Gransnet forums

AIBU

Neighbours

(27 Posts)
rosesarered Mon 28-Jul-14 12:19:50

Hi Gwoof you are being reasonable, not unreasonable. That said, this is a common problem, especially in the Summer.I wouldn't go to the council though as that may escalate bad feeling between you all.If you never want to move house [or can't] then you have to live with it, make as much noise as you want to as well, don't worry about noisy children.The women over 30 will move out at some point and it may get quieter then.
It is a problem that's hard to resolve.

Gwoof Mon 28-Jul-14 12:09:16

I love being in my garden and when my grandchildren come to stay they love playing on the garden swing and having fun in the paddling pool. They do squeal sometimes like any children but their noise never goes on for long and they are happy sounds.
However my neighbours create a different sort of noise. They have their radio on continually and music all evening and sometimes late into the night, especially when they have had lots to drink. They open all their windows so they can hear all this loud music while they are in their garden. They never have normal conversations, they shout and scream at each other. These neighbours would not call themselves ignorant. They would like to think they are extremely respectable! They have their phone on loud ring and conduct their business in the garden too. This family consists of two parents and three daughters over 30. No teenagers there.
I am retired. I like to hear the birds sing. But no chance!
I have asked them gently not to have their music and radio on so they can be heard in our gardens but they took my request badly.
I do not want to get in touch with the council because it will make things even more unpleasant and the process will probably take a long time.
Am I being unreasonable to want a certain type of peace and quiet in my garden? I understand about 'live and let live' but I am not living very happily with this situation at present.
Any ideas on how I might stop this behaviour or learn to put up with it better?