Gransnet forums

AIBU

I was so disappointed

(210 Posts)
NanKate Tue 30-Dec-14 19:48:34

I set up the Gordon Buchanan wild life programme. (Snow wolf family and me) and settled down to watch his trip to the Canadian Arctic. It was totally spoilt for me by his blasphemy. I could never watch it with my grandchildren.

To set the record straight I am not stuffy or highly religious (though I do believe) but hearing him say twice 'Christ, Jesus wept' it was so unnecessary but I suspect that if I complained to the BBC they would say it was after the watershed.

If anyone had made a comment about Mohammed the BBC would have been apologising profusely.

granjura Tue 30-Dec-14 20:09:52

It was amazing -and I certainly did not notice his 'blasphemy'. It is not a learnt script, but a true and genuine reaction to a really mind blowing situation!

NanKate Tue 30-Dec-14 20:22:40

I'm glad you didn't notice it Granjura and I agree it was an excellent programme.

I am not a religious fanatic but just thought is comments had no place in a wild life programme.

tanith Tue 30-Dec-14 20:26:42

I can't say I noticed it either but it truly was amazing... I will have to watch the second part on catch up tv..

NanKate Tue 30-Dec-14 21:21:32

Obviously I am over-sensitive about the language as neither of you noticed.

Stansgran Tue 30-Dec-14 21:32:53

I agree with Nankate. You can say anything about Christianity but goodness mention Mohammed blessings be upon him in anything but the most fulsome terms and the dear old BBC get their knickers in a twist .

Mishap Tue 30-Dec-14 21:47:22

We did not watch it but have recorded both programmes for my 6 year old GS.

ninathenana Tue 30-Dec-14 21:57:00

We're watching the second episode now. Fantastic!

We missed yesterday's so can't comment on theOP

Agus Tue 30-Dec-14 22:06:36

I notice it but I it's no different to me as someone saying for god's sake or thank god. Which are also classed by some as blasphemy.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 30-Dec-14 22:24:05

I always 'excuse' myself when I say 'oh god' or 'for god's sake' with the thought that there have been many different 'gods'. Which is rubbish of course. hmm

I hate the expression 'Jesus wept'.

granjura Tue 30-Dec-14 22:34:03

If ever a wolf come nose to nose with me, I just do not know what I'd say! Last thing on my mind would be if someone, somewhere, maybe offended.

Just don't get the Muslim comment- as since when do 2 wrongs ever make a right?

granjura Tue 30-Dec-14 22:35:29

Just thinking about it- NanKate, what would you say in such a situation.
I'd probaly say something much worse, but not blasphemous- not sure in which language.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 30-Dec-14 22:39:49

Stansgran got a good point there.

Anya Tue 30-Dec-14 23:02:23

John 11:35 'Jesus wept' - the shortest verse in the bible. NOT that that explains why it should be used in ordinary speech.

thatbags Tue 30-Dec-14 23:28:37

People get murdered for saying so-called blasphemous things elsewhere in the world. We should be glad that doesn't happen here.

I didn't see the programme. I'd be interested to know in what circumstances he said "Jesus wept" if someone would be so kind as to tell me. Was he annoyed at some destruction of wildlife habitat or something? Why shouldn"t he express anger and something that angers him? Jesus did.

Nanabelle Wed 31-Dec-14 00:39:10

I didn't see the programme but I agree with you NanKate - I don't like it either. And I don't know why I find "Jesus" more offensive that "oh God", but I just do!!!!
And why not complain? I once complained about an ad on tv (where a woman took a gun out of her drawer and aimed it ….. was a car ad) and in fact the ad was withdrawn. Obviously many others complained too.
Most of us are not very good at complaining - e.g. in restaurants, or poor service, but maybe we should be braver and stand up for what we believe in.

Nelliemoser Wed 31-Dec-14 00:40:05

My mind is boggling!! How can that be Blasphemy! I can't say I know the actual context but if it was one of the Gospel writers, reporting an alleged reaction from Jesus to something or other How can it be Blasphemy?
It is surely an expression of despair or horror at something dreadful
Should we not say ,"Love one another"?

Nelliemoser Wed 31-Dec-14 00:47:43

Just thinking further about feeling more shocked at saying Jesus instead of God. Where does the Concept of the Holy Trinity come in ?as in God the father, God The Son and God the Holy Ghost.

absent Wed 31-Dec-14 04:07:17

Not exactly to the point but I remember an American friend of mine when she was doing an A level English exam. In those days – I don't know about now – you had to put a Shakespearean speech into modern English. Her paper's was from Othello and began with the word Zounds, meaning "By God's wounds" – a kind of minor blasphemy. In her efforts to think of a modern equivalent, she came up "Jesus H. Christ". I have no idea what the examining board of the University of London made of that.

thatbags Wed 31-Dec-14 08:19:09

Blasphemy is what some people find offensive. That's all. In all cases there will also be people, as this thread has already shown, who wonder what all the fuss is about, that is, why someone has taken offence at some words that do no-one any harm.

Which is why defining things people say as blasphemous is stupid.

Go ahead. Be offended. Big deal! What good does taking offence do to you or anyone else? None as far as I can see but, as I intimated earlier, taking offence can cause a lot of trouble. It isn't blasphemy or swearing or using words some people don't like that causes trouble. It's the taking offence at it and the sense some people have that they shouldn't have to hear anything they don't like. In a free society everyone will hear things they don't like at times. Mature people will just live with that, secure in the knowledge that if they want to say something they think is important but which some people might not like, then it's OK for them to speak up.

thatbags Wed 31-Dec-14 08:21:32

In short, complain then if you want. But other people are free to shrug at your outrage.

ffinnochio Wed 31-Dec-14 08:21:33

A terrific programme. I don't recall Gordon Buchanan being angry at all, and didn't pick-up on him saying 'Christ, Jesus wept' either. I was certainly aware of his feelings of joy, delight, surprise and sorrow.

annodomini Wed 31-Dec-14 08:48:44

I once had a very prim mature student who, when moved to curse, would exclaim,'Oh buttercups and daisies!' But I can't imagine that coming from the lips of Gordon Buchanan. It was a marvellous programme - blasphemy or no blasphemy. Did I notice? No. Do I care? No.

shysal Wed 31-Dec-14 09:45:37

When I read your first few words, Kate, I was awestruck, thinking you had directed or produced the programme! blush Duh! (as my DGCs would say!)

I didn't see the programme, but loved his bear series. I probably wouldn't have noticed the blasphemy, although I don't use those expressions myself.

NanKate Wed 31-Dec-14 14:43:39

No just watched it Shysal.

I realise that my reaction was not the norm and for me it took the sparkle off what was a fascinating film.

I think I am a bit old fashioned and am influenced by how my parents brought me up, but to be honest I wouldn't change a thing (referring to my up-bringing)

I'm glad the programme was so popular.