Gransnet forums

AIBU

Am I the only one to be offended .

(14 Posts)
Eleanorre Tue 02-Dec-14 19:00:17

I treated myself to a subscription to Essentials magazine and the first issue arrived this morning. On the very first page there is a picture of a family opening their presents and the caption says " OMG it's Christmas " I thought this was so wrong .Is it just me ?

Mishap Tue 02-Dec-14 19:02:56

Seems a bit crass.

rosequartz Tue 02-Dec-14 19:09:08

Well, if they were gazing at baby Jesus in the crib it would be understandable ...

FarNorth Tue 02-Dec-14 19:23:31

I had a quick look at mumsnet the other day and I was a bit surprised at the language being used by some of the mums.
It seems, from popular culture in general, that expletives and blasphemy are A-OK ways to express yourself for many, these days.

Nonu Tue 02-Dec-14 20:07:37

Mumsnet does go OTT most of the time IMO
tchsmile

Kiora Tue 02-Dec-14 20:37:54

I know it's a little 'off thread' but I don't like it when mums call their lovely babies sexy. Babies are not sexy. Their often gorgeous , scrummy, delectable almost anything but not sexy. I do think the use of language has changed over the last 15 years. So I'm just showing my age.

whenim64 Tue 02-Dec-14 20:45:04

Completely agree with you, Kiora. That's one that really bothers me, too.

Coolgran65 Tue 02-Dec-14 21:15:36

I agree with all of the above.
My DH is ex navy - he and four sons have colourful language, but are like choirboys in comparison.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 02-Dec-14 23:03:55

God! I've never heard that one Kiora! That's dreadful! shock

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 02-Dec-14 23:04:11

whoops

thatbags Wed 03-Dec-14 07:22:52

Expletives and blasphemy are okay because they are meaningless speech padders. Shrug them off.

thatbags Wed 03-Dec-14 07:23:42

I agree about kiora's example. Stupid is the word I'd apply to calling a baby sexy.

sherish Wed 03-Dec-14 07:44:30

Dressing babies and toddlers in so called 'sexy' clothes is horrible. Are they bringing up young girls who will go for this type of cheap looking clothing? There are such gorgeous outfits for baby girls and toddlers and that's what they should look like. Babies and toddlers.

rosequartz Thu 04-Dec-14 20:58:55

Kiora I mentioned that on another thread -overheard in Tesco Home, a young man saying 'you look dead sexy in that hat' and thinking he was speaking to his girlfriend. When they came round the corner he was speaking to a toddler (male) sitting in a trolley! shock