Gransnet forums

AIBU

Still my house situation.....!!

(51 Posts)
AlieOxon Wed 30-Jul-14 08:16:47

I have two men from the Env. Health Dept coming tomorrow afternoon to have a look at the state of things here.
This follows a visit to my MP Ed Vaizey, who was quite sympathetic.
However I don't know what they will think or what their agenda is!

I am just about at the end of my tether here. I've just come to the conclusion in the last week that I need to be living somewhere else.
And I can't move.
I am urgently trying to get my house and garden to look reasonable....but what is the use if it is unsaleable because the other half of the semis looks derelict? An estate agent has said 'practically unsaleable'.

AIBU to expect something to be done?

On top of that I am half afraid to go into my back garden because of the dogs two doors along on the other side..these are large Alsatians. They have repeatedly got into my garden and when I went to the door there, one dog rushed out and bit me.
The people there are not at all sympathetic and although the police have told them to put up a proper fence, it is going very slowly indeed.

My friendly neighbour between us is in hospital and I don't know where, as these are the people looking after her house. I think she is possibly very seriously ill.

Thank goodness there are helpful people across the road.
But all this has made me ill and this week very depressed. I am just waking up and crying, don't want to get up. Had enough.

Eloethan Fri 01-Aug-14 14:28:18

AlieOxon I do hope that someone can help you with this. It's shocking that people are allowed to behave in this way and affect the wellbeing of others.

AlieOxon Thu 31-Jul-14 21:09:28

Crafting things are better than they were a few days ago. Thanks though.

(rose I am 15 miles away and she doesn't (yet) drive....)

rosequartz Thu 31-Jul-14 20:53:34

Not sure how far away you are from your DD, but if you are in Oxfordshire then it can't be too far? Near but not too near! (Both my DDs are much too far away.)

Crafting Thu 31-Jul-14 20:48:17

AlieOxon sorry, nothing in anyway helpful to add other than sorry you are going through this. Hope you get something sorted soon ((hugs)) and thinking of you. flowers

AlieOxon Thu 31-Jul-14 20:46:04

2roses - No, not easy. Yes my daughter wants me nearer...I don't know whether I want to go back to Oxford. That's the problem.

I was very close to her, but things are a bit strained at the moment, for various reasons. She has been under a lot of stress I know, but she kept telling me I was doing things wrong in dealing with council/police etc which was infuriating!
I got upset. Hence my rant on here. Support always forthcoming on GN - and then reassurance from police and council man....thank goodness!

rosequartz Thu 31-Jul-14 20:17:18

I think you have to state now when selling whether there are any disputes with neighbours, which can make it more difficult. Sorry, don't mean to be pessimistic, just realistic. However, I get the impression that you really would like to stay where you are, Alie, so I would think that it is a case of making the best of it, getting things put right, perhaps a fence as high as you are allowed and ignoring them next door. Moving is so expensive as well, especially now we (or a lot of us) are retired - it is fine if you are moving to somewhere cheaper but not so easy if not.

rosesarered Thu 31-Jul-14 19:21:41

I thought at one time your DD wanted you to be nearer to Oxford Alie?
Nobody wants to move unless they have to though, it's expensive.If you like the area, then seeing what you can do to make things better is probably the way to go. If it gets too much, see who would buy the house.Once you have had a dispute with a neighbour, it can make it hard to sell, but I wonder if the council would buy it, did you ever find out?

AlieOxon Thu 31-Jul-14 16:06:51

Sounds good, but none for sale just now!

I think I have to hang on here and see what the Env. Health can do, and get my house looking better - and get a car space in the front garden, which has been in the pipeline for three years....but I had to pay for the gutters......must get on with this and other things here. (Spend money.)

I do feel better than when I started this thread!
I have seen the policeman and am reassured about the fence - and my grandson and I changed my front door lock - and I think I have been believed about the shed damage, and that the EH bloke will do what he can.....

Keep my options open. Keep in mind I actually don't have to go to Oxford.
Please keep the ideas coming folks. Thank you all.

rosesarered Thu 31-Jul-14 15:27:33

Sorry to hear that your problems continue Alie. If you do go down the road of selling your house, and looking at park homes, take a look at the Kennington residential park, it's lovely and right on the bus route to Oxford.I used to know somebody who lived there.So many trees, and their own little gardens.

AlieOxon Thu 31-Jul-14 14:41:44

Well, they came, they saw, and they were reassuring about the possibility of water leaks from next door into my house. (I hope.)

They say they will try and 're-engage' with next door and see what can be done. Um.

They were actually more interested in my damaged shed.....I have more hopes about that.

I dunno.

AlieOxon Thu 31-Jul-14 13:07:20

Now waiting for the Environmental Health council blokes to come, 2pm.

The local councilor told me they have some to assess the damage to my house, and I have several interesting photos to show them....I hope that is really why they are coming.

rosequartz Thu 31-Jul-14 11:16:16

Yes, the all have their own gardens where SIL lives.

Yes, neighbours are a lottery, we have some new ones, they moved in one weekend and have been on holiday since. Not exactly next door though. Hope they will be nice, probably not quiet like the previous ones as they have young children!

Elegran Thu 31-Jul-14 11:06:39

You could still have your own garden - depends on how the site is organised. I can understand you not wanting to add your own house to the chaos next door.

