Gransnet forums

AIBU

To wish ATOS would leave me alone

(140 Posts)
vampirequeen Tue 26-Aug-14 21:03:40

I've had yet another invitation summons to attend a 'prove you're ill' inquisition.

I phoned them but became ill on the phone so my DH spoke to them. Although it was obvious that I was relapsing rapidly during the conversation they said I would still have to attend. My GP has faxed them saying that I am not capable of attending and that if they wanted to question me they'd have to visit me at home. Now we have to wait to see what they decide. Will they come to torture me in my own home or will they, like last time, leave me alone for a few more months?

Whatever they decide they've caused a relapse. Thanks ATOS.

Galen Thu 30-Oct-14 22:10:53

Ah! Found reference.
Apparently not announced officially

durhamjen Thu 30-Oct-14 22:32:23

It's on Maximus's website, the BBC and on Reuters where IDS is quoted, so I think it's official now, Galen.
Here's another mention.

www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDIQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fdisabilitynewsservice.com%2F2014%2F10%2Fincompetence-discrimination-and-fraud-the-us-company-that-could-take-over-from-atos%2F&ei=trtSVO3JNsjkaMnbgogF&usg=AFQjCNHfzb-2JeI_xcHyzGsEf3F5dfWDqg&bvm=bv.78597519,d.d2s&cad=rja

Ana Thu 30-Oct-14 22:36:40

Not sure how you can have missed it, Galen, it's been out there in the media for a couple of days now.

durhamjen Thu 30-Oct-14 22:37:50

It was only announced officially today on the government website.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/maximus-appointed-to-carry-out-health-assessments-for-the-department-for-work-and-pensions

durhamjen Thu 30-Oct-14 22:48:05

The company is not liked, Galen.

dpac.uk.net/2014/10/secrets-lies-maximus-the-new-leader-of-the-inhumans/

It bills itself as a for-profit company. Not many companies own up to that.

annodomini Thu 30-Oct-14 23:11:14

This is a very informative web site and it's worthwhile signing up for its emails even if you don't choose to pay the membership fee for fuller information.

durhamjen Fri 31-Oct-14 00:59:01

Not going to be worth anyone applying for ESA soon, if this happens.
However, Maximus will get the kudos for cutting the waiting lists.

www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CC0QqQIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fsociety%2F2014%2Foct%2F30%2Fcuts-employment-support-allowance-papers-jobseekers-allowance&ei=ft1SVOHcG8fdaLecgbgG&usg=AFQjCNGLMQVYzphWXV0jNf9tMbajuBMuSQ&bvm=bv.78677474,d.d2s&cad=rja

FarNorth Fri 31-Oct-14 07:57:39

Really depressing how the worst-off are being attacked while David Cameron & his rich chums continue to look happy & well-fed.

Galen Fri 31-Oct-14 08:30:34

Probably missed it because I've actually been working!

FlicketyB Fri 31-Oct-14 22:47:30

A company can be no better than the terms of its contract. If we have a government whose aim is to get as many people of sickness and disability benefits as they can and give the contractors who get the contracts cash incentives to declare as many people as fit for work as possible; that is what the company will do.

It is very convenient for the government if we blame the contractor; but we shouldn't let them off the hook. ATOS and similar organisations do the assessments the way they do because the government specifies it in the contract. It is the government that is to blame and lets not forget it.

FarNorth Sat 01-Nov-14 18:54:54

Fully agree with that, FlicketyB

durhamjen Sun 02-Nov-14 10:47:12

Agreed, Flickety, but it's the company which gets the profit when the work is outsourced. Atos said it could do better than an inhouse company, then found it could not. Now Maximus thinks it can do better than Atos.
I read an article yesterday about the probation service. Paul McDowell is the chief inspector of probation. His wife is the deputy managing director of a company that has just been awarded the largest number of contracts to run probation services in England and Wales. It stinks.

vampirequeen Sun 02-Nov-14 22:56:43

An ATOS inquisitor is visiting me at home tomorrow afternoon as my GP told them I was too ill to go to them.

A total stranger who hasn't spoken to my doctor will decide if i'm truly ill or playing the system.

Stress makes it almost impossible for me to speak and often leads to panic attacks or disassociation.

FarNorth Mon 03-Nov-14 10:40:21

I hope you have someone with you for that, vampirequeen.

FlicketyB Mon 03-Nov-14 15:45:21

But we must still make sure that the government doesn't use these companies to hide it's own culpability for these harsh and inhumane measures.

FlicketyB Mon 03-Nov-14 15:47:49

vampirequeen I hope everything went well.

grannyactivist Mon 03-Nov-14 16:59:47

Hello vampirequeen - I hope you managed to cope with this afternoon's meeting and that the outcome is a good one for you. flowers

Galen Mon 03-Nov-14 17:20:49

Problems? Let me know?

durhamjen Mon 03-Nov-14 22:20:14

I thought we were supposed to have got rid of ATOS.

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/senior-atos-executive-finds-new-role-at-the-american-company-taking-over-disability-benefit-9831973.html

vampirequeen Tue 04-Nov-14 09:39:05

Well the doctor came and to my huge surprise was sympathetic and understanding. I was in major panic mode....couldn't sign my name, speak properly and other things. He only stayed about 10 minutes. He said that he was leaving because he was causing me so much distress and not to worry as I'd def keep my ESA.

Took me the rest of the day to recover though and I'll not really settle until I get the confirmation letter but all in all it wasn't anything like I expected it to be.

FlicketyB Tue 04-Nov-14 14:19:33

vampirequeen I am so glad the day went 'well' but it should not be necessary to put you through such anguish to get a result that clearly the only one that could ever be reached.flowers

vampirequeen Tue 04-Nov-14 20:50:45

It's the way the system works and tbh it stinks. They seem to hound the soft targets like me. This will get sorted and they'll start to question my Disability Living Allowance.

Deedaa Tue 04-Nov-14 21:26:24

I'm glad it went well vampire some of the doctors are OK. One who saw DH was almost in tears when she saw how ill he was. We still had to fight it out when they tried to ignore her findings but it is a huge help to have their doctor on your side.

I know what you mean about not being sure till you get the letter! You'd think being ill was enough without all the extra problems they pile on,

maxgran Wed 05-Nov-14 15:53:36

I hate the way the Government use these agencies to assess people! Agencies that have been given guidelines by the Govt and also given targets for how many people they can 'pass' ?

Your own GP should be able to assess how capable you are to work - and in many cases, people have a Consultant for their severe conditions - Why can't the Government accept THEIR word?
The Government dare not risk that because sick people would be allowed to be sick without further harrassment!

Galen Wed 05-Nov-14 16:20:38

The agencencies and Government, both deny that targets are set.