Gransnet forums

AIBU

Sending Christmas cards or not ?

(98 Posts)
NanKate Thu 04-Dec-14 07:44:24

This year I am cutting back on sending Christmas cards.

I will of course continue with friends who live a distance away and some people who live on their own, but otherwise that's it.

I am not being Scroogelike just feel it is a waste of money. However I will up my contribution to my favourite charities.

Marelli Tue 09-Dec-14 21:09:15

Ours get blu-tacked to the back of the 2 doors in the living room, with family ones on the mantelpiece. Usually there are about 80 or 90. I couldn't just leave them in a pile on the shelf - not when people have been good enough to remember us. tchsmile

Tegan Tue 09-Dec-14 21:58:53

I wasn't going to send cards this year but was so relieved to receive a card today from a friend who didn't send one last year. I'd asked a mutual friend if they were ok but they never got back to me about it. So I've had a change of heart. It just seems a bit daft sending cards to all of my neighbours, though confused.

Ana Tue 09-Dec-14 22:07:02

Yes, I agree about neighbours, Tegan. Same with work colleagues.

It's nice to keep in touch with friends and relatives you rarely see during the year, but seems a bit unnecessary for people you are in contact with every day.

janerowena Tue 09-Dec-14 22:53:51

It's a minefield. I don't feel guilty about not putting all my cards up, DBH alone gets almost 100 from kids at school! They go along the staircase. We don't have any doors downstairs to put ours on, we took them all out, to have more space.

Anya Tue 09-Dec-14 22:55:45

I like getting cards from neighbours, especially those I'm just on nodding terms with it just a quick 'hello' as they're very informative. Last year I

* discovered the pregnant lady over the road had eventually given birth as there was third name on the card, and it was a girl
* deduced that as the elderly couple three doors down were too old to procreate the extra name on their card must be their new dog 'Bertie'
* the new young couple at No. 43 are called James and Judy

and so on. All mist for the grill if ever we strike up a conversation.

Tegan Tue 09-Dec-14 23:51:46

Hmm. You could have a bit of fun with the cards you send to people....

upsydaisy Wed 10-Dec-14 18:20:46

I'm getting a bit fed up with the personalised ones myself, it ends up costing a fortune trying not leave anyone out, mum and dad, sister, daughter, son, grandson, grand daughter, husband, dog, cat (we don't even have a cat) and so it goes on, I see really nice Christmas cards that are just for anyone and non specific and wish I could just send those out to family. They have nicer pictures on them, are a whole lot cheaper and you don't have to stand in the Card Factory picking them all out individually and trying to dodge people, peer over their shoulder, or because I'm long/short sighted (I don't know which) I have to stand back a bit from the shelves to see properly, you can always guarantee some numpty will come and stand right in front of me. Aside from my moaning tho, I do like to receive cards and give them out, though do try to avoid posting any. It would be very sad to see a home without cards falling off the doors, or blowing over every time someone walks through the door - they're part of Christmas's little annoyances.

Mishap Wed 10-Dec-14 19:04:30

Oh dear - I have not sent a single one yet - guilt guilt!

I am planning to send most as ecards this year; but I will send proper cards to those whose email addresses I do not have, and to family and close friends. I feel a bit bad about this as I love receiving Christmas cards and they make lovely bright decorations for the house. But I have not been well this year and will make up for it next year.

We have not put up our tree or any indoor decorations because they are all in the loft and it is hard to get them down. We are waiting for SIL to appear - but since he is in the process of moving house, I am not holding my breath.

annsixty Wed 10-Dec-14 19:32:20

I also have done nothing yet. I am finding it hard to be motivated. Do I tell people my DH has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's or do I write the usual " hope you are well,we are fine"? Because actually we are.we are coping well. No decs out yet but we will get there and the cards will be sent and incoming welcomed.

soontobe Wed 10-Dec-14 20:47:07

I am not in your position. But I think I would write in some that your DH has the diagnosis, but you are both doing fine, in some cards. And just perhaps write "from Doug and Ann" or whatever in others.

