Gransnet forums

AIBU

Still my house situation.....!!

(50 Posts)
AlieOxon Wed 30-Jul-14 08:16:47

I have two men from the Env. Health Dept coming tomorrow afternoon to have a look at the state of things here.
This follows a visit to my MP Ed Vaizey, who was quite sympathetic.
However I don't know what they will think or what their agenda is!

I am just about at the end of my tether here. I've just come to the conclusion in the last week that I need to be living somewhere else.
And I can't move.
I am urgently trying to get my house and garden to look reasonable....but what is the use if it is unsaleable because the other half of the semis looks derelict? An estate agent has said 'practically unsaleable'.

AIBU to expect something to be done?

On top of that I am half afraid to go into my back garden because of the dogs two doors along on the other side..these are large Alsatians. They have repeatedly got into my garden and when I went to the door there, one dog rushed out and bit me.
The people there are not at all sympathetic and although the police have told them to put up a proper fence, it is going very slowly indeed.

My friendly neighbour between us is in hospital and I don't know where, as these are the people looking after her house. I think she is possibly very seriously ill.

Thank goodness there are helpful people across the road.
But all this has made me ill and this week very depressed. I am just waking up and crying, don't want to get up. Had enough.

kittylester Wed 30-Jul-14 08:22:42

Oh Alie, I have followed this saga with dismay and am not surprised you are feeling depressed. sad

I wonder if you could rent your house out and use the income to rent something else? Someone else will probably come up with something better.(((hugs)))

Charleygirl Wed 30-Jul-14 08:35:58

Alie have you asked your local council if they would like to buy your house? You have had a dreadful time of it and the unruly German shepherds a couple of doors away are the last straw.

Mishap Wed 30-Jul-14 08:42:43

Last straw indeed - I am so sorry that this dreadful saga is continuing and not surprised that you are feeling low. Waking up and crying and not wanting to get up is not a good place to be - a visit to the doc might be in order, as she/he might be able to verify the serious impact this is having on your health and add her voice to the others on your behalf.

joannapiano Wed 30-Jul-14 08:44:10

Could you put it to Auction? So sorry to hear of your stressful situation.

Anne58 Wed 30-Jul-14 08:46:46

Alie the suggestion made by Charliegirl is definitely worth looking into. You have nothing to lose by making an enquiry.

AlieOxon Wed 30-Jul-14 08:54:33

Thank you for sympathy folks. It does help.

It's not just being able to sell the house, it's needing to make the price to get another!
Actually the idea of asking the council is possibly a very good one!

I've arranged to speak to my GP on Monday, but she is on holiday until then.
Must get up.

Anne58 Wed 30-Jul-14 09:02:07

Might be an idea to speak to the Council before the Env. Health chaps come, re. the possible purchase I mean. Perhaps then the visit could cover some of the other things that may be part of a potential purchase assessment?

AlieOxon Wed 30-Jul-14 09:23:35

Who would I get in touch with?

(Re the dog fence, I have just phoned to get a message to the policeman who gave the neighbours a week to get a fence up.)

Anne58 Wed 30-Jul-14 09:28:08

First of all check if your L.A handles their own what I believe is now called "Social Housing" or if it is under the control of a Housing Association.

You should be able to find this by having a scout around the website.

AlieOxon Wed 30-Jul-14 09:46:44

There is a Housing Ass. here - does that mean the Council don't handle this?
I will look at the website.

AlieOxon Wed 30-Jul-14 09:57:52

Haven't yet found anything locally relevant.

....but councils are allowed to buy back ex-council houses....however someone said they were offered exactly half the valuation......

AlieOxon Wed 30-Jul-14 10:06:17

I've found a local Strategic Property Team?
But not a lot about them.

I could phone them - what the hell do I say if asked why I want to move???

Anne58 Wed 30-Jul-14 10:17:20

They might not be the right department, but if not they should be able to give you a steer in the right direction.

You could say something about wanting to be nearer to family, but there will probably be a file in some other dept. where you have contacted them about the various problems. I wouldn't worry too much at this stage, after all you are just sounding them out with regard to asking if they do actually purchase privately owned properties.

I would imagine that it will either be yes we do, depending on certain factors or no we don't. If you're worried about doing it, pm me with the name of your LA and I'll do it for you!

AlieOxon Wed 30-Jul-14 10:30:10

Please phoenix....you know how it is when depression comes? Half of me wants to fight and the other half is giving up....
Will pm.

Anne58 Wed 30-Jul-14 10:55:05

Yes, I do know about depression!

