Gransnet forums

AIBU

Thank you by text

(48 Posts)
Atqui Wed 15-Oct-14 13:32:18

A few weeks ago a friend gave me an earful about the evils of modern technology - how antisocial mobiles are etc etc, and how 'standards' are declining!! Since then I have not communicated with her by text. AIBU then, to be a bit miffed when I received a text from her saying thank you for a lovely evening ( after giving supper). I love my mobile and I pad, but after going to someone's house for a meal, I always ring the following day, or send a little card if I don't know them very well. Any thoughts?

Purpledaffodil Sat 18-Oct-14 10:25:25

Think thank you by text is fine, but admit to following up with a card sometimes, depending on the people. (Usually people who send cards themselves) I like having either. Just a stony silence makes me wonder if there was something wrong.

inishowen Sat 18-Oct-14 09:35:26

A text is fine. You've got to move with the times.

Lona Fri 17-Oct-14 16:25:34

That was my thought too FarNorth

FarNorth Fri 17-Oct-14 14:56:39

You had not been sending texts to your friend, Atqui, to try to fit in with her preferences. Maybe she sent you a text to try to fit in with yours?

shoreham55 Fri 17-Oct-14 10:40:40

People always value thank yous esp. the day after the event. Cards show an extra bit of thought and appreciation. Texts can be misinterpreted as impersonal after-thoughts or worse still suggest that the sender really can't be bothered to spare more than a few seconds tapping their screen. So texts need to be personalised thank yous at least

thatbags Thu 16-Oct-14 21:49:31

becoming convinced, jings!?!?! Becoming !?

Shocked, I am. Positively shocked. [tonguestickyout emoticon]

shock grin

Ana Thu 16-Oct-14 21:35:11

I remember cunieform writing from history lessons at school.

There is an online cunieform translator, if bags should ever receive a 'thank you' cunieform tablet.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 16-Oct-14 21:10:04

Runes! I am now becoming convinced you are a white witch Bags. or you have lived too long in the wilds of the north

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 16-Oct-14 21:08:06

I wonder why no one has asked Bags what a cuneiform tablet is. #nobodycares

FarNorth Thu 16-Oct-14 20:38:34

I'd just reply saying it was nice to get her txt especially as she'd seemed to be anti-technology previously - with a grinny face grin

thatbags Thu 16-Oct-14 20:28:13

I was going to add that of course you're allowed to be grumpy if you want but you shouldn't be surprised if people sometimes think it's unreasonable grumpiness.

You did ask! smile

Atqui Thu 16-Oct-14 19:33:39

Whoops. I must adopt a more Pollyannaerish attitude!blush

thatbags Thu 16-Oct-14 15:53:14

In short, I think the reaction you describe is just grumpiness.

thatbags Thu 16-Oct-14 15:46:47

I used to write notes to certain friends in runes. They were able to read them. Useful for notes in school classes.

thatbags Thu 16-Oct-14 15:45:58

I wouldn't be able to read a cunieform tablet though....

Hmmm hmm

How would know who it was from if she signed her name in cunieform?

thatbags Thu 16-Oct-14 15:44:42

I might think it odd but I wouldn't feel "miffed" (what you said you were); I'd just be glad, and in the case of a cunieform tablet amazed and delighted, she'd said thank you. Isn't one always pleased rather than miffed when someone says thank you?

Besides, complaining about "the evils of modern technology" and how "standards are declining" is just the thing to do (or thought to be) in some circles. Perhaps she thought you think modern technology is evil and that standards are declining and was just trying to be agreeable wink.

Or, perhaps you argued so well in favour of modern phones and tablets that you convinced her she was being ridiculous and she decided to reform her ideas. Take it as a compliment smile

There are various ways of looking at the issue. I'm just suggesting ways to cool the miffdom and to make you feel better about your friend.

Atqui Thu 16-Oct-14 15:20:25

Eloethan..Yes that was part of it.

Atqui Thu 16-Oct-14 15:18:31

So, Bags , if someone spent some time grumbling to you about the use of a clay tablet as a means of communicating, would you not find it odd to receive one from her?

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 16-Oct-14 14:16:54

I agree with maxgran. Think this thanking again the day after is a bit outdated.

Evil Bags?! Where did evil come into the equation? grin

thatbags Thu 16-Oct-14 13:55:37

It's not evil to say thank you but it is unreasonable to grumble about what device (chisel & stone/ clay tablet & cunieform bone/ pen & paper/ electronic gradget) is used to do the thanking from a distance outwith the recipient's hearing.

rosesarered Thu 16-Oct-14 13:49:12

I used to send a card, but now always email, as do all my friends. I wouldn't text.

janeainsworth Thu 16-Oct-14 13:30:10

Well, even it it's 'only' friends and family coming round, I still make an effort to produce something rather more interesting than if it's just me and mrA - I'll usually make a starter and a dessert, so a lot more preparation and washing up.
I think it's nice the day after, when you're basking in the glow of having had a nice evening in good company, to have those feelings validated by a thank you text or phone call smile

maxgran Thu 16-Oct-14 13:17:31

If I go to dinner with anyone - I thank them before I leave. Is there any point in doing it again, by any means, the next day?

Mind you I don't go to formal dinners - just to friends and family.

Eloethan Thu 16-Oct-14 01:43:44

I think as long as someone says thank you, by whatever means, that's OK.

Perhaps your friend was referring to what I think is the anti-social practice of having unnecessary conversations on mobile phones, or constantly fiddling with/checking them, when in company.

Anya Wed 15-Oct-14 22:45:43

Texts are fine and I often text a thank you the same night, or if too late, first thing next morning. If it was someone I don't get the chance to see often I might follow up with an email in a few days.

Atqui grin at your failed emoticon!