Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think 87p rise for some of the poorest pensioners is ...

(11 Posts)
Gracesgran Sat 06-Dec-14 12:47:38

Just heard this on Moneybox so I won't repeat it all.

A million low income pensioners will get a rise in their state pension benefits of just 87p a week in April 2015. That is less than a third of the £2.85 a week increase in the basic state pension. Six hundred thousand pensioners who are married or live as a couple will do even worse, typically with an increase of just 60p each.

The link to the explanation of all this is here paullewismoney.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/the-great-state-pensions-rip-off.html

durhamjen Sat 06-Dec-14 12:55:24

Is there an epetition for this? It's appalling.
I like the way that the government spokesperson said they would not be making the same mistake as Labour of putting up the pension by 75p. He was factually correct. What would 75p be now allowing for inflation?

Gracesgran Sat 06-Dec-14 13:47:03

I don't know durhamjen as I only heard about it for the first time today. The word does need spreading though.

durhamjen Sat 06-Dec-14 14:11:51

Just been checking. I thought it would be on the Ageuk website, as Paul Lewis is the Ageuk pensions adviser. Not there yet. Could be on Citizens Advice blog.

Gracesgran Sat 06-Dec-14 18:51:15

I think this has only just been picked up durhamjen but, when you think about the hoo ha over the Labour increase it needs to be out there. I emailed Any Answers because Eric Pickles was almost sobbing about not taking the Winter Fuel Allowance off rich pensioners (presumably those in the 40% tax bracket) but NO mention has been made of this.

apricot Sat 06-Dec-14 19:54:17

This affects those who get the savings part of Pension Credit - a little extra on top of the basic pension if you have very modest savings. I get £1-odd per week so will get virtually nothing more but will be done out of the rise in the basic state pension.
As usual with this government, they're grabbing dribs and drabs from the poor in order to safeguard the rich.

durhamjen Sat 06-Dec-14 20:16:52

Because of the small private pension I have I do not get pension credit. I am actually grateful that I will get the full increase in the state pension. How sad is that?
Sorry, apricot. That sounds very selfish, but I am not. I will sign anything that makes poor people richer, and rich people poorer to pay for it.

They need to sort out the tax system, make everyone pay fair taxes, not just the ones that do not break the law. Then there will not be this injustice.
Why can't people see that?

Charleygirl Sat 06-Dec-14 20:20:10

It is unbelievable, yet they still dole out the £10 Christmas allowance which cameto me last week. It probably costs twice as much to administer. It would probably cost less in administration to add it to the winter fuel allowance.

It is a kick in the teeth for the poorest.

durhamjen Sat 06-Dec-14 23:03:59

Forgot about that. At least it takes their increase up to over £1 per week next year.

MamaCaz Mon 08-Dec-14 14:26:45

Do you know if these pensioners were also affected in last year's pensions increases (or even earlier ones) or is this totally new? I suspected that something like that might be happening last April, but couldn't find anything online to back up my suspicions.
Thanks for the link, Gracesgran.

Gracesgran Mon 08-Dec-14 22:44:44

It looks as though the Pension Savings Credit has been being cut since 2010 MamaCaz.

This year the maximum savings credit that can be paid is £16.80. From April that maximum will be cut to £14.82. It was £20.52 in April 2010. Since then the basic state pension has risen 19% from £97.65 to £115.95 while the maximum savings credit has fallen by 28%.