Gransnet forums

AIBU

Corset come-back

(39 Posts)
DinahW Mon 23-Mar-15 13:14:17

Am I being unreasonable? Or perhaps just old and fuddy duddy?

I'm alarmed that some of my g daughters are buying or saving up to buy a corset. I thought those things went out my MY grandmother?

Like many of us here I remember the discomfort of girdles, long line bra etc of the late 1950 and 1960s. Am I the only one to have suffered agonies in a marks and spencer firm control girdle at a hot dinner dance when young?

Do we really want to go back to bones, busks and lacing?

D

loopylou Sun 29-Mar-15 17:57:32

I never had much luck with roll on girdles either, they rolled themselves up and/or down/both.....

janerowena Sun 29-Mar-15 18:33:12

I borrowed a friend's once, when I was about 17. I was convinced that I would be stuck in it for ever with it in a roll around my waist. I thought I was going to have to hack it off with a knife, and she would have killed me!

When I asked to try it on, neither of us even thought of the difference in our sizes. I was a 5'2" size eight and she was a 5' size six.

loopylou Sun 29-Mar-15 19:35:45

grin, priceless janer, that brought back memories!

annodomini Sun 29-Mar-15 22:06:27

Those male designers who design corset-based garments should be condemned to wear them themselves. On second thoughts - some of the might rather relish the idea! hmm

janerowena Sun 29-Mar-15 22:31:16

grin I have to agree. I had a dress once, my mother called it my 'lurid lurex', as it was purple, a long shimmering columnar floor-length, split to the thigh.

My boyfriend asked to try it on. Heels as well, although his feet were way too big so his feet hung off the back of my strappy sandals. Then he wanted makeup. Then I started to worry (despite knowing nothing of such things at the time) and decided I didn't like playing that game. I made him take it all off. He was very disappointed, and I ended it shortly afterwards!

NotTooOld Sun 29-Mar-15 23:34:35

I blame Madonna. Remember the conical bra? Modern day basques seem to be worn on the outside, too. I remember my mother ordering her new corset from a catalogue. When it arrived she would unpack it and lay it on the bed to admire. Thank goodness things have changed. Someone should warn young women about wearing very high heels, too. My Dad warned me about wearing winkle pickers and I took no notice - now I wish I had!

NotTooOld Sun 29-Mar-15 23:35:30

Blimey, Janerowena - you had a lucky escape there! :-)

janerowena Tue 31-Mar-15 15:53:26

I had many narrow escapes, nottoo. grin

annodomini Tue 31-Mar-15 16:17:16

NTO, when I bought a pair of white winkle pickers, my Dad reacted as if I was selling myself on the street. They came to a sticky end in the mud at Henley Royal Regatta and became black winkle pickers thereafter. My Mum didn't go for full-scale corsets but had a roll-on called a 'silkskin' in that horrid 'flesh' colour which forevermore will remind me of 1950s undies.

NotTooOld Tue 31-Mar-15 16:30:28

anno - my dad reacted that way when I bought my first pair of jeans. They were from Woolworths. My daughter in jeans? Shock, horror!

corsetsqueen Tue 28-Mar-17 13:00:26

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MawBroon Tue 28-Mar-17 13:11:41

Reported
shock [yawn emoticon] as I CBA couldn't be bothered to read all the way through.

Elegran Tue 28-Mar-17 13:13:12

"