Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think that is not only bad manners, but unprofessional?

(21 Posts)
jo1book Thu 02-Apr-15 22:38:16

My husband chews gum in the car, then wraps the gum in old sweet papers and chucks them on the floor until the pile is big enough for the bin.

nannyfran Thu 02-Apr-15 10:47:33

Phoenix, I hope the "tooth fairy" is kind to you!

Anne58 Thu 02-Apr-15 10:05:20

Thank you all.

nannyfran it looks like one will have to come out quite soon sad

A couple of the nurses came to the desk and must have seen her chewing, but it appears that no one on the staff is bothered by it! As I said before every time I have seen her on the desk she is chewing, so I can only assume that she does it all day!

nannyfran Thu 02-Apr-15 09:38:59

Quite agree Phoenix, hope your teeth are OK!

Teetime Thu 02-Apr-15 07:54:58

I hate it- chewing anywhere anytime- I think its smells atrocious and its quite horrible to see the contents of someone's mouth let alone the awful mess it makes of the pavements. I would complain.

Eloethan Thu 02-Apr-15 00:25:46

It wouldn't bother me.

Nelliemoser Wed 01-Apr-15 23:24:47

I would report it. I own up to being a seasoned ichewing gum hater. Those lazy S**s who spit it out onto the ground and those who chew gum when they are supposed to be talking to you or serving you in a shop or such.

I expect the employer probably did not know.

AshTree Wed 01-Apr-15 22:29:18

Totally with you on this Phoenix. Rude, unprofessional and with a 'slightly open mouth' downright offensive!

JoyBloggs Wed 01-Apr-15 22:07:55

Phoenix Good for you! I was sitting behind a woman on the 'Park and Ride' yesterday who was slurping away with mouth half-open. That was revolting enough in a public area, but for a receptionist to do it while at work is just not on. I hope the boss acts upon your feedback form!

ninathenana Wed 01-Apr-15 21:26:27

In a back room office it would be annoying, but face to face with clients it's very unprofessional and down right rude. I'm surprised the dentists allow it.

harrigran Wed 01-Apr-15 19:15:47

YANBU, dreadful habit.

annodomini Wed 01-Apr-15 19:15:21

You did the right thing, phoenix. Singapore was right to ban chewing gum altogether - apart from making a mess of pavements, it is not an attractive habit.

annsixty Wed 01-Apr-15 19:03:25

hmm to the hair cut.

Anne58 Wed 01-Apr-15 18:30:23

I'm glad it's not only me! smile

I could have also mentioned her awful haircut, but perhaps a step too far! grin grin

kittylester Wed 01-Apr-15 17:50:06

Quite right to report it Phoenix but why had the practice manager or one of the dentists not seen it and put a stop to it!! tbuconfused

J52 Wed 01-Apr-15 17:48:46

I'd make a comment along the lines of cows chewing the cud! A dreadful habit in public! x

rosequartz Wed 01-Apr-15 17:45:27

You were NBU!

Alex Ferguson used to do it constantly, another reason not to watch football!

Nonnie Wed 01-Apr-15 17:40:31

That really annoys me too.

Jane10 Wed 01-Apr-15 17:37:55

I agree. I wonder if people know how awful they look when chewing. You were quite right to record it. I bet the dentists would be appalled to hear that their staff were behaving so unprofessionally.

Soutra Wed 01-Apr-15 17:33:16

Perhaps it's Nicorette (cf Carol Middleton at William's Passing Out Parade at
Sandhurst!)
Nasty habit though!

Anne58 Wed 01-Apr-15 17:20:42

Good afternoon all,

Had a visit to the dentist this afternoon. They have a team of 2 or 3 different receptionists, mostly very good although one does tend to be a bit abrupt.

The one that was on duty today is one that I have encountered on 3 previous occasions, and each time she was chewing gum, with some of those awful slightly open mouth movements. She was chewing when I arrived, still chewing during checking in other patients as they arrived, and was still chewing when I went to the desk to pay.

I'm afraid to say that I filled in a feedback form mentioning it, and popped it in the box.

Any thoughts?

PS I would guess that she is possibly in her late forties, early fifties, so old enough to know better!