Mishap Wed 10-Dec-14 22:17:22

Sorry to hear about your OH ann.

I think that what is said in your cards will depend who they are being sent to. I did not put my OH's diagnosis (PD) in any cards that Christmas - most people who were close to us already knew anyway; and I think I would not have used the Christmas cards as the way of informing others.

rosesarered Wed 10-Dec-14 22:33:43

E cards don't do it for me either! I enjoy the cards sent to us with a few words in most of them [ a few with more than I need to know in them as well] so put up with the price of postage. I do try and deliver as many as possible myself though I can only do the local ones that way. We pay around £10 to send all the rest.It's Christmas after all, so £10 well spent.
A lot of the people we send to are old and appreciate the cards.

rosesarered Wed 10-Dec-14 22:35:10

Not istmus, Christmas!

janerowena Wed 10-Dec-14 23:27:51

The woman in the Post Office today tried to make me send all my parcels first class. She said, that will be (can't remember) and I asked - 'what class is that? I want second please!' She said there was more chance of it getting there faster if I paid for 1st class. I said I didn't care if they got there late, I wanted 2nd class! And since Xmas is two whole weeks away, why on earth shouldn't they get there in time?

I wish I had thought to ask if they are on commission. Does anyone know if they are? Because she wasn't even giving me a choice, I had to query her price. So I bought two more books of '2nd class stamps, please' as well, just to annoy her.

Maggiemaybe Wed 10-Dec-14 23:57:23

I love my Christmas cards, give out/send about 100 every year and get about the same back. They're an integral part of my tasteful Christmas decor - round chimney breasts, on doors, with family cards on the mantelpiece and bookshelves. I always buy charity cards, but take my time choosing them. I do have an account with Jacqui Lawson, which I thought I would use a lot more than I do - e-cards just aren't the same, attractive though some of them are.

Of course, I could be swayed by the fact that DD2 is a graphic designer, working for a greetings card company. tchgrin

Wheniwasyourage Thu 11-Dec-14 17:25:37

Got our first ecard this week and even though it was a charity one and we always buy charity cards, we were underwhelmed. I like the sense of achievement when I've got them all off, including the ones I've had to stand over DH to do. Nearly there now smile . I do like getting them and putting them up, so keep sending them. I deliver some of the local ones and put the rest in the Scout Post at 25p a card. It would be nice if there was a price cut in stamps around Christmas though.

When my Granny was a young woman, the local young men went cycling at the weekends and sent postcards back to all their girlfriends. I'm sad to see so few postcards sent nowadays, and always send to friends and family when we go on holiday.

Wilks Fri 12-Dec-14 05:19:04

There isn't a big card sending culture out here. If you are going to see someone you wish them happy holidays ( it's not just Christmas Day here) and if not, you may send a card. As for postage being cheaper in Britain than anywhere else, as I once heard a politician say, it costs 97p to send a card here and 80 cents for us to send to the UK.

janerowena Sat 13-Dec-14 13:26:26

What other day is it, Wilks? I have never understood why other religions are allowed to have their own days of celebration, but Christians it would appear, are not. I get really cross when schools over here try to do away with nativity plays yet hold a form of mini divali. And a few people have tried to turn it into Happy Holidays too, but without success as yet.

soontobe Sat 13-Dec-14 13:47:22

I have come to the conclusion that the sending fo christmas cards must be alove and well, judging by all the boxes of cards on sale and sold.
Perhaps a bigger population is compensating for the young not buying as many?
Or did shops stock a few less boxes, and that is why they appear to be fairly sold out?

soontobe Sat 13-Dec-14 13:48:01

Or may be our area is still big on christmas cards.

Ana Sat 13-Dec-14 16:34:34

My twin GD's house is festooned with Christmas cards already, because of course they each get one from every member of their class, plus their friends and the nursery staff who run the after-school club...tchconfused

(But of course, no postage involved!)

janerowena Sat 13-Dec-14 22:44:55

I haven't received as many so far this year, neither has DBH from work. I'm really relieved. I'm not saying I don't want any at all, but a couple of dozen would be more than adequate.