Gransnet forums

AIBU

I was so disappointed

(211 Posts)
NanKate Tue 30-Dec-14 19:48:34

I set up the Gordon Buchanan wild life programme. (Snow wolf family and me) and settled down to watch his trip to the Canadian Arctic. It was totally spoilt for me by his blasphemy. I could never watch it with my grandchildren.

To set the record straight I am not stuffy or highly religious (though I do believe) but hearing him say twice 'Christ, Jesus wept' it was so unnecessary but I suspect that if I complained to the BBC they would say it was after the watershed.

If anyone had made a comment about Mohammed the BBC would have been apologising profusely.

confusedbeetle Mon 29-Jun-15 18:04:03

whitewave and Petra, sorry, slap on wrist received. Although I hadnt seen the dates and so didnt realise this was an old thread, I also didnt realise that meant I couldn't comment. I am not confused at all and you may disagree with me but surely i am entitled to comment? Stuff like this continues to be relevant and used as an excuse to murder, as Fridays events in Tunisia have shown us once again. No, not yesterdays news. We are High risk of Terrorism. Lets not confuse this with religious sensitivities

petra Tue 02-Jun-15 16:06:42

I'm glad someone said it. Please look at the dates, confused.

whitewave Mon 01-Jun-15 18:34:38

confused you seem to be living up to your usernamegrin

confusedbeetle Mon 01-Jun-15 18:32:37

Dont be offended, I really dont think these phrases are blasphemous. If you take things lliterally, both Blimey and Crikey were originally considered blasphemous, Blind me and Cripple me ( as in God/Christ blind me).
Our beliefs, or lack of are so personal, that it isnt relevant what a person says who is of different beliefs, religious or other wise, We live by our own codes, and cannot dictate others. eg Charlie Hebdoe

Stansgran Thu 08-Jan-15 12:53:47

And the cartoon in The Times today is not funny ,not unkind,does not hold back but is IMO the epitome of what a political cartoon should be.

Anya Thu 08-Jan-15 10:31:45

bags I've just read the whole of his article in today's Times and that says it all.

thatbags Thu 08-Jan-15 09:21:17

This, by D Aaronovitch, is bang on target for this thread as well as the one about the murders in Paris. He says what I've been trying to say all along.

Elegran Thu 08-Jan-15 09:13:00

Now, had the cartoon been about Naziism, and published during Herr Schickelgruber's time in power, the office would have been visited by party thugs, the magazine closed down and the staff never seen again.

Would we now be saying that they should not have used humour against the regime?

Elegran Thu 08-Jan-15 09:06:58

That magazine has published cartoons about other targets. Satire is what they do, some of it biting very deep at entrenched power and extremism, and at other religious institutions with idiosyncracies.

No-one else has retaliated by invading the office with Kalshnikovs and murdering 11 people

soontobe Wed 07-Jan-15 21:34:42

I agree, but I think that in this instance, they did it because of the mocking cartoons?

Lilygran Wed 07-Jan-15 21:25:29

At the risk of starting an argument which will go nowhere, I have to say that blaming it all on religion allows us to ignore the economic and political pressures in this particular terrorist activity. Or any other.

crun Wed 07-Jan-15 20:30:54

The French government may be taking a hard line now, but it's too late. Once you have allowed the religious to fill children's heads with nonsense it's no use complaining if they pick up a gun once they've grown up.

Which process isn't rational?

Lilygran Wed 07-Jan-15 19:58:45

I think it's a mistake to assume the process is a rational one.

Lilygran Wed 07-Jan-15 19:57:34

I don't think it's quite fair to say they are being allowed to get away with it. The French authorities said they had stopped a number of terrorist attacks during the last few weeks. And a French journalist said France is a particular target because the government takes a hard line, for example, on the wearing of burqas.

crun Wed 07-Jan-15 18:32:58

A link to the recommended reading I referred to above.

crun Wed 07-Jan-15 18:24:32

Yes, that's my point, the more you let them get away with silencing anyone who disagrees with them, the more likely it will be that this will happen when someone breaks their 'rules'.