AlieOxon Thu 31-Jul-14 11:02:31

Neighbours are such a lottery, aren't they?

I am glad of all your comments on the park homes, and have even been looking online. I couldn't do with a communal garden though, want my own.

This road is quite a decent one, and part of my feelings are that I don't want it to go downhill with No. 16.....it was really nice when I came here, and very quiet indeed....I came to Didcot to a book club meeting when househunting, and drove over here afterwards, sat and listened, and it was so quiet I think that decided me.

Is not so quiet now, not just the dogs but motorbikes.....

Elegran Thu 31-Jul-14 10:33:24

rosequartz I don't mean that everyone thinks of Park home dwellers that way - by no means - but if you suggest it to people some react as though you are suggesting sleeping in the car with a portapotti in the boot, or think it will be cramped and draughty.

My aunt and uncle lived in a lovely site, with a winding road through mature woodland. There were enclaves with two or three in, and some in their individual corners. They had gardens and could put up sheds and greenhouses, and most had a pet of some kind.

They then moved to a council house/social housing, which they decorated beautifully and added a conservatory to. The neighbours there were mixed, but the average character and the state of the area was good.

Uncle has since died, aunt has bought her house and still lives there, but hankers after her previous home. She almost bought another Park home instead of the council house, to live there again, but the only available site was near the perimeter and the main road. She has two cats and feared that they would come to grief.

rosequartz Thu 31-Jul-14 10:28:55

One is a 'residential park' the other would be a 'leisure park' .

SIL lives on a residential park in Devon, where everyone takes great pride in their homes and gardens. There is no restriction about vacating it - it is her home 52 weeks of the year.

Someone else we know lives in a fantastic park home in Cornwall, however it is on a leisure site so they have to vacate it for two weeks every year.

rosequartz Thu 31-Jul-14 10:19:27

That sounds like a 'caravan park' I think, whereas Park Homes and the like are occupied all the year round - just like any other house/home; however you buy the home but not the land, therefore have to pay ground rent.

Lona Thu 31-Jul-14 10:18:37

In the area that I live in, there are quite a few park home sites, and they are really lovely, peaceful places. Lots of nice gardens and hanging baskets, and mainly owned by older people.
Definitely an option to consider smile

Anne58 Thu 31-Jul-14 10:14:49

If you may remember, I had a brief stint selling caravans/park homes. The location was lovely and very well maintained BUT owners were not allowed to occupy them between 15th January & 15th March.

I did sell one that was referred to as a "lodge" (like 2 very large mobile homes put together) and have to say it was gorgeous, I was so impressed I made Mr P come and take a look. 2 bathrooms, (1 ensuite) dressing rooms as well as 2 bedrooms, fab kitchen, living room, large veranda all the way round. It was second hand, but only 1 year old and immaculate. £89,000.

The couple I sold it to were over 70 and had spent the last 10 years touring Europe in their motor home, so the restriction didn't bother them at all, as they were planning to go back "on the road" during the period the park was off limits.

rosequartz Thu 31-Jul-14 10:11:40

I didn't know that elegran shock

Many people who are SIL's neighbours are well-to-do, some have a park home here and somewhere abroad, or wanted to release money to travel, etc.

rosequartz Thu 31-Jul-14 10:08:04

Hope Phoenix is helping you sort some things out, Alie. I keep thinking about your predicament, and have just read your previous threads on this. flowers

At least those dogs should not be able to get out now - I am surprised they get any deliveries if they bite visitors.

As for the others, I don't know what the answer is, but feel strongly that you should not be forced out or have to accept a lower price for your house because of them. However, if that would bring you peace of mind it would perhaps be preferable.

I have visited two gardens recently where next door neighbours have a jungle. One has a very old lady next door, the other house has nice neighbours who say they will clear it, put fences up again but never do. At least they removed a rapidly growing tree which was growing about 2 feet from both their houses.
We used to have a neighbour who left their dog outside to bark non-stop all day. They did move in the end thank goodness. We have another who leaves a little yapper outside to squeal non-stop, not so bad since DH had a quiet word (although she doesn't speak any more).
If you do decide to move ask at least 3 estate agents for their views, don't just take the word of one.
I wish I could offer more advice but don't know what to say except to offer sympathy, stay there if you don't want to move, look after your own place and I hope there is a big fence between you and them.

Elegran Thu 31-Jul-14 09:53:02

There is a misconception that those who live in them are what are called in the US "trailer trash". Not at all true.

rosequartz Wed 30-Jul-14 21:54:05

There are, however, certain restrictions to be aware of, which in fact may well be of benefit to residents, there is a ground rent to pay as well as council tax plus a commission charge when buying and selling. That being said, SIL loves hers, the park where she lives is very attractive and everyone is very friendly.

merlotgran Wed 30-Jul-14 21:47:47

I agree about park homes. We looked round a brand new one while we were buying a second hand mobile home for DD to live in while we do a building conversion. We were just being nosey but I was very impressed with the design and clever use of space. It was so comfortable and well equipped I would happily live in one if ever the need arose.

Elegran Wed 30-Jul-14 21:16:11

At least go and look at park homes, Alie, the real thing, not the online showrooms. There are different kinds of settings. Some of them are incredibly and unbearably neat and bare, in serried rows with not a blade of grass out of place. Some are surrounded by mature trees and arranged in little groups, quite different. They are well insulated and warm.