Gransnet forums

AIBU

To stop the traffic at the station this morning ?

(92 Posts)
GrannyTwice Wed 18-Mar-15 08:15:21

I clearly live in a very disadvantaged part of the country (Surrey ) since you ask. The adult literacy rates of the rail station users is appalling. A great many of them cannot read and understand 'this parking space for the use of blue badge holders only'. They appear to misread it as 'a very useful space if you want to wait to pick someone up, pop in to buy your rail ticket or get train information'. When I arrived at the station this morning all bb spaces were occupied and only one had a bb. So I parked my car in the middle of the road blocking the exit from the station, went into the ticket hall and asked very loudly whose cars were parked outside in the bb spaces without a badge. Meanwhile taxi drivers etc were tooting their horns ( they are one of the serial offenders). After a while an embarrassed looking man went to move one of the cars. I offered him literacy lessons but did point out that if he couldn't read, maybe he shouldn't be driving and that he certainly should be able to understand symbols. Apologies to those of you who perceive this as a 'poor me' post - I nearly felt sorry for the --uneducated selfish git--poor bloke. I will now await a wealth of posts about misuse of blue badges. Direct action is very empowering I have to say.

ninathenana Wed 18-Mar-15 11:48:56

grin well done. Many a time I would like to have done this when out with mum.
Just a note on those who look outwardly young and fit, this applies to a friend of mine, who has genuine use of a bb. She is constantly challenged by other users. Very few apologies when she waves her badge at them.

MiniMouse Wed 18-Mar-15 12:05:37

Well done! I wish I were less cowardly when it comes to 'situations'!!

Eloethan Wed 18-Mar-15 12:46:32

Well done to you GrannyTwice - you're very courageous.

maxgran Wed 18-Mar-15 13:00:16

What you did would certainly make a difference, however, I don' think you should start having a go at people for their literacy or lack of !
If those people do have a literacy problem it is not something to have a go at them for.

Elegran Wed 18-Mar-15 13:34:08

If they can't read signs, they should not be driving, so it was a legitimate question. Literacy be blowed, their problem is comprehension - just not understanding that they should not be parking like that.

tiggypiro Wed 18-Mar-15 13:37:25

I can see where you are coming from maxgran but surely if reading is a problem then reading signs when driving would be impossible.

Soutra Wed 18-Mar-15 14:04:26

Oh come on maxgran you don't need to be able to read to understand the symbol in disabled parking spaces!! And don't you recognise sarcasm when you see it? Well done GT, I get cross at the improper use of BB spaces as DH won't apply for one as he says he CAN walk the requisite distance but only very very slowly, with 2 sticks and is frequently out of breath. So I drive him to the station door, drop him off go and park -often a good 10 minutes away and rejoin him. Or we take a taxi at £10 in each direction. sad

Soutra Wed 18-Mar-15 14:04:56

(On top of the train fare to London)

maxgran Wed 18-Mar-15 16:18:32

People who have trouble reading can and do learn road signs. The issue is those people parking where they shouldn't. People who read do it ALL the time.
Deal with them being selfish prats - but there is no need to be sarcastic or accuse them of illiteracy. Just not needed.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 18-Mar-15 16:28:31

Sometimes a hatred of the whole human race does come across in some posts. grin

You could also contact the offices of the taxi companies, and perhaps the local paper. Although that might be less enjoyable for you.

Soutra Wed 18-Mar-15 17:09:25

sometimes a hatred of the whole human race does come across in some posts (16.28)

Oh? And which posts would that be?

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 18-Mar-15 17:14:15

Not yours Soutra. Don't worry. grin

annodomini Wed 18-Mar-15 17:23:15

It is possible to take the driving theory test if you can't read, because there's a speaker icon you can click to have the question spoken. However, I think that would be more time-consuming and it would be much better to be able to read the questions - all multiple choice.

Try it yourself

loopylou Wed 18-Mar-15 17:40:14

For the driving test you wouldn't get very far if you couldn't read.
There's a self-directed section where you're told to drive to a specific destination-if you can't read the road signs to get there.......

JessM Wed 18-Mar-15 17:54:48

Yes I think "go for it" OP as well. Us Brits are too darn scared of making a public fuss. I saw an incident in a HK department store once where a junkie had tried to grab a handbag. 3 women involved were yelling at him at the top of their voices.
When renting a flat last year we had one parking space. Someone (restaurant customer?) parked in it (too lazy to complete 3 minute walk from public car park?) I got a one of those Sharpie maker pens and wrote all over the windscreen, explaining the parking arrangements in the area. Must have been tedious for them having to clean it off.

feetlebaum Wed 18-Mar-15 18:06:03

@GrannyTwice - Not clever to court a charge of Criminal Damage!

Nelliemoser Wed 18-Mar-15 18:25:41

GrannyTwice Well done that woman! I don't blame you at all.
You have a badge you can display so you have the right to park in these spaces.

Given the circumstances I think resorting to direct action is the only way of making people get this parking message. Wouldn't it be good if it got into your local paper!

Other disabled people should try this when their rights to disabled access are overidden by the lazy and selfish.

My local MP has been observed parking in a disabled car parking space while she was attending a function at a local school. There were plenty of spaces available on the site but not many at the front door.

No names no pack drill but it was in Cheshire East.

harrigran Wed 18-Mar-15 18:32:03

It is quite risky to confront people like this, in parts of my city you would be lucky to get away with just a few profanities.

JessM Wed 18-Mar-15 18:54:57

Criminal damage feetlbaum ???

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 18-Mar-15 19:31:29

Plastering a windscreen with un-removeable adhesive?

GrannyTwice Wed 18-Mar-15 19:31:53

Well jings I certainly despise those who park in bb spaces without a bb. Just why the fuck should I have to put in all the effort to get other people to behave like decent human beings? Stopping the traffic this morning was quick and effective - will do the same tomorrow if necessary. As for the literacy comment - oh come on- sarcasm!! As for direct action being dangerous - dahling this is Surrey! Lots of people not wanting to meet my gaze, embarrassed shuffling... No bravery needed just brass neck but then I'm a northerner

GrannyTwice Wed 18-Mar-15 19:33:04

Not unremovable - hard to remove - bit like a car wrongly parked

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 18-Mar-15 19:36:23

Yes, but what does that string of letters mean? Go on. Tell me!

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 18-Mar-15 19:36:56

that was this thread wasn't it? confused

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 18-Mar-15 19:38:45

Oh no. It's the other one.

You could still tell me though.