Gransnet forums

AIBU

Jihadi John

(70 Posts)
TerriBull Fri 27-Feb-15 09:51:18

Am I being unreasonable to question whether Sky News or BBC should have given a platform to a spokesperson from a human rights group called CAGE, who described Mohammed Emwaz, previously known as Jihadi John as a loving, gentle, humble, wouldn't hurt a fly individual, albeit if he was trying to justify that his continual harassment by the security services in our country led him down this route. Surely this is a smack in the face to those who have lost their loved ones, in the most horrible way, to this callous individual.

Anniebach Fri 27-Feb-15 15:04:23

I don't think people are born evil, life events can bring about evil acts

TerriBull Fri 27-Feb-15 16:22:48

As originally stated, I think it was reprehensible that both the BBC and Sky allowed this interview to be aired with the spokesperson from CAGE in which the interviewee described Emwazi as a gentle, loving, humble man. Unbelievably crass and insensitive, given the last image the relatives would have seen would be of their loved one kneeling in the sand with this so called "gentle, loving, humble" individual waving a large serrated knife at the camera about to do his worst and CAGE what an unfortunate acronym for this organisation given the way ISIS have taken to using cages of late.

I don't see why these people are allowed a platform they clearly don't represent Muslims, other than the small minority with an axe to grind and their rhetoric has clearly disgusted and offend pretty much everybody.

rosequartz Fri 27-Feb-15 16:46:25

I don't think people are born evil

Research on twins in Denmark has shown that some people are born with more of a pre-disposition than others to evil and criminality.

Life events, grooming and indoctrination all add to the mix.

soontobe Fri 27-Feb-15 16:50:39

I presume people are allowed a platform because of "free speech". I dont want to start again on that subject.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 27-Feb-15 17:28:01

I totally agree with gillybob. The three girls, and this evil man, knew full well what they were doing when they went out there.

I believe some people are born evil.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 27-Feb-15 17:29:22

And, like *charleygirl, I hope the Americans capture him. They will have no daft qualms about an appropriate punishment.

Eloethan Fri 27-Feb-15 19:00:47

No, you're right there jingle, they won't - we've seen that from Guantanamo Bay and Abu Graib, and from the way they treat their own citizens - even juveniles imprisoned for life without parole.

absent Fri 27-Feb-15 19:58:09

I don't suppose that identifying this appalling man will stop the tabloids from using the stupid sobriquet Jihadi John which makes him sound like a naughty boy rather than a ruthless killer. I read that they opted for this nickname because they reckoned he sounded like John Lennon who, for all his many faults, was very much into "peace and love, man". How very appropriate!

Eloethan Fri 27-Feb-15 20:07:27

Having a genetic predisposition is just that - a predisposition, not an inevitability.

The decimation of: Jews/gypsies/disabled people, etc.
in the Holocaust, the Hutus and Tutsis in Rwanda, North American Indians, Australian aborigines and the East Timorese in Indonesia, Cambodians by the Khmer Rouge, etc.,etc,.etc. - were all these killings committed by some sort of evil alien groups of people separate from everybody else?

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 27-Feb-15 20:13:32

My God - yes! Definitely! Evil bastards. (the commanders or those giving the orders, that is)

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 27-Feb-15 20:14:09

And probably most of the solders carrying out the dreadful deeds.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 27-Feb-15 20:16:17

What makes you think the human race is inevitably good? Perhaps in a lot of our part of the world it is, basically. But we have had many more generations of western education.

rosequartz Fri 27-Feb-15 20:43:57

Having a genetic predisposition is just that - a predisposition, not an inevitability.

That is why I added:
Life events, grooming and indoctrination all add to the mix

And others will follow like sheep after indoctrination and brainwashing.

gillybob Sat 28-Feb-15 00:00:31

I think the tabloids (for all their faults) Absent only used the name "John" as a name that perhaps symoblised the fact that they knew he was from England Great Britain. sad

absent Sat 28-Feb-15 00:49:50

gillybob Very possibly, but by giving him any name at all – other than his true one if it were known – with a de-dum-de-dum rhythm somehow begins to normalise the man. It would have been better to have called him the killer or some other accurate word.

thatbags Sat 28-Feb-15 08:34:32

Jihadi John sounds to me like the murdering criminal he is. There's nothing cosy and friendly about jihadism. Jihadists want repressive world domination. Simple as that.

TerriBull Sat 28-Feb-15 09:59:06

I think I read somewhere there are four key personnel from Britain in the ISIS hierarchy and they have taken the names of the Beatles as their pseudonyms , presumably because The Beatles were one of this country's most iconic and world famous groups. Jihadi John being the most notorious and the only one we know about. John Lennon must be turning in his grave this guy certainly aint "giving peace a chance!"

absent Sat 28-Feb-15 19:07:59

bags As I understand it, the great jihad is a personal spiritual striving which, while not cosy and friendly, has nothing to do with repressive world domination. The lesser jihad is what might be described as politico-military Islam.

thatbags Sat 28-Feb-15 23:06:09

Noted, absent.

soontobe Sun 01-Mar-15 07:48:03

I dont like the names either. And things like names do matter.

gillybob. Why did you do England Great Britain?

Maggiemaybe Sun 01-Mar-15 08:03:21

I have the whole JJ thing too. It sounds like a mischievous character in a children's book instead of a cowardly murdering thug. We have Emwaz's name now, and should be using it.

Maggiemaybe Sun 01-Mar-15 08:04:06

hate, not have.

soontobe Sun 01-Mar-15 08:21:50

He was from England. Nothing wrong in saying it.
[I am from England in case anyone is wondering].

And he is called Mohammed Emwazi. Nothing wrong in saying that as well.

gillybob Sun 01-Mar-15 08:58:32

The reason I crossed out the England soontobe was to avoid someone like yourself from jumping straight in and informing me that "actually he was originally from Wales" or what bl@@min ever. Okay. Happy with that explaination? Now which of my posts would you like to nitpick me to explain next?

soontobe Sun 01-Mar-15 09:12:27

Okay. Thank you for that explanation. I will try and remember in future that you like to post a bit loosely. That should stop me having to nitpick decipher!