Gransnet forums

AIBU

am I being unreasonable thinking its too early for decorations

(39 Posts)
etheltbags1 Wed 22-Oct-14 11:24:02

I live near a huge housing estate and often walk through as a short cut and I see lots of twinkly lights in the windows. Whats up!
Is it because the shops are starting to sell lights etc now, that people just cant help buying them or are we all to bored with life that we just want to move on to the next bit of excitement that comes along.

One of the saddest things I saw a few years ago was a young housewife who had her tree decorated, stockings filled and presents under the tree all by mid November. I asked her if she was organised for Christmas and she said yes, presents had been bought by October, wrapped and were on display. She had two young children and I wondered what they thought, would they find it hard to believe in father Christmas or were they non believing, would it be hard to contain their curiosity about what was in the parcels so long before the big day. I came to the conclusion that the mother was so bored with life that she just had to do something. Would she be looking for easter eggs in January-probably.

I don't much like Christmas but I will do what I have to for my DGD, tree, decs etc. but it never takes over my life. Are others like me or are you all so organised that its all done by November.

absent Sat 25-Oct-14 19:24:11

Sorry to hear about your cat etheltbags1. I know how hard it is when we have to say goodbye to beloved pets. I am aware that my old ladies probably don't have a lot more time and when they are gone it will be the end of an era in my feline family.

etheltbags1 Sat 25-Oct-14 16:23:25

after losing my beautiful cat I see things in perspective, I don't care anymore who puts up decorations. If it makes them happy then its ok.

If it spreads love and kindness then we should put up decorations all the year around. Maybe they are hiding unhappiness when they put the decorations, maybe people are lonely. I just wish that if I could have my cat back I would fill the house with decorations, holly, lights anything.

janerowena Thu 23-Oct-14 21:40:16

Sorry armynanny

Square brackets are what stumped me at first, I didn't notice. Plus when I am on my tablet they are quite hard to find.

Kiora Thu 23-Oct-14 21:36:56

[write smile] you get a smile leave no spaces betwix box and letters smile

rosesarered Thu 23-Oct-14 20:51:05

Was it Mrs Soprano? You know how those mafia wives love Christmas bling.

janerowena Thu 23-Oct-14 09:08:48

We were all horrified at choir last night - one of the sopranos was wearing a bright red jumper with a huge penguin wearing a snowy bobblehat on the front! She was a haiirsbreadth away from being forced to take it off!

Gracesgran Thu 23-Oct-14 08:12:11

There are two areas to this, aren't there? What you do at home and what the shops do.

It is the quarter when most businesses make their profit for the year so you really cannot blame them for squeezing everything they can out of it. If they don't make a profit they will go out of business and everyone will have less, and probably more expensive, choice.

I just find I am happier to throw myself into the whole spirit of it. Marvel at the lights (which go on here as the clocks go back and are very tasteful) enjoy the fun bits, etc., while deciding when to do my own decorations.

This year is especially joyous as my grandchildren will be here (with their parents) and we have not shared a Christmas since my son went to Australia some ten years ago. I know I haven't felt as much sense of being part of the celebrations as I do this year but I certainly didn't want to bah humbug it for everyone else so still loved seeing the preparations.

kittylester Thu 23-Oct-14 07:21:13

Leicester has the biggest Diwali display outside India and the lights have been up and lit for about 3weeks although I think the actual date was yesterday! The lights are fantastic and , this year, lots of the shop fronts have been painted in bright colours. The main road with decorations is on our route into town! smile

annodomini Wed 22-Oct-14 23:39:24

Good for you, Granny23. I hope your 'pop-up' shop is a great success. If it is, of course, you will find it hard not to do it again next year!

Granny23 Wed 22-Oct-14 23:29:53

Like most of you I normally prefer to confine Christmas stuff to the week before and the week after but unfortunately this year I opened my big mouth and in response to reports that our wee county has one of the worst levels of child poverty in the country, proposed a small 'bring and buy' event to help struggling families afford Christmas goodies for their children. This modest suggestion has grown wings and now it is planned to take over an empty high street shop for a MONTH, stock it with nearly new toys, last year's 'worn once and now too small' party clothes, decorations, cards and food - all to be sold at minimal prices just sufficient to cover running costs. Excess stock or donations will be passed on to the local food banks.