Anyway, have PM'd you following speaking to them.

glammanana Wed 30-Jul-14 11:12:10

AlieOxon I can't believe that you are going through all this it is disgraceful going down the HA route does seem a very good idea if you can get the information you need and phoenix will no doubt leave no stone unturned to find all the information available.
Is it at all possible that your local HA has properties that you may be interested in renting,not as sheltered housing but similar to the scheme we have which is supported housing for over 55's where we live in a smaller community and everyone has their own front door and garden area but the back up of a visiting support officer when ever they need one.Most of these schemes are run by many HA's and they do buy houses for their tenants with larger families.Even though you won't get the full market price for your home which is dreadful you would have to look at the fact that your peace of mind and quality of life is far more important.I feel so sorry that you are going through this and send you ((hugs)) and wish I lived nearer to be of some help to you. x glamma x

AlieOxon Wed 30-Jul-14 11:30:36

Thank you glamma for caring - and thanks again phoenix. Seems it might be possible but I need to mull it over a while.

The HA of course is a separate possibility for buying it. It is a 3-bed, but I have liked the space.....will think a while.
If everything was right I would want to stay here..........

Expecting a grandson for lunch from Oxford. I hear he is awake.

Tegan Wed 30-Jul-14 12:00:28

Could Age UK help? Also your GP. When we tried to move my FIL to a local council bungalow it was one of those that swayed the decision in our favour [but it was along time ago]. I was only thinking yesterday how lucky I am to have good neighbours. It must be awful for you sad.

Anne58 Wed 30-Jul-14 12:15:22

Another thing to consider if it is possible for either the LA or HA to buy the house from you, although they may offer a lower price, you will not be paying estate agents fees, plus no hassle of viewings etc.

The email address I sent you is for the HA, I think your LA no longer deals directly with housing, but could be wrong. I'm going to have another scuttle round the website, damn thing kept crashing last time.

AlieOxon Wed 30-Jul-14 12:43:37

Age UK website is out of order too in places. Haven't found much.
Will speak to GP next Monday.

However, the policeman who has been dealing with the dog neighbours has just dropped in and has inspected the fence and says it is now strong enough to keep them in, so that is a partial relief!

sunseeker Wed 30-Jul-14 13:15:28

So sorry you are going through this - I know well how depression robs you of your normal fighting spirit. Do keep posting on here and know you have the support of everyone here.

rubylady Wed 30-Jul-14 14:34:14

So sorry to hear you are having to put up with this Alie it really is a disgrace that people should suffer from neighbours who cannot get along with others these days.

Moving house isn't easy no matter what. I've come 4th again this morning on the bid I put in last week on another council house. So try again for another one, but I will do it, I will get away from the neighbour who is causing us sleepless nights too. Apparently my case is not serious enough to be super priority, that goes to homeless. There seems a lot of homeless as I'm not top on any result so far.

My neighbour, however, seems in a worse position than I am. She bought her council house (lovely Maggie T hmm) and a couple of houses in our street have sold recently for around £60,000, one of them a 4 bed, lovely house. (Owner wanted quick sale due to moving in with her new husband). How is my neighbour supposed to sell hers for £60,000 and buy another property and pay fees? It's impossible. So she, basically, is stuck where she is. I suppose at least I do have the opportunity to move even though it is taking time.

There are lots of housing associations which you could try asking about buying your home. I know that you would rather stay, and it's really not nice to think that you could be chased out of your own home due to others but your health and state of mind are what's important. What would you feel like if you left your home? Would you pine for your old home? If so think very carefully about leaving. Drive round other areas and see if you feel you could live there.

My heart goes out to you. I hope something will come good.

flowers

AlieOxon Wed 30-Jul-14 18:42:05

Thanks both.
I think I left my last house for the wrong reasons - trying to leave bad stuff behind, and it doesn't work.
But the thought of trying to move now is a bit of a nightmare!

rosequartz Wed 30-Jul-14 20:51:09

Alie, not sure how it works in your area, but in our area you do not have to be in Council accommodation or HA accommodation to be eligible for a Council bungalow for older people in our area. People we know have been allocated one even though they owned their own homes and before their house was sold.

Could someone make enquiries on your behalf to see if there is a scheme like this in your area. At least you would be in an area with older (and hopefully nicer) people who have something in common, and I would not think that large dogs would be allowed, perhaps small dogs and cats.

Alternatively, would there be enough equity in your house to consider buying a Park home? I know a lot of people would not move to one, but my DB and SIL bought one 16 years ago and loved it; everyone is over 50 and no large dogs allowed. There are restrictions I know and a ground rent to pay, but they are generally cheaper than other types of houses and you would be surrounded by people of our age.