Gransnet forums

AIBU

Christmas presents

(65 Posts)
UnconventionalGran Mon 01-Dec-14 18:36:17

Up to now we have always spent c. £50 each on the 4 younger grandchildren and c. £25 each on the 4 older ones, who are all working. We also bought presents for our own children and their partners (8), usually about £25 each. We have run up credit card debt every year and it now has to stop. My husband and I have both been married before. My family are OK with this but my step-daughter is not happy about the fact that she and her husband are not getting a present this year and she doesn't know yet that we are cutting down on the cost of presents for her two children (both under 5). This will now be £20 each. Last year she posted a photo on Facebook showing their presents under the tree and without exaggeration the pile of presents was so big she had to post more than one view to display them all. Over the last couple of weeks she has been advertising some of their toys for sale on Facebook including a gift that we bought! I think you can see where this is going! Does anyone have any advice as to whether we should try to explain further why we just cannot afford to go on like this or does "never apologise, never explain" apply in this case? My instinct is to go with the latter but I have to consider my husband in this. We don't live near and since he told her about the situation about a month ago, she hasn't phoned him.

Greyduster Tue 30-Dec-14 19:55:48

I don't know what I have to do to persuade my children that when we say we don't want them to spend any money on presents for us, we mean it. Ideally I would like to arrive at a situation where we only buy presents for our young grandson and give a decent amount of readies to our two teenage step grandsons who are both impecunious students! The problem is, DH loves Christmas and gets a big kick out of spoiling everybody, and so the children feel they have to do the same, even when asked not to. I'm sure they all have better things to spend their money on. This whole orgy of spending is one of the things about Christmas that I find quite depressing.

loopylou Tue 30-Dec-14 14:09:08

Always wondered why MIL gave me a flannel and cheap bar of soap every Christmas.......I know she didn't like me ( because I married her son and his brother married my sister!), but seemed rather odd to me, am sure I didn't need a good wash!
She also 'recycled' presents so wasn't unusual for recipients to get back what they'd bought her!

jeanie99 Mon 29-Dec-14 23:50:22

Only give what you can afford and never ever get into debt to buy presents.

If your adult children have a problem with this hard cheese.

rubylady Fri 05-Dec-14 15:17:16

Nasty woman Stansgran. I hope she felt ashamed. X

Stansgran Fri 05-Dec-14 09:21:46

I do not remember presents from my grandparents apart from a thin gold bracelet which had belonged to one gran and a cup saucer and plate with daffodils on it from the other. This must have been when I was into double figures . My aunt, a difficult woman ,immediately took the bracelet and said it was too nice for me and I never saw it again.

J52 Fri 05-Dec-14 08:36:20

When my Granny was elderly and did not have a lot of spare cash, I always looked forward to her Christmas present. A diary, bought in aid of a charity. Useful and helped some people, given with love. Win, win all round. X

squaredog Fri 05-Dec-14 08:00:50

Bloody disgraceful attitude, if you ask me.

I'd like to think, that if I said to either of my sons that money was tight, and that I could only afford small gifts for the children this year, they'd say, "That's ok, Mum"

CREDIT CARD? Are you mad?

Centre yourselves darling. Be who YOU are, and stop allowing this bullying.

rubylady Fri 05-Dec-14 00:27:11

I've put a stop on actual toys as, like so many say, my DGS's are snowed under with them all, all over the living room I couldn't walk around last time I was there. So this year I have paid through the PDSA for a subscription to the childrens' club and my DGS's will receive care packs, magazines, colouring, information etc every month for the year ahead on various animals so teaching them and giving them something to look forward to receiving and also helps the charity who put my little doggie back together when she broke her leg five years ago. Win win I say.

The eldest is only three and already has a tablet because he wanted to use the laptop all the time. I'm not into giving into children that young, something I learned when my baby sister was born when I was 15. She had things early and then we had no options as she grew up because she had already had it all.

Plus just keeping on giving them presents all the time does no good in my opinion. How are they supposed to learn to value anything if they are surrounded in things? I'd rather teach them about nature, animals, the solar system etc, anything but keep buying into this culture we have now of computers and tablets for kids. Before that my DD used to plonk them both in front of CBBC for all day. And she is a youth worker. grin

Deedaa Wed 03-Dec-14 22:38:00

When my children were still at school we had a friend who was a single mother of five. She used to buy expensive toys for her youngest, who always used to find them before Christmas, so mother would go and buy something else equally expensive. One year she bought three lots of presents because the child kept finding them. To finance this way of life she used to buy household appliances on HP and then stop making the payments. She reckoned that as she had a child under 5 she wouldn't be sent to prison! She seemed to get away with it but it was a bit galling for the rest of us who paid our bills and often resorted to jumble sales for Christmas presents.