Although there are plenty willing volunteers (YES activists keen to keeping working together) this venture will take some organising and loads of hard work, so this year Christmas has already started for me.

Charleygirl Wed 22-Oct-14 22:53:30

The fireworks have started and I think that must be to celebrate Diwali.

I am not a fan of Christmas.

etheltbags1 Wed 22-Oct-14 22:22:01

I have to start buying early to budget,but the stuff is hidden till given out on Christmas eve, my decs go up about 2 weeks before but I love the feeling after boxing day when I can go to the shops and just buy normal food, the relief of not having to think 'oh have I got this, have I forgotten that etc'.
I think there must be some people here who celebrate Diwali , maybe that's why they have the lights up so soon.
I enjoy being off work and eating Christmas food but on the whole it is for the kids and Im glad when its over.

Armynanny Wed 22-Oct-14 20:51:18

Oh it did work even though it didn't show in preview ��

Armynanny Wed 22-Oct-14 20:50:22

I think Christmas here starts far too early. There is too much build up and when it arrives I feel it's an anti climax. In The Canary Islands they seem to get things in the shops about 3/4 weeks before Christmas which I prefer. We put our decorations/tree up about a week before and take them down on New Years day. I prefer Easter.

Ps how do I add smilies etc on here? I've tried what they say but don't think it works flowers

absent Wed 22-Oct-14 20:25:58

I like putting up decorations and adorning the tree on Christmas Eve. Young children are in bed and when they get up in the morning, everything has changed and looks magical. Sometimes I was just too busy – 16–20 people for lunch two days running – and I would do it a couple of days before Christmas.

There is a logic to buying presents earlier in the year. In my case, I bought a number of things during the summer – benefiting from the end-of-summer-sales – because they wouldn't be available in the winter and I had to send them to New Zealand when Christmas is in midsummer. Happily, I no longer have to do that, not least because the postage could cost more than the presents. My daughter starts buying presents for her five children and large extended family quite early so that she can spread the cost. Once again, she can take advantage of sales and special offers with reduced prices.

annsixty Wed 22-Oct-14 19:53:39

jbf thank you it was a long time ago but a lovely memory.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 22-Oct-14 19:48:20

That was a nice idea annsixty. smile

annsixty Wed 22-Oct-14 19:43:35

My DC's Infant school always had a Carol Service on a Wed evening near or on 15/16 Dec we would then come home and decorate the tree.It was a tradition we looked forward to and it was plenty long enough for me.I have seen trees in windows lit up in windows on Nov 1st.sad

TerriBull Wed 22-Oct-14 19:19:03

should have typed "for" not or in last sentence.

TerriBull Wed 22-Oct-14 19:17:21

I wish it didn't go on for sooooooooooooooo long, it's two days, that's it really, this build up is so over the top. Storms aside, we are still in Autumn and personally I'd like to appreciate the "now" the changing colours of the trees and everything that this time of the year has to offer.

I think I'd appreciate Christmas more if we adopted a slightly more European approach, what we have in Britain is just an excuse or rampant consumerism.

annodomini Wed 22-Oct-14 19:05:51

I'm away from home for Christmas, but do put my tree up (a very small one) before I go, because I usually have my sister and BiL for New Year. Therefore the tree and cards stay put until they leave.

annodomini Wed 22-Oct-14 18:55:26

Once, in the 70s, when Halloween was over, two young lads knocked on the door and proceeded to sing a Christmas carol. I can't remember which, except that they clearly didn't know it! I told them to come back at the right time, but they never did.

ninathenana Wed 22-Oct-14 18:27:12

A gastro pub near by already has a large Santa outside.

Our decs go up about the 15th Dec

Ariadne Wed 22-Oct-14 15:27:04

That's right, Starling - big festival of light!

Starling Wed 22-Oct-14 15:24:01

Decorations are up in shops in this part of London for Diwali which I think starts tomorrow.