Gransnet forums

AIBU

train journey

(44 Posts)
ninathenana Fri 20-Mar-15 16:47:05

Yesterday DH and I were travelling on a packed train when a woman and her friend got on one sat next to me and her friend sat across the isle. The one next to me proceeded to unpack what appeared to be the entire contents of her dressing table onto the drop down table. She spent the entire 1hr+ journey "putting her face on" this was at 10.00. So not commuting time. She had to throw it all back in her bag so I could get off grin AIBU to think this is something to be done before you leave home ?
Also, her friend was moaning about someone the previous day taking her seat when she got up to go to the loo. Would you expect to return to the seat ?

NotTooOld Sat 21-Mar-15 10:04:32

Well, it's more interesting to watch someone's transformation than it is to be forced to listen in to someone else's inane mobile telephone conversation, I say!

I'm on the train.
Nah. Milton Keynes. Yeah.
Wha'? Yeah, I know......no.
He were gorgeous, weren't he?
Yeah, yeah, I know, she were rat arsed......silly cow....
Yeah.
Nah.
And wha' abou' tha' other one....wha'? Yeah, 'im. Wiv the black 'air?
Yer kiddin' me.....nah......and yer know wha'? He's wiv 'er, right?
Yeah, 'e is, I'm no' jokin' yer...no....

I could go on, it's quite relaxing writing that stuff!

Soutra Sat 21-Mar-15 10:30:28

Yes YABU! What is wrong with using the time profitably? OK I might not choose to do it, but other than initial fascination with someone's confidence and dexterity, I wouldn't give it a second thought. <Yawn> back to my Kindle instead.

Oh and as a "regular" between Euston and Milton Keynes, let's all take the mick out of the latter shall we? No mention of Brummie/Black Country/ Estuary English /or any other part of the country. [Hmm]

rosequartz Sat 21-Mar-15 10:36:24

DD1 used to travel to college by train; one of the other girls who travelled with her wore minimum makeup and modest clothes - apparently her parents were quite strict.
On the train she would transform herself with makeup into a vamp snd change into a very short skirt. Then reversed the procedure on the way home!

NotTooOld Sat 21-Mar-15 12:47:34

Soutra - I, too, used to be a regular passenger to Euston but from Northampton, so no slight was intended. I now regularly travel Brum to Milton Keynes/Watford, so could just as easily have inserted either of them. I'm a native Cockney and am always getting the mickey taken out of me! But sorry for any offence.

Soutra Sat 21-Mar-15 14:48:09

smile None taken, really NotTooOld we have probably been on the same trains-I often go from Wolverton as it is easier to get a seat for DH but I also do MK to Brum to visit DD and the DGC!

mrsmopp Sat 21-Mar-15 15:54:52

You don't get any of this behaviour on a bus. I wonder why?

ninathenana Sat 21-Mar-15 17:07:13

There was a stand with a group of lads selling broadband on our high street last week. I couldn't tell you which company as I was distracted by the one spraying his already stiff perfectly groomed hair grin

Soutra Sat 21-Mar-15 17:24:11

1) Bus journeys tend to be shorter
2) no drop down tables?

Ana Sat 21-Mar-15 17:52:16

Potholes.

Elegran Sat 21-Mar-15 17:55:41

Swervy corners.

Elegran Sat 21-Mar-15 17:56:00

More frequent stops and starts.

Elegran Sat 21-Mar-15 17:56:20

Lipstick round ears.

ninathenana Sat 21-Mar-15 17:59:25

grin Elegran

Greenfinch Sat 21-Mar-15 18:57:29

I hate smelly take-away food at night on the train but most of all I detest someone crunching an apple or a bag of crisps in my ear. angry

Stansgran Sat 21-Mar-15 20:14:02

Or eating an orange.

Deedaa Sat 21-Mar-15 21:26:52

Nothing to do with trains, but it does remind me of my mother's story of her days in the ATS. Apparently the (male) CO decided that the girls were wasting time putting on makeup when they were supposed to be dashing to the shelters during night time air raids. After seeing them without make up the next time there was a raid he was so appalled he said they could go back to doing their faces first grin

Maggiemaybe Sun 22-Mar-15 08:18:08

At my old school, oranges got a dishonourable mention in the school rules as "the anti-social fruit".

AshTree Sun 22-Mar-15 08:58:48

I used to commute to London in my youth. In those days the commuter trains had some carriages that were divided into half a dozen compartments with seating for 12 people, 6 each side facing each other, with usually another six people standing in between. It could be very, shall we say, cosy at times!

One morning as we arrived at Liverpool St, the smartly suited and booted city gent sitting next to me stood up to reach for his briefcase on the luggage rack and then looked in horror at his jacket sleeve. It was coated with pale blue fluff from my brand new lambswool sweater. People were all far too polite and buttoned up to actually say anything in those days, but boy was my face red! I never wore that sweater on the train again!