Gransnet forums

AIBU

PPI Cold Calls now coming from US phone numbers

(26 Posts)
MiniMouse Mon 15-Sep-14 12:52:13

Just needed to get this off my chest really!

I've just had a call on my mobile from a US number, which I answered as I have an Aunt out there who is 'nearing the end' and I thought it was about her!

It wasn't. It was another b****y PPI call.

It's left me really upset and I'm so cross with myself for answering the phone in the first place. I never answer 'Unknown' or 'witheld number', but because this one showed a US number I answered it.

So, just be warned that they're coming from all sides!!

Icyalittle Mon 15-Sep-14 12:57:24

And there are made up numbers that look like real ones too. Now I look on here and check them out but it' sim possible if you think it is someone really likely to be calling.

MiniMouse Mon 15-Sep-14 13:10:33

Yes Icya I usually use them too! Caught on the hop today and panicked as soon as I saw the US code angry I really thought it was the care home phoning with the worst news . . .

FlicketyB Mon 15-Sep-14 16:27:22

If the phone says 'International' or 'number withheld' we do not answer it.

JessM Mon 15-Sep-14 16:33:36

I fear the only answer is a call blocker that will filter out all numbers other than those you have put into it. New landline, just moved. Wondering how long before first cold call...

feetlebaum Mon 15-Sep-14 17:02:59

@FlicketyB - that is what I do. Answering a 'withheld' number would be rather like reading an anonymous letter...

janerowena Mon 15-Sep-14 18:05:37

Was it an 00121 number? I get dozens from them, so now enter them into my phone and block them. I thought they had gone away a few months ago, but they have phoned loads of times this week.

I never answer the phone now without looking up the number first. My friends get really annoyed, I lie and say I was in the garden because they don't seem to be as infuriated by it as I am.

MiniMouse Mon 15-Sep-14 18:49:44

Janerowena I've just checked, yes it was. Now I've inadvertently let them know that I exist by answering, I expect I'll get repeats. Not sure how to block on iPhone 3GS. Think I'm more annoyed at myself rather than 'them', though I suppose it was natural for me to answer under the circumstances.

petra Mon 15-Sep-14 18:53:17

Up until awhile ago I always ignored these calls. Oh got angry and said: what if it was me or one of the children and we had lost our phone an had to borrow someone else's. It made sense.

MiniMouse Mon 15-Sep-14 19:08:09

That's the trouble isn't it?! It's sod's law that the one time you don't answer the phone will be the one time when you should!

Icyalittle Mon 15-Sep-14 21:36:56

Yes, I have to answer Withheld ones, my mother has one and I can' tiger her to understand that if she talks to the answerphone I will pick up.

Deedaa Mon 15-Sep-14 22:27:56

My mother in law would never leave messages on our answerphone because she didn't like "that man" who answered it. As our recorded message was female I never did find out what she thought she was hearing!

The answer phone is a godsend for unwanted calls. If I answer one accidentally I just leave them talking and turn the radio up so they've got something to listen to.

harrigran Mon 15-Sep-14 23:35:29

I don't answer the phone at all, if someone really wants to talk to me they will leave a message and I will get back to them. This last week we have had phone calls to house phone and mobile at exactly the same time and showing same number. Why can't they get it through their thick skulls that I would never, ever buy anything from a company that cold calls me. I would not allow an ambulance chaser to have my details or any other shonky invented business to utter one word to me angry

janerowena Tue 16-Sep-14 11:35:46

I know, harrigran. It drives me mad. Strangely, since I FINALLY worked out how to block calls on our phone, and entered the three worst offenders, I have only had one call since. It makes me wonder if the worst offenders are also the ones selling on my number the most.

I have read that online competitions are the worst, they often make money from selling on your number. Also be careful when you buy something, don't buy from any company that says that they don't keep your number private.

janerowena Tue 16-Sep-14 11:38:17

DBH has a spare mobile phone that he uses for all online purchases, I don't, but I never use mine anyway as there is no reception here. So we instantly know when something we have bought has generated more phone calls.

DS is convinced that our phone numbers that we call are hacked, and that is how we get so many calls from numbers that are so similar to family members' mobiles and landlines.

Ana Tue 16-Sep-14 11:47:00

How would that work, Jane? confused They'd have to have a different number for every household they phoned...

janerowena Tue 16-Sep-14 14:59:59

One company would use several numbers to call us. So that we would stop ignoring them. My son even took me to a site and showed me how they had our number. The previous owner (whose number we kept) had a son who had kept an online telephone directory. When I keyed the phone number that had called, (a recorded message that tried to sell us car accident insurance) it came up with his name and where he now lives, I clicked on his name and it took me to an old online phone book he had used in the past. I only knew it was him because he did some plumbing work for us, and told us where he was moving to. Dreadful. If I could see his stored old home number, anyone could yet I bet he thought it was private.

Ana Tue 16-Sep-14 15:12:22

That's worrying...(and rather sinister!)

harrigran Tue 16-Sep-14 17:03:44

We have a new phone that allows you to block 50 numbers, that is now full of cold callers and scammers. We have had 5 calls today which were international scammers. These morons are driving me mad.

janerowena Tue 16-Sep-14 23:35:43

Mine only takes 30, and I was wondering how long it would be before it filled up. The number withheld ones are the problem, as I know several people who are ex-directory, but I just won't answer, I just call back if they leave a message. It drives one of my friends mad.

Galen Fri 26-Sep-14 17:10:54

I'm registered with TPS. I complained about an unsolicited call and have got a reply saying they have written to the company involved

Galen Fri 26-Sep-14 17:13:04

Thank you for your recent communication about the unsolicited direct marketing telephone call that you received on your Telephone Preference Service (TPS) or Corporate TPS (CTPS) registered telephone number.

Unsolicited telephone calls are covered by the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003 which are enforced by the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO). It is unlawful to make unsolicited direct marketing calls to telephone numbers registered with TPS. The fact sheet briefly explains what the law says.

TPS has notified the company you reported that a complaint has been received relating to a breach of the above regulation. They have been instructed to investigate your complaint and respond to us within 14 days of receipt of our letter of complaint. We have also asked that they do not make any more unsolicited direct marketing calls to your telephone number and that it is suppressed.

Thank you again for bringing this matter to our attention, you will not hear from us again about this specific complaint. TPS has no enforcement powers but we work closely with the ICO and provide them with a regular file of all the complaints received including details of this complaint and the response received from the company.

It is the ICO’s responsibility to investigate non-compliant organisations and take appropriate action. The ICO has issued fines against various companies for making unsolicited direct marketing calls to telephone numbers registered with TPS.

Galen Fri 26-Sep-14 18:15:21

See, it pays to moan

harrigran Fri 26-Sep-14 18:33:33

Nothing happens, we have been with the TPS for years. The only way things will change is if they make it a criminal offence to pester people. The telephone companies have the power to pull the plug on these callers but they wont do it because it is lucrative.

janerowena Fri 26-Sep-14 20:30:13

I had the same response. I have not noticed any change in frequency of calls though. Definitely more coming from the USA.