Gransnet forums

AIBU

to expect to be told the best price right away

(10 Posts)
sunseeker Wed 12-Nov-14 15:25:28

My AA membership is up for renewal at the end of this month at a cost of just over £77. A friend recommended an alternative and cheaper breakdown cover so I rang AA to cancel. They immediately said they would drop the renewal fee to £35 if I renewed straightaway. So why didn't they quote that as the renewal fee in the first place?

The salesman then spent 10 minutes explaining why the AA are better and the alternative company isn't a patch on them. I explained several times that as my car is relatively new (4 years old) and that I was planning on changing it for a new car next year anyway the chances that I would need to call on a breakdown service was very remote and I only wanted it there for backup just in case. I just couldn't get rid of him and in the end had to be very blunt and say to just cancel it.

Charleygirl Wed 12-Nov-14 16:17:31

They appear to charge what they fancy. I was quoted around £140 a few years ago and told them no thanks. I am now with the RAC and pay nothing. This is something to do with my original car warranty- all beyond me but I have used them x2 this year and it worked perfectly. My car is 12 years old so I need to be with a company.

The AA rang me a few weeks ago offering a charge of £25 because I have buildings and contents with them. sunseeker just choose a number it would seem.

FlicketyB Wed 12-Nov-14 16:52:47

If anyone does that to me, like my last car and home insurer, I say thank you and goodbye. If more people did that the first offer would soon be the best offer.

vampirequeen Thu 13-Nov-14 09:53:50

I hate it when companies do this. It's just a way of getting the maximum they can out of customers. I barter on most things now. Sometimes my husband cringes in shame but I often get money off so it's worth it.

suzied Thu 13-Nov-14 15:10:00

The AA are one of the worst at this, we have 2 relatively new cars and called them out once last year, albeit on Christmas Eve, and they didn't come. Had to leave the car in a side street and get home and sorted it out after Christmas. They wanted some extortionate renewal figure this year so we saved over £150 by going elsewhere. They did phone and offer us a reduction but they should have done that in the first place.

numberplease Thu 13-Nov-14 15:40:40

The insurance companies rely on people being like my husband, and automatically renewing each year, without question, because, in my husband`s case, he just can`t be bothered with the hassle. Our daughter number 3 has taken us in hand over the last few months, and has saved us a small fortune in insurance for house, car, water problems and AA. That said, the AA did come to our rescue a few years ago when the organization we were with refused to come out to us, citing that we weren`t members, when we`d been with them for several years. An AA man who was nearby offered to help if we joined on the spot, and we`ve been with them ever since. A definite no-no to us is Green Flag, even though they did apologise later for their error.

sunseeker Thu 13-Nov-14 16:05:09

My car insurance is also due at the end of this month - quote from existing insurer £220, went online and found a quote for exactly the same cover for £155, rang existing insurer to tell them I wouldn't be renewing with them and they immediately dropped the quote to £186, went back to second insurer who knocked off another £6 - guess which one I have gone with.

Mishap Thu 13-Nov-14 19:28:58

I find it quite disturbing that companies like the AA, which started life with laudable aims, and worse still WHICH, which is supposed to be protecting us from rogue trading and poor products, have been sucked into this sort of marketing.

soontobe Thu 13-Nov-14 21:31:58

Didnt know WHICH are now less than reputable?

Mishap Thu 13-Nov-14 21:44:51

I think they have lots of hard sell tactics now.