Gransnet forums

AIBU

Giving up seats to older people.

(44 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Tue 24-Feb-15 14:15:58

Alright. I'm only 73. I know that's not old as such, ie it isn't 83. But surely when a seat on a bus has a symbol of an old man with a stick, it should occur to 8 and 11 year olds to not make a dive for that seat when there are obviously older people nearby. And shouldn't the parents point this out to their spoilt brats with their Disney Princess wheely bags hmm?

And in airports where is a long delay for picking up baggage, should a young mother be keeping the seat next to her with her coat, for her husband? shock And be obviously resentful when asked to move said coat for this old girl to take the weight off her feet.

I despair of the majority of the younger generation, and the things they are teaching their children.

annodomini Wed 25-Feb-15 11:20:26

I spent four days in Rome last month, using mainly public transport. On busy buses and metro trains, I was invariably offered a seat.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-Feb-15 11:23:25

Oh good anno! Going there the week after Easter. smile

glammanana Wed 25-Feb-15 12:01:19

There is a lady who gets the local bus every Saturday to the Supermarket & back again and when she is coming back she sits on the front seat outside seat with her trolley so no one can get to the window seat unless they clinb over the bl---in trolley,she will never move in any way and ignores all requests until a couple of weeks ago a man lifted her trolley to one side and slipped into the seat,if looks could kill hmm so not only youngsters I'm afraid to say.
jings they are so so polite in Rome you will be amazed at the difference to UK.

granjura Wed 25-Feb-15 12:13:29

Good on him- I'd do the same if someone behaved like that repeatedly! ;)

Rome- oh my you do travel a lot Jings- a real jet setter, you!

granjura Wed 25-Feb-15 12:15:50

Forgot to say that here we have excellent public transport- and kids are taught and reminded on a regular basis about giving up seats if necessary- and the bus driver will just instruct them to do so if they forget! And also to always thank any driver who stops at zebra crossings with a smile and a wave. And they do- wonderful.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-Feb-15 12:18:30

grin Singleton DD and I have got our own little travel club going. Girls away trips.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 25-Feb-15 12:20:47

The drivers abroad seem very good about stopping for pedestrians. They seem to expect you to cross while they wait. How often do you get that in the UK?! shock

rubylady Thu 26-Feb-15 03:21:34

Round our way jings you get that all the time. It's just the drivers are waiting to take a bit of a run up at you. grin

granjura Thu 26-Feb-15 20:05:23

I'd say it is totally the other way round- drivers in the UK are much much better at stopping for pedestrians than in say, France or Italy!

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 26-Feb-15 20:27:03

ruby grin

No granjura. They re definitely better on the continent! They slow down, and expect you to go in front of them. It's quite hairy really. There has to be a lot of trust involved. grin

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 26-Feb-15 20:29:54

look I'm right You only have to stick one foot out and they have to stop. It's amazing.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 26-Feb-15 20:31:56

They get fined 135 euros if they get you.

Maggiemaybe Fri 27-Feb-15 06:44:06

On zebra crossings, I think our drivers are the best in Europe. It was explained to us in Italy that the zebra is only a suggestion as to where you might cross more safely - if you're quick. No cars seemed to stop there. And as for Sicily, we were told to cross next to a nun, as all drivers screech to a halt for them!

Falconbird Fri 27-Feb-15 07:07:51

I often sit in the front seats for the elderly disabled as I am 68 and feel entitled smile

If someone older than me or a disabled person gets on I will always move and let them have the seat.

I agree about other cultures being very kind to older people. I like it when a taxi driver is Asian because they are extremely helpful and courteous and impressed that I am still baby sitting, getting about etc.,

Leticia Fri 27-Feb-15 07:40:51

I think I shall be highly annoyed in 4 years time if anyone is impressed that can still get about and babysit! I still hope to be doing my morning runs, skiing and walking long distance footpaths.
I am surprised that people find drivers abroad more courteous then the UK- it is not my experience. They certainly don't understand queuing in many countries.

Falconbird Sun 01-Mar-15 08:29:31

In many Asian countries people age very quickly and can be considered elderly in their fifties.

Their children support them in whatever way they can - so to see the late sixties me jumping in a taxi at 8.am to do a day's babysitting for a grandchild with a cold is a surprise to them. smile

Leticia Sun 01-Mar-15 08:59:42

I will excuse him then!

Falconbird Sun 01-Mar-15 09:20:01

smile