Ana Wed 07-Jan-15 16:53:15

Or perhaps I'm misinterpreting your point, which could be that most of the world is careful not to openly criticise them, and look where that's got us!

Ana Wed 07-Jan-15 16:50:45

I don't understand your last paragraph, crun. How is publishing satirical cartoons 'humouring' people who think that being offended is the way to get what they want? confused

Lilygran Wed 07-Jan-15 16:42:22

This is a very thoughtful and thought-provoking post, crun. But the people who produced the magazine did the absolute opposite of 'humouring people'. They deliberately satirised everyone and the editor is quoted as saying,'I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees'. You could say he died to defend free speech. Maybe the other 11 people who died didn't feel the same?

crun Wed 07-Jan-15 16:12:35

"I also agree we should try to avoid giving offence to others. The problem is that a lot of the time one cannot know what will offend someone else"

That's the whole point, in return for empathy, society is entitled to expect that people justify their opinions with evidence and/or rational reason, otherwise anyone can arbitrarily shut anyone up simply by being offended.

"It's a minefield trying to figure out who you may innocently offend."

Actually, a lot of the time it's not that difficult at all, the people who are generally most likely to get tetchy are the ones who can't justify their beliefs with a reasoned argument.

"It's quite common these days for someone to lose their job, be ostracised, hounded and disgraced because of something they said."

And the topics to which that applies should be subject to rational debate.

"Mockery of others, or downright rudeness, just for the sake of it, under the banner of freedom of speech, liberalism or modernity, is never acceptable in my book."

The problem with that is that most humour is at the expense of someone.

"I don't respect Zeus or Mercury except as fictional figures. Same applies to God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Ghost."

As Richard Dawkins said, when it comes to most of the Gods there have ever been, everybody is an atheist, I just take it one God further.

" I'm astonished that you and others refuse to admit the need to be careful of other's feelings in this one area"

'One area' is just the point. The difference between religion and other matters such as racism for example, is that people can't produce a rational reason why they should be hurt in the first place, not that they aren't entitled to have their hurt feelings respected.

"The concepts of tolerance and open-mindedness seem to have gone by the board on this thread."

Everyone agrees with tolerating that which should be tolerated, and not tolerating that which shouldn't. This debate is about what should be tolerated, and therefore appeals for tolerance are simply begging the question.

Bad Thoughts is short manual on how to debate rationally by Cambridge philosopher Jamie Whyte, here's an apt quote:

"Another test for the absence of evidence is what might be called moral positioning. Does the opinion's defender seem a little precious on the topic? Perhaps it hasn't yet come to a fatwa, but he may in more subtle ways suggest that those who wish to keep friends in polite society ought to back off. Hurt feelings are on the cards if the matter is pushed too far.

Such sentiments are rarely roused in someone who can defend his position with sound argument and evidence. Tell someone that his feet don't look like a size nine and he will gladly prove you wrong by displaying an old shoe box or setting his feet against someone's whose you accept are a nine. It is only when someone cannot defend his opinion, and is not interested in believing the truth, that he will attempt to stifle discussion with good manners. Those who take religion, politics and sex seriously do not adhere to the general prohibition on discussing these topics. And they won't take offence when they are shown to be wrong.

If you start to feel during a discussion that you are not so much incorrect as insensitive the you are probably dealing with a 'respectable bigot'

Only a thug would expose him"

The Parisians have just found out what happens when you humour people who think that being offended is the way to get what they want.

Nonu Mon 05-Jan-15 14:01:35

JING 5/1. 09.30.
Just seen this.!

tchsmile

x

rosequartz Mon 05-Jan-15 10:10:04

Zounds! This thread is still going!

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 05-Jan-15 09:40:54

Don't read it? grin

Jane10 Mon 05-Jan-15 09:36:25

This thread? YAWN (sorry if that offends anyone!!)

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 05-Jan-15 09:30:35

Oh! - it's worth repeating!

"Well may I say sweetie if you will allow me, that if you feel offended all the time , why you join in ? May I ask gently why you feel offended all the B___Y , time ? .
I send you my best wishes .
RELAX"

Great! grin