Gransnet forums

AIBU

Charities 'canvassing' for money

(59 Posts)
KatyK Wed 18-Mar-15 14:55:42

I think there is already a thread on this subject but I can't find it. I have just been left feeling quite tearful after a call from a breast cancer charity asking if I would join their new Lottery (not sure which charity it was). The very pleasant young man asked me how much I knew about breast cancer and gave me various statistics etc. Obviously it ended up with me being asked to contribute about £4 a month to their new Lottery which would mean I could win £1000. I explained that I already give to two charities each month and buy raffle tickets twice a year for one of them and that my DH has prostate cancer at the moment and we have been giving to that charity and Macmillan nurses and that we are living on pensions, so no on this occasion I couldn't help. He then said he would call me back in 3 months to see if 'my circumstances had changed'. I get one of these calls from various charities about once a month. I feel SO bad for saying no. These people are being paid by the charities to, in my opinion, emotionally blackmail people. Surely the money spent on employing these agencies or whatever would be better spent going directly to the charity. I think this particular one got to me because of what we have been through this last year with DH's cancer and of course I would love to help others going through this but I can't. Does anyone else get these calls?

Wheniwasyourage Sat 16-May-15 19:20:09

Nelliemoser, I have gone on about this on similar threads to what I think must be a boring extent, but if you investigate the Charities Aid Foundation (CAF), you might find it answers your needs. You set up an account and then make a regular payment of at least £10 per month into it. If you are eligible for Gift Aid, CAF claims it for you and pays it into your account, and they also take small contributions for their own expenses and for the NCVO. Then you can make online donations out of your account (including the Gift Aid that the charity could have claimed if you wish) or you can use the Charity Card they send you, and in both cases you can choose to give anonymously so that the charities can't get you. We have even sent an extra payment to the account at times so that we can give to a particular DEC appeal anonymously. You can also set up regular payments if you want, and I assume that they too can be anonymous.

The website is a bit slow, and not the most user-friendly one I have used, but it works and you can change which charities you give to without anyone complaining.

Hope that's of use to you. smile

Wheniwasyourage Sat 16-May-15 19:21:38

www.cafonline.org

Nelliemoser Sat 16-May-15 20:02:23

Wheniwasyourage thanks I will look at that.

Anya Sun 17-May-15 14:37:00

My thoughts exactly RosesR

Chase5000 Thu 11-Jun-15 08:45:50

Yes I have had these calls and like yourself explained that I donate to my chosen charities.

The last call I told a white lie. I put on a woeful sounding voice and asked "ae you calling from the hospital"
She said no and I whined "I'm waiting to hear from them".
She apologised and hung up.

Soutra Thu 11-Jun-15 09:10:10

wink

soontobe Thu 11-Jun-15 11:18:44

I have no trouble cutting people like this off. And no way do I feel guilty.
It is them that may need to feel guilty. I dont have any problem with this, or lose any sleep or anything else about it either.
It is their problem, not mine.

FlicketyB Thu 11-Jun-15 15:58:12

Any charity that rings me or lobbies me on the doorstep just gets told firmly that I do not donate money to any charity that contacts me in that way.

If it is a charity that I support I tell them to remove me from their telephone/house to house contact list because if they contact me again in that way I will immediately stop donating to them - and I did do that to one charity

I also have a rule not to donate to any charity by direct debit. I set a certain sum of money aside each month and write a cheque to one charity I support each month on a rota.