Gransnet forums

AIBU

our beautiful English language is being defiled

(41 Posts)
etheltbags1 Sun 07-Sep-14 10:41:16

Does anyone else think that our beautiful language is defiled.
Recently I had a post from someone who said ffs, I discovered that it is a foul language abbreviation.
Our beautiful language has so many lovely adjectives that can be used to describe and situation without resorting to foul expletives.
I have only studied English to A level standard, my biggest regret is not to have gone on to degree level, however I love words and play on words.
I really think that people who use such language cant have much education. I find this happens every day, I hear kids in the streets shouting the F word, its on TV and films. Overuse of the F word has not made it less effective. I even hear parents using it in front of children.

The F word is supposed to describe an act of love so why does it have to be used as an insult. The B word is an adjective to describe someones parentage, why does that too have to be used as a swear word.

While I agree that everyone has the freedom to choose their behaviour, how has our society resorted to such lack of respect that people use such words to others. Any ideas.

ffinnochio Sun 07-Sep-14 18:06:19

I checked out your link Lona - the fuck word is v. versatile isn't it. grin. I've only used it once on GN for emphasis, with an ing attached. I rarely use it, yet occasionally it is a perfect-storm word.

Aka Sun 07-Sep-14 18:14:36

grin

mrsmopp Sun 07-Sep-14 18:19:13

I remember the outrage wHen Kenneth Tynan was the first person to use the F word on TV in 1965. It was an absolute scandal and people were really shocked.
There was a documentary recently about the training course for marine commandos and every other word was F.

I still can't say it! I was brought up by very strict parents. Glad they can't see how far we have sunk.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 07-Sep-14 18:26:13

Sunk? Really? Because of a word.

I can think of other ways we have sunk than that.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 07-Sep-14 18:27:13

Should be "worse than.."

mrsmopp Sun 07-Sep-14 19:02:00

From their point of view I meant. They would be horrified.

janeainsworth Sun 07-Sep-14 19:41:49

Thank you for the link lona.
I shan't feel so bad the next time the F-word escapes my lipsgrin

Lona Sun 07-Sep-14 19:52:59

wink janea Quite!

Agus Sun 07-Sep-14 20:02:17

Oh, ffs!

Ana Sun 07-Sep-14 20:03:14

grin

Agus Sun 07-Sep-14 20:04:17

grin

absent Sun 07-Sep-14 20:47:54

I always thought that fuck was an English word.

susieb755 Sun 07-Sep-14 20:57:59

I have to confess to having a potty mouth, but only object to fuck when used to be clever ( not ) like at the start of four weddings, and no i would not like to hear to from the mouth of my tiny DGD
However I think it is just common place now ,

I remember my boss in 1977 apologising for saying damn in front of me..

hildajenniJ Sun 07-Sep-14 21:06:03

Not quite what you're all talking about, but I thought I'd throw it in anyway, When training as a RMN I worked on a ward full of demented elderly "ladies". The words they came out with had to be heard to be believed. They taught me words I'd never heard in my innocent Methodist upbringing. One family of daughters used to complain that their mother had never used such language, and the nurses must have been teaching her. They couldn't accept that she knew these swear words already,and her loss of inhibition had brought them to the fore. I still try not to swear, and manage most of the time.

Deedaa Sun 07-Sep-14 23:29:26

Basically it worries me that so many people have such a limited vocabulary. On the one hand I get very depressed by the number of people who only seem to talk about effing this and effing that - on the other hand I loved listening to Malcolm Tucker in The Thick of It raising obscenity to an art form (couldn't accuse him of having a limited vocabulary - or imagination!) But I would object very strongly if he spoke to me like that and it's not the sort of thing I would expect to hear in my own home.