Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think that is not only bad manners, but unprofessional?

(21 Posts)
Anne58 Wed 01-Apr-15 17:20:42

Good afternoon all,

Had a visit to the dentist this afternoon. They have a team of 2 or 3 different receptionists, mostly very good although one does tend to be a bit abrupt.

The one that was on duty today is one that I have encountered on 3 previous occasions, and each time she was chewing gum, with some of those awful slightly open mouth movements. She was chewing when I arrived, still chewing during checking in other patients as they arrived, and was still chewing when I went to the desk to pay.

I'm afraid to say that I filled in a feedback form mentioning it, and popped it in the box.

Any thoughts?

PS I would guess that she is possibly in her late forties, early fifties, so old enough to know better!

Soutra Wed 01-Apr-15 17:33:16

Perhaps it's Nicorette (cf Carol Middleton at William's Passing Out Parade at
Sandhurst!)
Nasty habit though!

Jane10 Wed 01-Apr-15 17:37:55

I agree. I wonder if people know how awful they look when chewing. You were quite right to record it. I bet the dentists would be appalled to hear that their staff were behaving so unprofessionally.

Nonnie Wed 01-Apr-15 17:40:31

That really annoys me too.

rosequartz Wed 01-Apr-15 17:45:27

You were NBU!

Alex Ferguson used to do it constantly, another reason not to watch football!

J52 Wed 01-Apr-15 17:48:46

I'd make a comment along the lines of cows chewing the cud! A dreadful habit in public! x

kittylester Wed 01-Apr-15 17:50:06

Quite right to report it Phoenix but why had the practice manager or one of the dentists not seen it and put a stop to it!! tbuconfused

Anne58 Wed 01-Apr-15 18:30:23

I'm glad it's not only me! smile

I could have also mentioned her awful haircut, but perhaps a step too far! grin grin

annsixty Wed 01-Apr-15 19:03:25

hmm to the hair cut.

annodomini Wed 01-Apr-15 19:15:21

You did the right thing, phoenix. Singapore was right to ban chewing gum altogether - apart from making a mess of pavements, it is not an attractive habit.

harrigran Wed 01-Apr-15 19:15:47

YANBU, dreadful habit.

ninathenana Wed 01-Apr-15 21:26:27

In a back room office it would be annoying, but face to face with clients it's very unprofessional and down right rude. I'm surprised the dentists allow it.

JoyBloggs Wed 01-Apr-15 22:07:55

Phoenix Good for you! I was sitting behind a woman on the 'Park and Ride' yesterday who was slurping away with mouth half-open. That was revolting enough in a public area, but for a receptionist to do it while at work is just not on. I hope the boss acts upon your feedback form!

AshTree Wed 01-Apr-15 22:29:18

Totally with you on this Phoenix. Rude, unprofessional and with a 'slightly open mouth' downright offensive!

Nelliemoser Wed 01-Apr-15 23:24:47

I would report it. I own up to being a seasoned ichewing gum hater. Those lazy S**s who spit it out onto the ground and those who chew gum when they are supposed to be talking to you or serving you in a shop or such.

I expect the employer probably did not know.

Eloethan Thu 02-Apr-15 00:25:46

It wouldn't bother me.

Teetime Thu 02-Apr-15 07:54:58

I hate it- chewing anywhere anytime- I think its smells atrocious and its quite horrible to see the contents of someone's mouth let alone the awful mess it makes of the pavements. I would complain.

nannyfran Thu 02-Apr-15 09:38:59

Quite agree Phoenix, hope your teeth are OK!

Anne58 Thu 02-Apr-15 10:05:20

Thank you all.

nannyfran it looks like one will have to come out quite soon sad

A couple of the nurses came to the desk and must have seen her chewing, but it appears that no one on the staff is bothered by it! As I said before every time I have seen her on the desk she is chewing, so I can only assume that she does it all day!

nannyfran Thu 02-Apr-15 10:47:33

Phoenix, I hope the "tooth fairy" is kind to you!

jo1book Thu 02-Apr-15 22:38:16

My husband chews gum in the car, then wraps the gum in old sweet papers and chucks them on the floor until the pile is big enough for the bin.