Gransnet forums

AIBU

A drain on the NHS

(63 Posts)
NanKate Mon 13-Apr-15 17:40:22

I read in the paper today that a Nigerian woman flew to the UK when she became pregnant with quintuplets and remained here with her sister until the birth. The babies were born at 32 weeks and cost the NHS £35,000 a week for care.

She said she did not have the money to cover the cost of the caesarean birth and aftercare , even though it turns out that her husband is a wealthy business man who owns a logistics company and a hotel and business centre in Lagos.

How long are we going to fund people who have not contributed a penny to this country. We must be seen as a soft touch to anyone who wants to abuse our NHS.

I am fumingangry

GrannyTwice Wed 15-Apr-15 10:33:57

Not happened to me but I know it's in legislation

Coolgran65 Wed 15-Apr-15 13:47:21

My dil from USA was ill for a couple of days with extremely rampant high temperature, vomiting etc. I was giving her paracaetamol and cold cloths but she is very anti any medication. My other dil who is a nurse checked her and said that USA dil really needed a doctor's opinion.

I phoned the local health centre and GP phoned back, discussed symptoms and temperature and said he'd leave a script. He said not to worry about payment even though dil had travel insurance. I'm sure he'd have been entitled to charge for the 'private' telephone appointment, and also would have thought that payment would have been expected for the prescription.

Mamie Wed 15-Apr-15 14:27:50

I thought this article was interesting. Apparently treating UK visitors to the EU (mainly France and Spain) cost five times as much as EU visitors to the UK. That doesn't get so much publicity does it?

www.theguardian.com/society/2015/apr/07/treating-uk-tourists-in-europe-costs-five-times-more-than-equivalent-cost-to-nhs

numberplease Fri 17-Apr-15 17:00:16

About 30 years ago, my in-laws, who were visiting us from elsewhere in England, were involved in a car crash in town, the car was a write off, but thankfully they were OK, but they received a bill for their treatment from our local hospital. It surprised me, I thought that as UK citizens they`d be entitled to free treatment?

harrigran Fri 17-Apr-15 17:34:28

Traffic accidents are not covered by NHS, they need to recover costs from motor insurance.

Lilygran Fri 17-Apr-15 18:40:52

It seems odd if traffic accidents aren't covered. Is it just that they can charge and the patient will get it from the insurance company? Why not other kinds of accident? Accidents at work, school or university, in shops and so on? People are always suing because they've been injured somewhere. Maybe the NHS could expand the policy?

GrannyTwice Fri 17-Apr-15 19:04:31

My understanding is that it is only the ambulance that is charged for, not any subsequent treatment

rosesarered Fri 17-Apr-15 21:15:03

Number please, this is surprising. I thought NHS covered all treatments, including car accidents, what if drivers are not insured?Many these days are not!

harrigran Fri 17-Apr-15 22:53:31

Not just the ambulance, the whole cost of treatment is recovered from insurance. If you don't have insurance you are liable for the costs incurred and if you injure someone and are not insured you go to jail. It is a crime to drive without insurance.

Ana Fri 17-Apr-15 22:59:06

It may be a crime, but the number of convictions is pitifully low. Those who are convicted usually get a desultory fine.

GrannyTwice Fri 17-Apr-15 23:03:03

Ana - yet again, I could not agree with you more. Driving without a license/insurance/whilst banned seems to be treated as on a par with ringing a doorbell and running away. I've never understood the leniency with which it is dealt

Envious Fri 17-Apr-15 23:26:44

I was in the Hospital in Amsterdam and they came to my room for payment. Not sure what would happen if Id said no I can't pay. hmm