Gransnet forums

AIBU

To have voted for a Friend?

(11 Posts)
petallus Thu 23-Oct-14 15:58:58

On thinking about it, if I was going for a job and one of the other candidates was a personal friend of one of the interviewers I would feel at a disadvantage. This is because in a normal situation a candidate would have a limited time to make a good impression with the interviewers in a situation where they might be nervous.

Someone well known and already liked by one of the interviewers would not have this problem and hence they would have an unfair advantage.

petallus Thu 23-Oct-14 15:53:23

I would make it known that that particular candidate is a personal friend. People will probably rumble the fact at some point in the future and this could leave you and your friend open to criticism (albeit it unjustified).

PRINTMISS Thu 23-Oct-14 15:30:22

Neither do I, if they are all equally suitable, why not have one with whom you know for certain you can work?

vampirequeen Thu 23-Oct-14 13:33:28

Under the circumstances I see nothing wrong with voting for your friend.

granjura Thu 23-Oct-14 09:55:06

I'd say it would be totally wrong to vote for a friend- who is not as good as the other candidates. If it is a case of drawing straws- then voting to appoint someone you know is fine imho.

Sadly, many appoint the wrong candidate for all the wrong reasons, be it because they are friend, relative or some kind of Club/Society (including the worst with the funny handshake!)...

annodomini Wed 22-Oct-14 23:42:15

If it's a secret ballot, who's to know? And if it isn't a secret ballot, why isn't it?You won't be the only one voting for a friend.

janeainsworth Wed 22-Oct-14 23:39:57

Sorry, misunderstood G23, in that case no problem I would have thought.

Granny23 Wed 22-Oct-14 23:33:42

Jane I should have made it clearer that this is not my sole decision, many of the others who will be voting will also know one or all of the candidates personally.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 22-Oct-14 22:49:35

They are all three level in suitability to start off with. You know your friend, so she is unlikely to spring any nasty surpises later. What's wrong with that?

janeainsworth Wed 22-Oct-14 22:41:13

I think perhaps you should declare an interest and withdraw, if it's not too late G23, to protect yourself if nothing else.

Granny23 Wed 22-Oct-14 22:38:21

I have been put in the position of having to choose between 3 candidates for an important post. I have read their statements, pondered and pondered and come to the conclusion that any one of the three could do a good job - not that they are all identical but each would bring their own particular strengths to the task. Then I discussed this dilemma with colleagues only to find that they were similarly perplexed. Although I know all three, one of these candidates is a personal friend and being unable to choose otherwise I have plumped for my friend. Now I am concerned that this, call it loyalty, was not the best reason to swing my choice, but on the other hand I feel I may have applied stricter criteria in judging my friend than the others. The last time I was stuck with this dilemma was when my pal's DGD was obviously the best in the fancy dress parade smile

So am I being unreasonable in choosing my friend over others? or am I just overthinking the whole issue? confused