Gransnet forums

AIBU

A drain on the NHS

(63 Posts)
NanKate Mon 13-Apr-15 17:40:22

I read in the paper today that a Nigerian woman flew to the UK when she became pregnant with quintuplets and remained here with her sister until the birth. The babies were born at 32 weeks and cost the NHS £35,000 a week for care.

She said she did not have the money to cover the cost of the caesarean birth and aftercare , even though it turns out that her husband is a wealthy business man who owns a logistics company and a hotel and business centre in Lagos.

How long are we going to fund people who have not contributed a penny to this country. We must be seen as a soft touch to anyone who wants to abuse our NHS.

I am fumingangry

whitewave Mon 13-Apr-15 19:51:25

So what is your NI number for then?

Ana Mon 13-Apr-15 20:02:55

I thought you could get one of those as soon as you've moved to the UK, in order to apply for work.

Ana Mon 13-Apr-15 20:03:41

So it wouldn't prove that you'd been here long enough to claim free NHS treatment.

whitewave Mon 13-Apr-15 20:10:10

But wouldn't it tell the different agencies how many contributions you had made?

Ana Mon 13-Apr-15 20:24:07

Maybe, but what if you'd been born and bred in the UK and never paid any NI contributions?

absent Mon 13-Apr-15 20:24:56

One problem with people who are not entitled to free NHS care is that the NHS is not properly geared up for charging them and, even when they are charged, some simply don't pay. If someone has expensive treatment and then simply leaves the country without paying, not much can be done about it. They certainly can't keep someone in hospital until they have come up with the money – not when there are already so many complaints about elderly bed blockers. Hospitals cannot be turned into debtors' prisons.

Insisting on showing a passport wouldn't help either. I have a UK passport but I am not entitled to free NHS care as I don't live in the UK, although I do pay UK taxes. There must be plenty of people who live, work and pay taxes in the UK who are not British citizens, so don't hold a British passport but who are entitled to free NHS care. I suppose their passports would contain residency or work permit authorisation of some sort.

Free NHS care does not depend on how many NI contributions have been made and nor should it.

whitewave Mon 13-Apr-15 20:29:56

ana if you have never worked for a particular reason e.g. mentally infirm. disabled etc etc, you get pension credits. There are a number of reasons allowable.

whitewave Mon 13-Apr-15 20:30:34

I meant NI credits confused

Ana Mon 13-Apr-15 20:36:42

If you have never worked because you went straight from home to get married or live with someone, didn't have children and never worked then you wouldn't have NI credits. Especially if you were in a same-sex relationship or didn't actually marry.

Ana Mon 13-Apr-15 20:39:43

But as absent says, NI is probably not relevant.

whitewave Mon 13-Apr-15 20:49:22

OK - I seem to have got that wrong.

durhamjen Mon 13-Apr-15 20:53:44

Do you actually know anyone fitting that description, ana?

durhamjen Mon 13-Apr-15 21:02:07

Labour party manifesto dealing with the press.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CCd2N38WEAApneh.png:large

Ana Mon 13-Apr-15 21:02:15

Of course not. It was an extreme example of someone who wouldn't necessarily have ever paid NI contributions.

Obviously.

durhamjen Mon 13-Apr-15 21:03:49

So what was the point?

Ana Mon 13-Apr-15 21:05:41

I was responding to whitewave's post of 20.29.

Ana Mon 13-Apr-15 21:06:54

And to the whole idea of one's NI number being used to prove eligibility for free NHS treatment.

Do keep up.

harrigran Mon 13-Apr-15 23:31:02

When I took ill in France, and needed to see a doctor, I had to show my passport and pay up front before the doctor would even look at me. I don't see why visitors to this country should not do the same.

durhamjen Mon 13-Apr-15 23:33:34

It wasn't just an extreme example; it was an impossible example.

rosequartz Mon 13-Apr-15 23:36:59

When I had to go to A&E in Australia no-one even wanted to look at my passport, health card or anything. They just treated me - very well I must say.
However, I do take out private health insurance when I go there just in case.

Jane10 Tue 14-Apr-15 20:47:14

Surprised to hear a French newspaper complaining about UK health tourism. Surely we're entitled to with the E111 card. We've had to use it once. All worked perfectly. We paid for prescription though which was absolutely fine with us.

annodomini Tue 14-Apr-15 21:47:25

The EHC (formently E111) is for emergencies which can hardly be called 'health tourism'. I have insurance as well when I go to the Continent as the EHC doesn't cover emergency repatriation in the event of serious illness, injury or fatality.

MargaretX Wed 15-Apr-15 09:26:00

I have a British passport and have received care on the NHS in A&E. I assumed they would contact the German authorities and be paid.
They did not seem interested especially as I was not taken into hospital.
Now I take out extra health insurance when I come to the UK.

I know there are a lot of British people coming over to Germany for knee operations.The NHS pays for them. It is no longer the 50s when the NHS was small and efficient. Nobody travelled much then and anyone falling ill would be treated. My daughter was treated in hospital in Sicily in the 80s and didn't have to pay a penny.
As for the DM This story is to confuse readers with the woman expecting quads who lives in Berlin. I don't know how anybody can read it! Not if they want to keep up on the real news of the day.

annsixty Wed 15-Apr-15 09:36:02

Last year I was at A&E and as it was crowded we went outside for some fresh air. We got into conversation with two ambulance drivers who were waiting for a call. They told us that they sometimes get calls to go to Man airport which is quite close, to take a passenger off a plane and take them to the nearest hospital as they have been taken ill on the flight. They said they are then treated,operated on etc and then go on to the relatives they were supposedly visiting. They certainly implied that the reason for the visit was for treatment. If I am allowed (well I have done it anyway) it is mostly PIA on which the emergency occurs and it is usually a heart condition.

Lilygran Wed 15-Apr-15 10:21:05

I was in involved in a minor traffic accident and because the police had been called, an ambulance arrived as well. No-one needed it so it went away. Some days later I received a bill for ambulance services. It was a very modest bill but I was rather surprised to get it. I was told it was standard practice in the case of a road accident and the insurance would pay, which they did. Has anyone else had this happen?