Gransnet forums

AIBU

Coming to terms with 'how it is'

(29 Posts)
Lavendermuscovy Mon 24-Nov-14 10:49:08

I am 50 years old, parents fit and active middle/ late 70s. I have 4 dc and I am heartbroken that my own mother, throughout my life, would never want to speak to me on the phone, never had a discussion/chat, never wanted to be in my dc's lives and whenever she has come round, has ordered my dc to do her bidding, criticised them, my home, me, has never been to see them in any school play/match/never taken them out, not even for an afternoon.

In these years I have formed other close bonds with friends and even their parents who adore my dc and so my dc do not miss having gps in their lives as they have such positive other role models.

It is only now though in the last few months that I have stopped my regular weekly phonecalls/updates to them as the penny has finally dropped: I remember my mother telling me she felt like killing me when I was ill with whooping cough as a child (she used to get angry if we ever hurt ourselves 'it's your own stupid fault') and throughout my life she would say 'never marry or have children it will ruin your life'.

She never once comforted me or told me she loved me but it is only now after all these years that this penny has dropped because my own dc are now mostly teenagers and I love them so dearly, I cuddle them and chat with them, we have a wonderful, loving relationship.

What I am trying to say that I am having difficulty come to terms with the fact I did not have a warm and caring mother and the difference between how I am with my own dc and how I was treated is so stark I simply cannot bring myself to want to contact her anymore.

The penny started to drop when I would ask them to come and spend christmas with us year after year (they have gone on cruises twice a year and always over christmas for 15 years now, the entire time my dc have been growing up) and then one year they agreed to, my dc were so excited to be having their only gps to come and stay!only for a few weeks later (and after the turkey had been ordered) to announce that they had changed their minds after all. Reasons? Our en suite guestroom and christmas meals would not be as high a standard as what they would get on a cruise.

The hurt and devastation I feel is raw.

Bez Tue 25-Nov-14 12:54:49

I agree with you harrigran - people were not as demonstrative at that time as later generations. I remember always getting a kiss at bedtime and when anyone was going out etc and we were never allowed to part on bad terms - I can remember my mother saying to me how bad I would feel if that parting turned out to be last time I saw the person - something I still think of now. I find it easy enough not to bear grudges and strangely when someone is less than nice to me for whatever reason I forget that incident quite quickly whereas a kind deed remains much more to the surface.
Unfortunately my sister and I do not have a good relationship and indeed I have not seen her or had any communication from her for about ten years. From time to time I still send a postcard or similar with a neutral message asking if she is OK and despite all the problems she gave me for most of our lives I would still welcome her should she contact me. That is just me I know and I feel so fortunate with my family and step family - any of whom I could go to should I be in need of assistance - as my sister never married I worry that she does not have that.
DH always says that listening to how I described our mother and things our parents did and the way my sister spoke about them you would think we were talking about different people. Each to their own I suppose.

alex57currie Tue 25-Nov-14 12:55:32

Lavender welcome. Your post touched my heart. Same scenario, different journey. I stopped calling etc. After 3 1/2 yrs. she called me up telling me she has Alzheimers. I couldn't muster up a suitable response so just hung up. My brother called 18mnths. later saying we needed to rally round. I spent the next 7 yrs. helping to nurse her out of a sense of duty. For all her loss of memory, her dislike of me was apparently obvious to my siblings. When I was alone with her feeding her she just looked at me. I said to her " you're never going to have to deal with how you've tret me. This condition has given you a get-out-of-jail card and I feel cheated! I swear she knew exactly what I meant. I treat my children differently. She's dead now and guess what? I feel liberated. What I mean is life is too short to waste it on toxic people, blood or not. flowers these are for you.

loonygran Tue 25-Nov-14 21:06:02

I have just been reading this thread, and it has made me realise I am not alone. I can't say any more at the moment, but am going through the process of trying to rid myself of years of guilt, and hurt at the sense of betrayal, first by a mother who drank herself to death at an early age because, as she told me, she had nothing to live for, three children, 4 grandchildren obviously weren't enough for her. And now a father who after years of looking up to, and respecting him, I have come to see him for what he is, selfish, completely self absorbed, and due to his own actions a lonely, miserable old man who cares for no-one but himself.
I do apologise for the rant, I am actually very happy with my life, two lovely children, a DiL and SiL that I love dearly, and two beautiful granddaughters, and the kind of closeness and bond that I never had from my own parents, and for that I am truly thankful, but I wish I could put the hurt in a box and throw it away.