Gransnet forums

AIBU

School checking out home before 4 yr old starts school

(279 Posts)
dogsdinner Sat 23-Aug-14 09:09:26

A local young mum whose child starts school in September told me that the school sends someone round to her home prior to child starting to look at child's bedroom and the home to get an idea of what the child likes and dislikes. I have never heard of this and my GC starts school next Sep and I am not happy about someone from school checking out my house. Is this the normal these days? The young mum was happy about this but I find it smacks of big brother. What do others feel and have you had experience of this?

BlueBelle Thu 25-Sep-14 17:55:07

Indeed but a number of posts mentioned the teacher picking up on abuse or ill treatment or even, one mentioned, the lack of books in the home that's why I replied about that

A teacher is not meant to be friends with the parents they should be perfectly capable to meet and greet and put the parents mind at rest at the school which will be the place the children will be in their company- what next the doctor popping in so the child wont be frightened when it goes for its injections or the dentist having a cup of tea round the kitchen table IMO its a total waste of the teachers time and salary, if they have 30 new children to call on, even when making appointments you can bet a few will necessitate more than one visit to find them in and surely their time is more precious

Iam64 Wed 24-Sep-14 08:25:26

It isn't about social work BlueBelle - it's about establishing a friendly link between home and school.

BlueBelle Tue 23-Sep-14 18:54:36

Three children and seven grandchildren at various schools here and away and never ever heard of this practice and personally cant really see any point in it. If its prearranged and there are problems at home the house will be cleaned up and children silenced, the very reason abuse is often missed by social workers As the children are to be taught 'in school' surely its much more useful for the child to be visiting the school What is to be achieved by going to the home. wrong judgements could be made it could be a house poor in items but deep in love Really does seem an unnecessary step too far to me.

Teachers should not be expected to act as social workers.

Perhaps the parents should visit the teachers homes many children have been abused at school too

rosequartz Thu 28-Aug-14 09:31:27

And they each had a 'buddy'.

rosequartz Thu 28-Aug-14 09:30:21

I suppose it depends on the area; as far as I remember there were 15 in DGD's class when she started in reception at a village school ( in Wales) and other village schools over the border in England have similar numbers or even fewer.

Most of them knew each other, I think, and DGD and her friends skipped off happily together on the first day. I think they will be more apprehensive when they start at the much larger 'big school' at 11.

It is the difference between towns/cities and country.

Agus Thu 28-Aug-14 08:19:29

No granjura, it's not a miracle smile, it is commonplace here as the Scottish Government changed the law last year to a maximum of 25 per class for p1/p3 pupils.

I forgot about the buddies.

Mamie, schools here have judged what is the right thing to do that's why I said home visits were not necessary.

I had no idea classrooms were so crowded south of the border and that's a different scenario altogether.

Granny23 Wed 27-Aug-14 23:36:39

The system here in Central Scotland has no home visits but all the primaries that I know of have attached nurseries so most of the children going into P1 are used to the building, staff, etc. Those who have been at Nursery half time while 3 & 4 year olds, go straight into P1 full time, while any children new to the school have a staggered start, maybe 2 or 3 of them starting each day part time and moving on to full time at half term. All the children are allocated a 'buddy' recruited from P7 who will give them a school tour and check up on the wee ones at break and lunch times. The Buddies have basic training in what to do/who to contact if problems arise e.g. wet pants, forgotten packed lunch, feeling unwell or upset. As everyone from the village or small town goes to the same primary school they often have siblings already at school and have already met their future classmates at Mother & Toddler, Playgroup or Nursery. Both DGC's schools have 2 P1s with around 16-18 pupils. Children starting school are at least 4.5 years but can defer or stay in Nursery until they are 5.

DDs both reported 1 upset child on first day of term (not theirs), both of whom were fine after their parents had left smile.

Both my DDs moved back to the Wee County when they were pregnant - partly so that we could help with child care/school pick-ups and partly so that their children would be able to attend smallish local schools as they had done.

HollyDaze Wed 27-Aug-14 23:15:35

The smallest school on the Island had, on average, 18 children which comprised of reception class, Y1 and Y2 - all taught by a headteacher and a nursery nurse. It was one of the best performing schools on the Island.

Aka Wed 27-Aug-14 22:33:49

PS both 4-year olds will be in three-form entry schools so reception numbers will be 75 and 90.

Aka Wed 27-Aug-14 22:31:26

The 8-year old GS is in a class of 16 but that's a private school. The 4- year olds will be one in a class of 25 and the other (at a different school) in a class of 30.