Mick64 Wed 03-Dec-14 22:19:01

As you get older, and options for earnings get fewer, you have to work to a tight budget. I have 5 children, 3 sons in law, 12 grandchildren and a great grandchild due in January, add to that 3 sisters to buy for. I don't get into debt because I have a strict budget for all. All my children, and older grandchildren, are aware that with inflation this won't increase and if my circumstances change will decrease. It's a simple matter of communication, I talk to them so they are never disappointed. However, no matter how poor I got, they would always get a little something, even if it was just a chocolate bar wrapped up with a pretty bow. One lesson I learned, as a working man, was always make your children aware of why they couldn't go to Disney World six times a year.

petra Wed 03-Dec-14 20:07:14

Like most of us, my DGC. Have far too many toys and 'stuff'
It was my DGD birthday a few days ago. I suppose I spent about £50 on several presents. She quickly ripped all the paper off them and asked me if there were any more!!!
I have told my DD that they will be getting one pressy each for Xmas.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 03-Dec-14 19:57:01

I was talking about the grandsons there. Sorry missed that bit out. Don't spoil the daughters! grin

vampirequeen Wed 03-Dec-14 19:42:38

I think your husband needs to talk to his daughter.

My DH has been very ill for the last few months and unable to work. After 12th December he will get no pay at all. I explained to DDs who both understood. I've bought presents for DGC but DDs and SILs will have to wait until our finances are sorted out.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 03-Dec-14 19:40:08

Well, I'm afraid my younger knows that his every wish will be granted once he puts it to Granny. shock

Funnily enough the older one is completely non-materialistic.

absent Wed 03-Dec-14 19:17:35

I never have the slightest idea of how much I have spent on individual Christmas presents but am certain that it varies from year to year and child to child. I do make sure that everyone has the same number of parcels to open and hope that what they find inside seems special and delightful.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 03-Dec-14 19:07:57

Penelope Leach said something along the lines of - if you want to give a child something (or do something she asks you to) and it is a pleasure to do so, then you are not spoiling the child, but if you feel pressured by demanding behaviour or tantrums, then there is a risk of producing a spoilt child if you give in. Which agrees with what you said, Elegran. It means that giving your DGC something which you think they would like, and which you are comfortable with (whether in terms of price or anything else), can be simply a pleasure for both sides.

Ana Wed 03-Dec-14 18:58:16

Yes, that's the meaning it has for me too, Elegran, but I can see that to some it means being extra-generous just for that one day (i.e. Christmas).

Elegran Wed 03-Dec-14 18:54:45

To me. "spoiling" means over-doing giving them nice things, it means showering them with so much that nothing comes as a welcome surprise. It also includes giving in if they throw a tantrum to get their own way when everyone else is inconvenienced, financially and socially, and not teaching them that other people have lives, and to say please and thank you, not demand and grab.

"Spoil" has the general meaning of turning something from good to - well, spoilt - and a spoilt child is one who could have been a good one.

That is not to say that they should never get presents, never be a bit indulged, always be told that they are in the wrong!

KatyK Wed 03-Dec-14 18:40:08

Well my DGD is a lovely, kind caring 14 year old (yes I know I would say that) but she is. She is thoughtful and sweet, despite a bit of spoiling from both sets of grandparents. smile

Marelli Wed 03-Dec-14 18:35:13

My grandchildren (adult now) and my great-grandson (4), have never been 'spoiled' by anyone, though. When they were younger, their parents were hard-up (like we were when they were growing up). Now that things are a bit easier, we do what we can for them. It's appreciated so much and it means a lot to us, too. I don't see that as spoiling. smile

KatyK Wed 03-Dec-14 18:34:32

I have a fridge magnet, bought by my DD, which says 'welcome to grandma's kitchen - children spoiled here'. I try not to though - well not TOO much.

Ana Wed 03-Dec-14 18:23:47

I suppose the phrase must mean just buying them nice things to some, then. After all, no grandparent would want to deliberately turn their GC into spoilt brats, would they?

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 03-Dec-14 18:19:08

Actually, I think it's quite hard to spoil naturally nice kids. Especially when they've got naturally nice mums and dads.

Yeah alright! [finger down throat emoticon]

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 03-Dec-14 18:15:00

I don't think you spoil children by buying them nice things. You spoil them by too laid-back parenting.

Ana Wed 03-Dec-14 18:10:32

No, it's not just you, phoenix...