Gransnet forums

AIBU

Waitrose and Thanksgiving

(57 Posts)
janeainsworth Thu 20-Nov-14 17:33:53

Er.... do they realise Thanksgiving celebrates the Revolutionary Wars and American Independence from Britain?

Or perhaps we should celebrate it grin

Whatever, we can choose to be swayed by the marketing hype, or we can choose to ignore it.

Soutra Thu 20-Nov-14 17:28:15

Feel free to ignore Thanksgiving if you wish, nobody is forcing you! That said, there are enough expats and Americophiles for Waitrose to want a share of the market, bet nonu will be celebrating!

whitewave Thu 20-Nov-14 17:18:56

We've been invited to a Thanksgiving dinner on Saturday with friends smile

Brendawymms Thu 20-Nov-14 16:48:07

Ridiculous. I have bought two frozen turkeys, one for. Daughter and one for me BOTH for Christmas.

It's to spread the cost of Christmas.

rosequartz Thu 20-Nov-14 16:47:34

Perhaps they are catering for the American ex-pats over here.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 20-Nov-14 16:45:43

I agree! Ridiculous!

Exiro Thu 20-Nov-14 16:43:20

The latest Waitrose Weekend has an article on Britain beginning to embrace Thanksgiving traditions. As if we don't have enough angst over Christmas Waitrose is unashamedly trying to talk up this very American holiday. They cite the growth in the purchase of turkey's during November. Anyone could tell them that this is probably families purchasing frozen turkeys well in advance of Christmas in order to try to spread the cost. We need to resist this attempt at trying to get us to take on something which has never been part of our culture. Christmas yes, Thanksgiving no.