The one in a class of 25 is because the school has policy of no more than this per class.

granjura Wed 27-Aug-14 21:39:22

Would love to hear the experience of other grans re class size in primary school (State and private).

mcem Wed 27-Aug-14 20:55:47

As I said above our p1 classes have a 20 child maximum. When I started teaching in 1972 I had a class of 42 10 yr-olds. Things moved on and class are much smaller now. Sad to see such huge classes elsewhere!
Happy to see GS in a small class at an appropriate age and feel for 4 yr-olds in such big groups.

granjura Wed 27-Aug-14 19:20:43

TWO classes of 15 Agus- is that a miracle or common place in your area?

Our of interest, what is the size of class for all your GC at primary school all?

Marmark1 Wed 27-Aug-14 18:47:08

Thankyou.Aka.

Aka Wed 27-Aug-14 18:19:39

Apology accepted marmark

thatbags Wed 27-Aug-14 17:48:37

Schools are being left to get on with it. Meanwhile we are discussing ideas about what are useful ways of helping kids to start school happily.

Marmark1 Wed 27-Aug-14 17:47:02

Aka.Accept my apology if I caused offence.
But we are all adults here,I do not need your approval.You may disagree with me ,that is your democratic right.

Mamie Wed 27-Aug-14 17:38:20

Well there you are Agus. Under those circumstances probably not necessary. If you have (as in my GDs school) 120 children coming from about twelve or more different nurseries and settings, none of which are very near the school, then you might need to do things differently?
Is it not up to the school to judge what is or isn't the right thing to do?

Agus Wed 27-Aug-14 17:11:47

I have never heard of home visits either, nor do I think they are necessary.

GD2 started school recently, nursery attached to the school, both involved in certain activities together. Parents and pre schoolers were invited into school to meet their teacher and see their classroom then had chats with the teacher and headmistress.

For a week and a half she was in until 12.30. At the end of their day, teacher and headmistress was there to ensure each child identified who was collecting them and again, teacher and HM chatted to pupils and parents/grandparents. DD was invited to a lunch date at school to make sure GD new the procedure for school lunches.

GD started a full day at school on Monday, same procedure for P1 and P2, identify who was collecting and she has settled in very well.

The intake this term was 30 pupils. This was divided into two classrooms of 15.

Mamie Wed 27-Aug-14 17:11:38

Exactly Lilygran. It isn't the only thing that schools do, it is part of the much larger induction process. If, in the professional judgement of the school it is deemed appropriate for their particular set of circumstances, then I really think they should be left to get on with it.

Lilygran Wed 27-Aug-14 17:00:06

Has it got anything to do with where the school is? When my mother was teaching at a village school, everyone knew everyone else and a lot of the children were related. Half the teachers were local as well. There was hardly any need for formal home visits. It sounds very inbred but it was a lovely school and did very well academically. You wouldn't get that in most city schools now so the kind of information useful to the school and the induction useful for the children isn't available any other way.

mcem Wed 27-Aug-14 16:46:01

My GS has just started in p1 at the ( approriate) age of 5 and 5 months. In the last term at nursery - next door to his p1 classroom - he had several visits and has now spent 2 weeks, mornings only, settling in very happily. Next week he'll be in all day. To 'celebrate' this next step, parents have been invited to have lunch with their children.

While I was teaching no-one ever suggested that home visits should be standard procedure and like bags I don't think it's an appropriate use of teacher time.
Far more helpful is to keep classes to a reasonable number !

GS is in a class of 20 - nationally agreed maximum for 5yr-olds - and I'm horrified to hear on the news that classes of 40, 50 and even 60 exist south of the border!

thatbags Wed 27-Aug-14 16:33:47

So that's all I'm querying really—why isn't it happening everywhere if it's such a good idea? Let me turn that around—why have the places that have been doing it for yonks failed to convince the rest of the country that it's a brilliant idea and will ease lots of the anxieties of starting reception kids?

I suggest that very few kids actually have problematic starting school anxieties because other ways of helping them to adjust to going to school are also being used and are just as effective without teachers having to visit kids' homes.

thatbags Wed 27-Aug-14 16:29:13

Secondary, aka. Different scenario.

Yes, I'd taken on board what people have said about the length of time the visits have been taking place, but perhaps you have not taken on board that it hasn't been taking place everywhere. It wasn't taking place in Oxfordshire primary schools in the 1980s, nor in the noughties. It isn't taking place in Argyll primary schools now.

And, in both those places, reception/P1 kids DO go to school during the first week. They go for half days for a period of time (up till the half-term break in Argyll).

Aka Wed 27-Aug-14 16:26:04

Anyway like you Bags lost interest and only arguing for sake of... blush