Gransnet forums

AIBU

Jihadi John

(70 Posts)
TerriBull Fri 27-Feb-15 09:51:18

Am I being unreasonable to question whether Sky News or BBC should have given a platform to a spokesperson from a human rights group called CAGE, who described Mohammed Emwaz, previously known as Jihadi John as a loving, gentle, humble, wouldn't hurt a fly individual, albeit if he was trying to justify that his continual harassment by the security services in our country led him down this route. Surely this is a smack in the face to those who have lost their loved ones, in the most horrible way, to this callous individual.

soontobe Sun 01-Mar-15 09:17:31

For what it is worth, first of all I thought you crossed out England because maybe you are not from England, but didnt want to say that Mr Emwazi is from England, so put Great Britain instead.

soontobe Sun 01-Mar-15 09:19:26

Then I thought that I think you are from England, so I didnt understand your post.
I wouldnt have come up with your explanation by myself.

gillybob Sun 01-Mar-15 10:09:29

Really soontobe ?

Considering how you have pulled almost every post I have made on various threads apart for the last week or so, it surprises me that you had not already checked my profile just incase something else might not have added up for you where you would have seen for yourself that I am from North East England.

To be honest this constant nitpicking is getting rather tiresome. [yawn emoticon]

thatbags Sun 01-Mar-15 10:11:27

I had a Muslim friend in Oxford who went all fundamentalist after she split from her non-Muslim husband. There had been 'issues' before in the sense that she was very sensitive to perceived insults and what she interpreted as racism. Her family had suffered from some racism so it was understandable. She'd grown up in England, benefited from an education she wouldn't have received in the country her family migrated from and really, I always felt, had no real grievance when I knew her. She would, of course, have disagreed with me, and did, and I defended her position many times even when I didn't agree that what she regarded as racism was in fact racism. For instance, she thought a mentor was being racist when the mentor at work asked her to tidy herself up. My friend wore a mixture of western clothes and her culture's traditional clothes and quite often looked untidy, to put it mildly. I thought the mentor had a professional point and that it wasn't the 'style' she was objecting to but the scruffiness at work. I think the mentor would have said the same thing to any of her interns whom she thought were not dressed smartly enough for the job (school teaching). My friend thought the mentor was being racist.

In the end I felt very sorry for my friend because I had come to think that her problem was caused by her feeling deeply torn between wanting to be 'Western' in a Western country but not wanting to let go of her family's culture. Things like the fact that her mother, who had lived in England for more than twenty-five years but had not learned any English (or, if she had, was not letting on) must have influenced my friend, I thought.

The friendship ended when she became an apologist for a terrorist act in Britain. She was no longer willing to talk to me when I disagreed with her 'justification' of a crime against innocent people.

thatbags Sun 01-Mar-15 10:13:05

Sounds as if Emwazi might have been similar, which does not, of course, excuse his appalling behaviour, even if it in some way explains why he is as he is. Is there a name for this tween cultures 'syndrome'?

Elegran Sun 01-Mar-15 10:13:35

I think it may have been a bit of a joke, soontobe as those who are British but not English do tend to notice sharpish when someone uses "England" to mean anyone from the British Isles. From your serious perspective you may think that this is no joking matter, but a touch of humour does lighten the all-over gloom of the subject.

soontobe Sun 01-Mar-15 10:20:18

I may have questioned two other posts gillybob.
And no, I havent looked at your profile. I have only looked at a handful of profiles on gransnet, and yours is not one of them. I dont tend to look at profiles.

I dont actually understand your post Elegran.

Elegran Sun 01-Mar-15 10:23:49

Have you never heard a Welsh or Scottish person react when someone says "English" when they mean "British", soontobe ?

soontobe Sun 01-Mar-15 10:34:18

Help! I havent a clue what you are talking about.

soontobe Sun 01-Mar-15 10:35:23

[I feel very naive but hey ho]

Elegran Sun 01-Mar-15 10:47:54

sooontobe Are you sure you live in the same country as the rest of us? grin

soontobe Sun 01-Mar-15 13:33:44

I must admit I do feel ignorant at times.

Ceesnan Sun 01-Mar-15 13:52:21

Is that why you come across as being somewhat antagonistic to some posters then soontobe? Surely Gillybob has as much right as anyone else to give her opinion, and just because you don't agree with it does not, IMO, give you the right to be so unpleasant. You can agree to disagree without resorting to snide comments after all.

WhiteCloud Sun 01-Mar-15 14:13:44

Come on people. Stick together. This is about a Kuwaiti born Muslim living in UK. I note that JJ has given an interview to Mail on Sunday claiming he is a dead man walking. What else could be done with him should he be caught. Life in protection? Give him back to the land of his birth should he be taken alive. By the way. I will no longer be buying anything from Bodyshop who support CAGE financially.

amarmai Sun 01-Mar-15 14:26:42

Just read in an article that IS is working to bring about the End of Days and the coming of the Mahdi. This parallels extremist Christian groups-different saviour of course. Fox news is backed by this type of US extremist Christian money men. Religious fervour makes violence against non believers as permissible today as it did in the Crusades. I was also surprised to read that more than 60 young British women have joined these soldiers of the Mahdi.Teenagers can be susceptible to born again religion .

soontobe Sun 01-Mar-15 15:09:17

Ceesnan. I dont disagree with her opinion!I still havent actually worked out what she said. So I have no idea whether I agree with it or not. I will have to remain clueless. Someone can pm me if they want to.

soontobe Sun 01-Mar-15 15:12:15

Is that agreeing with what I said on friday at 10.51am amarmai, re what IS is trying to do?

soontobe Sun 01-Mar-15 15:15:31

Are you saying that extremist christians want to bring about the end of the world also?
In which case, that is in no way following the bible.

amarmai Sun 01-Mar-15 15:41:14

I'm not responding to anyone's comments-simply passing on what i read . But my last sentence is a personal comment.