Gransnet forums

AIBU

Children's names

(130 Posts)
NanKate Sat 25-Oct-14 22:04:59

Is it me or are children given some weird and unusual names nowadays?

Today I was out shopping and heard a family calling for their boy/girl with the name of Coven. Do they know that is a group of witches? Then someone else said 'Come here Anastasia' clearly a more cultured child bit still a bit of a mouthful.

How do the teachers manage to learn all these names as many are just made up. My friend's granddaughter is called 'Sky' as she was conceived in the open air. hmm

rosequartz Fri 14-Nov-14 10:25:21

I don't know many Claudias, but the two I do know or knew pronounced it Cloudier. One did have a German mother.

loopylou Fri 14-Nov-14 13:02:51

Nothing surprises me, just back from supermarket where a harassed mother was yelling Chardonnay and Merlot at 2 kids running riot, and I don't think she was looking for the wine department either!

felice Sun 16-Nov-14 11:56:38

One of DDs friends is called Hermione, she is 29 and it comes from her Mothers favourite Shakespeare play, A Winters tale.
I admit to not being to keen on DGS name, his father chose it, it is a celtic name but a wee bit common,,,,,, ah wrong thing to say i know, but as he is French and thought he was paying DDs Celtic heritage a compliment when he chose it, well. It is also the only form of this name that the French can pronounce. Other than SILs own version. Think Oz cricketers. DD had to shorten her name when she went to school here as no one could pronounce it properly and it really annoyed her.

rosequartz Sun 16-Nov-14 21:53:17

We have a Hermione in the family - Hermione was the daughter of Helen of Troy and Menelaus.