Gransnet forums

AIBU

easter eggs

(36 Posts)
etheltbags1 Thu 08-Jan-15 09:52:46

Is it me but am I being unreasonable to be horrified to see easter eggs in tescos yesterday and a sign saying 'be an early bird'.
How is that for putting pressure on children to buy sweets etc. There should be a legal limit on seasonal promotions such as December the 1st for Christmas sales and maybe a month before easter before they can start selling eggs etc.

thatbags Thu 08-Jan-15 21:01:04

"lost the right to ripe fruit and veg in season" ????

Really?

I hadn't noticed. I seem to be able to buy ripe fresh fruit and veg in season, every season.

Deedaa Thu 08-Jan-15 21:47:51

My DH would happily live on hot cross buns I think. He likes plain spicy fruit buns too, but I think hot cross ones do taste subtly different.

granjura Fri 09-Jan-15 16:30:35

thatbags have you never bought fruit which are rock hard when bought- and then just go bad as you try to ripen them at home? Or taste of absolutely nothing if eaten in between?

thatbags Fri 09-Jan-15 17:23:27

I don't usually find it's a problem with UK grown stuff. Stuff that's been flown half round the world is another matter. I reckon they suffer from culture shock ;)

nanaseaside Fri 09-Jan-15 22:08:34

January 2nd hot cross buns on sale at Co-op in the "Seasonal" aisle. January 9th Easter Biscuits in at Sainsburys. Next week.... buckets and spades or Halloween goods?

johnbros Sun 08-Mar-15 10:13:36

Yes that's true there should be a limit . www.theeasteregg.com

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 08-Mar-15 10:27:43

I don't think you've quite got the hang of a website.

#backtothedrawingboard

pamhill4 Sun 08-Mar-15 19:24:47

As with anything, the earlier you can buy then you can get some bargains! Closer to the date then prices go up. Just a fact of marketing and stock levels I'm afraid. We have an annual Easter egg hunt for my 5 kids and 2 grandkids and its such fun. But can be expensive if you don't spread the cost and buy when on offer. Currently Tesco do £1.50 medium eggs 4 for £3 ie 75p each, cheaper than the small ones! If you can't resist them in the house then ask a friend to look after them lol����������

rubylady Mon 09-Mar-15 06:17:14

I tried to buy a box of Mother's Day chocolates from Tesco last Thursday only to have them substituted for a box of Thorntons, wrapped up in gold paper, very nice but with a tear on and a pen mark. Ok for me but if I was giving them as a present. I was looking forward to the others though as they looked pretty and were all truffles. As it was the Thorntons contained nuts, which I cannot eat. sad

I would have refused them, but then that would have been silly. grin

FlicketyB Mon 09-Mar-15 16:34:08

Just because Easter Eggs are on sale early, it doesn't mean that people buy more than otherwise. I will be buying DD an Easter Egg this weekend because I will be seeing her next week but will then not see her until after Easter. I have done the same with DGC, taking Easter Egs up to teir parents for them in mid-February.

I like the flexibility buying Easter Eggs early gives me, but I do not buy more.
Does anyone eat Easter Eggs before Easter Sunday?