Gransnet forums

AIBU

that pensioners driving could be a danger on the roads

(85 Posts)
Teetime Tue 03-Feb-15 09:11:27

What concerns me is that medical advice re driving seems to be lacking. One acquaintance of our recently had a cerebral aneurysm and was not advised to avoid driving for a while - at least until his check up we thought. I have recently met two young women who have had a stroke and they haven't been advised not to drive either - I thought this was normal practice as I say at least until their check up.

PRINTMISS Tue 03-Feb-15 09:05:14

I stopped driving when I reached 70, merely because I thought I was a danger on the roads - too cautious, taking ages to decide to go round the roundabout, or leave the side road, and could feel the frustration of any driver behind me. The other half still drives, but only locally at the moment because he awaiting a cataract removal - still has the opticians approval to drive, we do not go out in the dusk, because that is difficult. I think we need to be sensible about this, although it is difficult when a car has always been available on the doorstep. I do keep reminding my husband that we have legs to walk with as well, and we are fortunate to be able still to use them, but of course not everyone is that lucky.

Anya Tue 03-Feb-15 09:04:42

I've always thought that everyone should re-sit the driving test sometime in their life, perhaps every 10 years as someone on MN suggested.

Trouble is with elderly drivers the deterioration in eyesight, reaction time, etc is usually gradual and it can take an accident or near miss to make them aware of this. The other problem is 'grumpy old man' syndrome where they blame everyone else on the road but not themselves.

I think, generally but not exclusively, woman are more likely to hand over their keys or limit driving when they begin to feel they are not 100% safe behind the wheel.

Soutra Tue 03-Feb-15 08:52:10

Let's rephrase this
"Some pensioners (and some who are still at work)"

NfkDumpling Tue 03-Feb-15 08:45:58

We moved into town so we could still be independent when driving becomes a problem. DH now admits night driving is becoming more difficult, so then I drive.

I would say that I found having to do a 'caught just exceeding the speed limit naughty person' course my driving has improved, so perhaps an update course would be a good idea. Cars and driving conditions have changed an awful lot since I passed my test 50 years ago - and having a certificate would exonerate us from automatic blame in the case of an accident.

I do think some people do continue to drive when they should give up, through age - or through disability - but in more rural areas public transport is so dire and taxis so expensive there is often no alternative.

annodomini Tue 03-Feb-15 08:44:11

I've been driving for 55 years and have never had cause to doubt my ability until recently when I've found myself more uncertain in the dark. It doesn't help that the local authority has cut the lighting on the main road from Stockport to Macclesfield which is the one I'm most likely to use. So I confine myself mostly to driving - if I have to - within the village where at least we have lighting.

absent Tue 03-Feb-15 08:34:16

Of course some older drivers recognise that they are not reliable at night or on motorways or whatever, but there have been quite a few instances of older drivers doing ridiculous and very dangerous things. A car can be a lethal weapon so perhaps an extra test of older drivers is not a bad move.

hildajenniJ Tue 03-Feb-15 08:31:11

Night driving is becoming more difficult for me too. I was blaming my new(ish) glasses, but perhaps it is my eyes. Driving during the day is perfectly fine. I love driving, and have been a regular motorist since I passed my test age 23. We did not have a car until then!! If I did give up driving I would never get to work. No busses run at 03.00. DH and I are considering moving in to town when he retires next year. We would be able to walk to work then!!

J52 Tue 03-Feb-15 08:23:20

Why should my driving be any worse than a newly qualified, inexperienced driver?
DH passed his test at 17, in London. He is now 65 and has never had an accident or blemish on his licence. Neither have I. We both drive daily. x

mollie65 Tue 03-Feb-15 08:16:25

what do you all think about OAPs (who may only be in their 60s ) being a danger on the road.
At less than 70 years old I find driving at night difficult so avoid it and drive within what I perceive as my capabilities ( and those of the old car I drive) but are we all able to recognise the slow decline that could make us a danger on the road especially if suffering from dementia/alzheimers/poor eyesight.
interesting views on mumsnet
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/2298657-to-support-the-idea-of-re-testing-pensioners-driving?