 14:25:00

People who put forward their opinion as fact and those who can't tell the difference!

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 28-Jul-14 14:27:38

- People who don't indicate
- People on trains wearing headphones but turning the music up so loud we can all hear it anyway
- People who don't put their small kids on their knees on trains/buses thus leaving elderly/pregnant/less able people to stand
- Cyclists ignoring traffic signals (nearly been killed on pedestrian crossings several times by people on bikes who think red lights are only for cars)
- People who pick their noses on trains, wipe hands on free newspaper then leave paper on seat for unwitting readers getting on afterwards (happened too often recently - bleurgh)
- People over the age of ten who cycle on pavements
- Misuse of apostrophes
- Misuse of their/there/they're
- "Could of"

I could go on for a very long time. What can I say? I am an extremely grouchy pedant

grannyactivist Mon 28-Jul-14 14:30:02

RANT ALERT
I am about to explode with irritation at the Student Finance Company who are inept, incompetent and driving me insane!!!!! (Sorry for shouting, but I am very cross.)
Last year I tried to fill in the parental support form online in support of my son's university loan application. It all went pear shaped and proved impossible for the SFC staff to solve whatever the problem was and so I resorted to downloading the 19 page form and sending in a paper copy. This year I had the same problem with accessing the form online and so - as I did last year - I telephoned the SFC helpline. I duly pressed whichever numbers I was instructed, gave my reference number to an automated voice, followed it with letters four and six of my secret password and then, finally, got through to a real person (Hooray!). He explained that I had somehow got two accounts running simultaneously and said he would merge them. But first I had to give him my N.I. number for data protection. I did. He then asked for my date of birth. I told him. Ah, no - 'that's the wrong date of birth' he said. So we argued for a while and then he said that I would need a new reference number and a password that he couldn't give me over the phone due to me failing the data protection question, but he would email it.
Of course he didn't and so today I went through the whole rigmarole again with another customer service operator. The upshot is that I now have to send photocopies of my birth and marriage certificates before they can amend what was obviously an inputting error on their part (I really do know my own date of birth) and this of course will most likely delay the processing of my son's application. I have no confidence that the problem will be sorted quickly and I am totally fed up with 'systems' and 'protocols' that don't allow for common sense actions by employees. Aaaargh! tbangry tbangry tbangry tbangry tbangry tbangry

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 28-Jul-14 14:42:45

Grannyactivist - I forgot to add them to my list!! Very similar experience. Time consuming, exasperating and all their fault!

Elegran Mon 28-Jul-14 15:03:30

Reminds me of a friendsome time ago who applied for two grants for two daughters attending university. One was called (say) Pamela and the other Elizabeth Ann. In due course, three letters arrived, awarding three grants - one to Pamela, one to Elizabeth, one to Ann. Cue a phone call by father to the grant department.

The conversation went -
Father - "I applied for grants for my TWO daughters, Pamela and Elizabeth Ann, and you have sent me THREE grants. There has been a mistake."

Official - (after consulting his notes) "No, sir, you have three daughters, Pamela, Elizabeth and Ann. It says so here."

Father - "Well, one must have been an immaculate conception, then, because I had nothing to do with it, neither did my wife."

Official - long silence.

One grant was cancelled.

rosequartz Mon 28-Jul-14 15:11:29

People who chew gum with their mouths open, on the tv, off the tv, wherever!

When the newspapers publish the weather forecast delineating North and South. The West of the country usually has different weather from the East, north of Scotland different from Yorkshire say. In fact it all varies tremendously, so a forecast telling us it will rain in the north and not in the south is pointless. Stop publishing them.

kittylester Mon 28-Jul-14 15:16:18

All the above, anything else anyone might mention and, most particularly, Sil3. I'm not intolerant just flaming angry Oooohhhh, that feels so much better grin

TerriBull Mon 28-Jul-14 19:02:16

Things like the London Fashion Week where a load of celebs gather round a catwalk with terribly serious faces as if they are about to witness the second coming. Get some perspective, it's just a collection of clothes, some of which are often quite ridiculous.

Nepotism - It's bad enough among famous people propelling their children into broadcasting, acting or whatever especially when they don't have the credentials. Worse still when 20 somethings are put forward as prospective MPs because close relatives have paved the way and some dedicated party worker is shunted aside.

That woman Kim Kardashian and her omnipresent arse! In fact anyone who becomes famous for no particular reason, other than riding on the back of a reality show.

Women who allow their children to run riot, or make a lot of noise in say coffee shops and don't expect to be challenged because, in their opinion, they have given birth to the next messiah!

All the usual that others have stated about phones etc., particularly people who think it's OK to walk along glued to them without looking up and just expect others to walk round them.

rubysong Mon 28-Jul-14 19:27:38

lycra clad posers cycling enthusiasts who ride on the road when there is a perfectly good and expensively provided cycle track all the way from Gunnislake to Callington (Cornwall).

MrsPickle Mon 28-Jul-14 19:34:49

The BbC coverage of the Commonwealth games. I know it's a big deal for a lot of people, but I'm not one of them.
Switch on Beeb 1 Saturday morning.... Commonwealth games. Cut to BBC news channel... Commonwealth games.
We have been TV free recently, except for a Red Arrows documentary last night.

rosequartz Mon 28-Jul-14 20:27:29

Nepotism - It's bad enough among famous people propelling their children into broadcasting, acting or whatever especially when they don't have the credentials

Terri, have a heart - it is so difficult for the poor things - I remember Emilia Fox saying how much harder it is to get on in showbusiness when your parents are both famous actors and how you have to do so much more to be accepted .... hmm
What a load of can'tsaytheword tosh

rubylady Tue 29-Jul-14 06:16:10

In my room 101 would be packaging, sign of getting older I know, but I can't get into some without scissors these days, cooked meats and cheese being the worst.

Also my freeview+ box which tapes programmes I've already watched on normal channels and then tapes it on + or ITV2 etc.

I do live in the north and I don't like Tess Daly's accent neither, she's from Salford, not like her husband who is a fellow Boltonian.

I agree with automated phone services where all you want is a human being and you have to press this and that etc. No wonder there's so much unemployment.

Talking of which, I also hate self service tills at supermarkets. I have paid the same for my goods as those using a checkout operator and yet sometimes have to use self serve. Again, it is taking up the place of a person and a wage. Plus, it doesn't usually save time as the machine keeps crying out for attention every two minutes. Maybe the huge conglomerates are not making enough money to employ people anymore, do you think?

I also don't like the fact that I can't see my screen anymore due to all the liquid corrector on it when I make a mistake! smile