Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to think that dolls shouldn't just be for girls?

(33 Posts)
vampirequeen Tue 02-Dec-14 18:40:06

I hate the idea of different toys for boys and girls.

merlotgran Tue 02-Dec-14 18:39:07

DS loved his Action Man.

Wherever you went in our house Akshie would be there.....Dangling from the bannister, tied up with baler twine, face down in the tray of the baby's high chair or propped up on a radiator after he'd fallen in the bath.

I rather missed Akshie when DS outgrew him.

absent Tue 02-Dec-14 18:32:35

I have a heap of toys in my house and they include a buggy, which happens to be pink, and a rather dilapidated baby doll of indeterminate sex. My youngest grandson (getting on for three) often plays with it and sometimes the other younger ones do too. It never occurred to me that it was a "girl's toy". If little girls are encouraged to play at being mummy, why shouldn't little boys play at being daddy? He also loves to play with what he calls the big house – a three-storey dolls' house.

NanKate Tue 02-Dec-14 17:29:20

I was rather shocked when my GSs other grandparents bought the youngest a dolly in a pink outfit and a small pushchair.

I stand corrected he often zooms it round the room.

TriciaF Tue 02-Dec-14 17:15:37

What about ActionMan? we bought him for our 2 boys back in the 60-70s.
The girls had Tiny Tears, so I suppose we were promoting sexism. shock

hildajenniJ Tue 02-Dec-14 16:54:20

My cousin had a dolly when he was a little boy. He used to push it around in a pushchair belonging to his older sister. As he grew older he graduated to bikes and go-carts etc. as most little boys do.
On a different tack, when my eldest GS started school he went uniform shopping with his mum. He was very disappointed to learn that he was expected to wear trousers at school, he wanted a skirt and tights like his big sister! smile

grannyactivist Tue 02-Dec-14 16:42:30

My ex-brother in law was horrified when I bought my eldest son a pushchair for his doll. (A cabbage patch baby doll called Chantelle that he cadged from his older sister and renamed Sam - now played with by my grandsons.) I think if perhaps such toys were marketed in a gender neutral way he would still have been perturbed, but maybe it would have influenced a more enlightened attitude in the next generation.

goldengirl Tue 02-Dec-14 16:27:54

My little GS has just turned 2 and as he enjoys playing with a doll when he's at our house [as well as cars, bricks etc] I thought I'd buy him a little boy doll.

I visited 3 well known shops and found plenty of dolls dressed in pink - even in the PINK section of one shop [no dolls in the BLUE section] - but eventually found an anatomically correct boy doll dressed in blue BUT the box was PINK, had a picture of a little GIRL cuddling it and on turning the box over I found words saying how much little GIRLS would enjoy cuddling this doll!!! [cant remember the exact words except for GIRL]. I bought the doll but removed all packaging before I gave it to him.

In today's society with gender equality and all that and men more involved with their children, I am amazed that some children's toys are still very much gender biased.

What do you think?