Gransnet forums

AIBU

Pass the bubbly!

(33 Posts)
papaoscar Mon 08-Dec-14 16:45:41

Noticed this in the Mirror the other day. Found it hard to believe:

"A Tory peer who slammed poor people for using food banks is on the House of Lords committee that spent £250,000 on champagne since David Cameron has been in office. Baroness Jenkin has apologised after blaming a dramatic increase in demand for emergency food assistance on a lack of cookery skills. Yesterday we told how pampered peers at the House of Lords refused to cut their catering budget after buying more than 17,000 bottles of bubbly costing £260,000."

grumppa Mon 08-Dec-14 21:46:04

To revert to the OP, it was not one House of Lords Committee, it was the whole HoL. And who actually paid: The individual members, or organisations with many guests whose functions they sponsored? Did they drink five bottles a year all by themselves, or with family, friends, etc?

And at about £15 a bottle what sort of champagne was it? Or was the actual price subsidised? Now that would be a scandal!

KatyK Tue 09-Dec-14 10:26:47

Baroness Jenkins actually said 'poor people don't know how to cook' confused

rosequartz Tue 09-Dec-14 10:29:32

I'll bet a magnum of champagne that it is subsidised grumppa - as are their restaurants.

I doubt many of the MPS or members of House of so-called Lords have spent much time with a pinny on in the kitchen.

granjura Tue 09-Dec-14 13:59:08

KatyK- that comment also made me jump out of my skin due to the generalisation. And yet- it would be quite correct to say, that many of the disadvantaged have not been taught to cook healthy meals from basic reasonably priced ingredients. I used to work with SureStart and I can assure you that was true of all the very young mums we worked with.

hildajenniJ Tue 09-Dec-14 14:27:51

I think I've said this before somewhere, but I had to teach my DD to cook basic meals before she went to university. When she was at school she was taught "Food technology", not actual cookery.
If the same curriculum is being followed in schools now, I'm not surprised that young mums don't know how to cook.

annodomini Tue 09-Dec-14 15:03:13

DS2 did GCSE food tech. It seemed to me that every week he was making pizza in some form or another. Miraculously he passed with a B. Now, 25 years later, he is a very good - and quite inventive - veggie cook with a nice line in themed birthday cakes for the children. As for me, I had two years of cookery at school but learnt much more from my mother.

KatyK Tue 09-Dec-14 15:14:12

granjura - I too jumped out of my skin at the generalisation but my DH said 'unfortunately she is probably right'. It was just the expression 'poor people'. Made me think of Dickens. I think it was an unfortunate choice of words.